Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do i need to be the alpha dog?

Options
  • 08-01-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Ive had my springer spaniel puppy for around a month or two now and i love him to bits.Only problem is he used always bark and snap at my heels and my family members.Lately iv come to the belief that he is doing this because he is trying to assert his dominance over me and i should't let it continue.The past few days anytime he would try and bite me or bark at me I have quickly turned him on his back and shout 'no'.The first time i did it i did it maybe a bit too hard so he would get the idea and he let out a big yelp.now anytime he barks or bites at anyone in the house i upturn him forcefully and he doesn't struggle anymore or try and bite.This seems to be working so far.Am i doing the right thing?I'ts important that i'm not making the dog shy because i'm going to train him up soon as a gundog.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stop that nonsense !

Throwing the dog on its back will achieve one of two things ...it will either make him loose his trust in you and make him very insecure, or it will make him bloody angry and you just bloody :D

First of all ...you are human, he's the dog ...there is no point in you attempting to be the alpha DOG, as both you and he know that you are not a dog. Attempting to mimick pseudo-dog behaviour (just because someone, somewhere has observed a wolf on their back in front of another wolf) is confusing at best, dangerous at worst.

Secondly, the alpha-rollover doesn't exist in the canine world. Yes, wolves display submissive behaviour by presenting their belly to a higher ranking wolf and even some dogs do that from time to time ...but no wolf ...and especially no dog ...ever ...would forcefully (and outside of play) throw another wolf/dog on its back ...unless they're fighting for life or death. Therefore forcing your dog on its back is a very forceful and (life-) threatening gesture to the dog.

Not only is this way over the top as a means of correction (you don't threaten children with possible death just for being boisterous, do you?) but it also achives the direct opposite of what you're aiming for.

A good leader (and that is what you want to be ...not alpha dog) is firm, calm, just and measured ...whereas somebody that flies off the handle and overreacts becomes untrustworthy as a leader.

Even (and especially!) a dog knows that much.

So you'd want to be firm, calm, just and measured from now on.

As to your problem on hand ...

As you say "puppy" I assume that he's still young, so his behaviour has nothing to do with "dominance" ...he's just young and boisterous and testing his boundaries.

So you need to "explain" these boundaries in a way that he understands and that show you to be leader rather than an "alpha"

If he starts barking and snapping again, turn away and tell him "No!" , ignore him otherwise.

If that doesn't show any effect after several tries, put your hand over his snout (firmly, but not brutally/painfully) thus preventing him from snapping and tell him "No!" again

If he still continues his antics, then just scoop him up unceremoniously and throw him out (into the hall / outside ...somewhere where you can get to quickly and where he's on his own and safe) and only let him in again after a cooling off period of a few minutes (preferably at a moment when he's not whining just outside the door)

That should make it clear to him that snapping is not on.

From then on, just watch him, and when he shows the first signs of acting up just tell him "No!" before he gets going ...nothing impresses a dog more than a leader who can "read" its thoughts!
    Also the very beginning of an undesirable action is always the best time to stop it, rather than the frenzied middle of it.

Good luck !

Advertisement