Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nike

• 08-01-2008 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

What are the best running shoes nike do?
    pegasus seems to be popular.vomero any good?structure triax?
    equalon 2???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

If you want them for casual wear..... 360s are the most comfortable, but they're not exactly durable.

"Retro" versions of older Nike running shoes aren't usually as well made as the original versions.

If you want shoes for actual running, go with Asics or New Balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

I would second xanthor's advice. From hearing other runners opinions and from experience (the triax messed me up for a while), I would stay away from the nike runners. They do have nice apparel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i do a hell of a lot of road running, and i ALWAYS run nike.
    ive had 2005 pegasus(great all round), nike air max moto, nike air max moto2,
    nike air skylon, all fantastic.
    i used asics for 7 or so 8 mile runs......pure ****e tbh, way too hard, shin splints, knees in bits, put me out for 3 weeks, this is after being told the right gel to get for my weight and running style. avoid.
    asics have a 70% market share in irish running, mainly due to hype(and arnotts buying shed loads just to sell in a sale:rolleyes:).
    most top runners cant be wrong, very few run in asics, alot more use nike.
    i have asics spikes for XC, they are okay, but rubbish on track. then again most irish tracks are ****.
    having said that you have to be careful to get the right nike runners, all runners in the bowerman series are designed different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 johnnyfox24

I used nike pegasus for the marathon and training and found them to be excellent. The pegasus has been considered so good nike haven't majorily changed the design of them (apart from colours etc) for the last 15 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I personally don't like NIKE runners. Find they fall apart quite quick. Asics is my favorite brand. Different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Whatever you are used to has a lot to do with it. A couple of years ago I changed from Asics 2010s to Pike Pegasus and got a mild case of plantar, although they felt nice and soft. I changed from supportive to neutral so probably my fault but people will tend to favour the shoe they are used to and may react adversely to a change. (difference in the foot movement in different shoes leading to injury). To avoid injury, any shoe change might neccitate a period of easy running to allow small foot movement adaptions due to the new shoe.

Asics seem to be stronger in the supportive cushioning area which seems to suit the majority: depending on weight or efficiency: Kayano, 2110-30, DS-Trainer. All good runners.

Dont agree with Arnotts/hype arguement kona, only 25% of runners are Dublin based and able to avail of Arnotts sales.

Sorry Lindab! Not helping much with your original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Changed from Asics after a good while in 1120's/2120's.
    Am using Adidas Supernova control 10 now, much better for an overpronator.

Depends on your gait really.
    Nike would be bottom of the list unless you are getting flats.

T runner wrote: »

Dont agree with Arnotts/hype arguement kona, only 25% of runners are Dublin based and able to avail of Arnotts sales.

that is a good point but i still think that this is the case , as there are waaaaay more asics in that sale than any other brand.
    People can easily come up to dublin to get them, especially as most will buy a heap of them up here.
    With runners it is totally what suits you, but i find nikes runners seem to suit me better than asics. Isnt there a place in bray that measures gait etc and will advise you on the right runners, this is the best option tbh.
    nike had one of these in arnotts a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

kona wrote: »
    . then again most irish tracks are ****.

Not in my experience, unless of course you are used to mondo types and are pushing for a low 9.8 in your 100's! I've been on many tracks in the UK that are a lot worse than our worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

There is its called amphibian King, theyre on line now http://www.amphibianking.ie/. I did the gait test and they were very good even guessing correctly that I had previously injured my ankle due to one of my feet pronating more than another.

I like the grip on the Nike Pegasus: would be great for a bit of training on and off road in the summer. Kona, do you know of a lightish Nike shoe (possibly supportive) with similar grip that I might use for summer trail races? Prefer road shoes with good grip to trail shoes for these races.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Tingle wrote: »
    Not in my experience, unless of course you are used to mondo types and are pushing for a low 9.8 in your 100's! I've been on many tracks in the UK that are a lot worse than our worst.

**** sprinting, doin a 10k and a 5k in spikes aint fun in santry, but then again ive asics:D:D;)
    i wouldnt expect the uk to be much different, now europe, thats a different story, i ran in belgium and my god!! we dot know what we are missing here

T runner wrote: »
    There is its called amphibian King, theyre on line now http://www.amphibianking.ie/. I did the gait test and they were very good even guessing correctly that I had previously injured my ankle due to one of my feet pronating more than another.

I like the grip on the Nike Pegasus: would be great for a bit of training on and off road in the summer. Kona, do you know of a lightish Nike shoe (possibly supportive) with similar grip that I might use for summer trail races? Prefer road shoes with good grip to trail shoes for these races.
    Thanks

nike air skylon i found great for on and off road training during the summer, BUT i used the older model,however, the new one runnersworld slated.
    if they still do air max moto2, these are the best all round runners ive ever had.
    but again if you are doin training on grass , cushioning aint too important.

**** sprinting, doin a 10k and a 5k in spikes aint fun in santry, but then again ive asics:D:D;)
    Oops sorry, thought you were a sprinter because you were talking about spikes, do sloggers really wear spikes, surely not, there should be a law against that:D

Oops sorry, thought you were a sprinter because you were talking about spikes, do sloggers really wear spikes, surely not, there should be a law against that:D
    i do because in runners in is mad, too bouncy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

I used nike pegasus for the marathon and training and found them to be excellent. The pegasus has been considered so good nike haven't majorily changed the design of them (apart from colours etc) for the last 15 years!

I ran in Pegasus for several year until 2005 model, which I bought and used and found to be quite different to previous models in terms of cushioning and support and resulted in me getting shin splints. Since then I have run in Asics Kyano(which I got in the US twice now for around €50 less than Ireland).

Bottom line is get a shoe that suits your size, weight, frequency, running form etc. If in doubt visit amphibian king for a custom fitting and don't worry too much about the brand name. But do expect to pay a little more for a decent quality shoe and know that it really is worth paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lindab

Changed from Asics after a good while in 1120's/2120's.
    Am using Adidas Supernova control 10 now, much better for an overpronator.

Depends on your gait really.
    Nike would be bottom of the list unless you are getting flats.

Depends if u are mild pronator or severe.....
    Nike do some really good spikes and flats.air structure triax i am using and not as bulky as
    most runners in its category.Adidas really have gone downhill in the last decade.I think Nike have improved in the last couple years.Pegasus is still one of the best selling runners ever.Brooks seems to be kicking ass in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭daveyrovers

Brooks seem to be huge in the states alright. Not sure if that's just Americans buying their "own". It's a very individual thing, some people prefer the fit of Brooks some people like the feel of Nike and other people wear Asics cause their friend told them to (only joking!)

nike are american too.
    tried out the structure triax last night, my god they are stiff at the toes!!
    same with the new peg!
    ill be sticking with my motos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Nike free?

Jay P wrote: »
    Nike free?

dear god no!
    such a gimmick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

if you actually look at the breakdown of brands for the new york marathon asics is by far the most popular brand with nike very far down the list..........ipso facto

racso1975 wrote: »
    if you actually look at the breakdown of brands for the new york marathon asics is by far the most popular brand with nike very far down the list..........ipso facto

Supermarket bikes are crap, but there are way more than decent bikes. Marketing plays a big role, and I have to give asics full marks.
    just because a load of charity runners use them, wont make me buy them.:D:D
    from experience nike is better for me.
    i do understand there is a time you have to achieve to run this marathon, but charities are a exception.

lets say whats the break down in brand for athletes doing sub 2.50??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Could only ind this on a santa barbara 10 miler too tired and drunk to look for more
    But, as it turned out, neither Nike nor Adidas was the really big shoe in Santa Barbara Running. That distinction goes to Asics. Of the top 50 finishers in the 10-mile race, 14 of them wore the modified tic-tac-toe appliqué on their heel-to-toe covers. Here is the complete list of top-50 shoe finishers:

Asics 14
    Nike 12
    Adidas 6
    Saucony 6
    New Balance 4
    Mizuna 3
    Brooks 2
    Barefoot 1
    Fila 1
    Loco 1

Still shocked NIKE 2nd..... Would rate top 5 bramds as

!) Asics
    2)Mizuno
    3)new Balance
    4) Brooks
    5)Adidas

Marketing plays a big role, and I have to give asics full marks.

Are you saying Asics are a bigger marketing whore than Nike?

For the long stuff (on the road) I'd say Asics are better for me while the shorter track stuff Nike are better for me. Had more injuries wearing Nike when doing long runs which disappeared when I switched to Asics. It's personal and what's best for you. In fact I would have been cautious to switch to Kayano or Kinsei as I would say they are slogger or marathon shoes and would be recommended to me by marathon runners and God forbid if I was to be perceived as a slogger or marathon runner;). I began wearing them and they are great. The Asics marketeers must be using some great reverse marketing pyschology techniques if they got me to use them (as the Nike ads appeal more to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Are you saying Asics are a bigger marketing whore than Nike?QUOTE]

I think Asics have much better marketing, all their ads are really good. Quality over quantity my friend

Are you saying Asics are a bigger marketing whore than Nike?

For the long stuff (on the road) I'd say Asics are better for me while the shorter track stuff Nike are better for me. Had more injuries wearing Nike when doing long runs which disappeared when I switched to Asics. It's personal and what's best for you. In fact I would have been cautious to switch to Kayano or Kinsei as I would say they are slogger or marathon shoes and would be recommended to me by marathon runners and God forbid if I was to be perceived as a slogger or marathon runner;). I began wearing them and they are great. The Asics marketeers must be using some great reverse marketing pyschology techniques if they got me to use them (as the Nike ads appeal more to me)

depends on what area of the market your aiming at.
    nike make alot of cash from skangers and air schmax.(bright colours and big steroid junkies for the fellas, and hot girls in tight clothes for the girls)
    asics dont.

but as regard to a running market, irish runner etc, the last issue i had, saw more asics than nike.
    nike is more popular with runners doing compeditive times, than with 'fun runners '.
    but this is kind of a useless debate as with runners its all personal preferance, just pisses me off when people reccomend asics to everyone.
    in my opinion they are crap, in your opinion they are good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

While we're on the subject of shoes, this is a clip from yesterday's Houston Marathon report on chron.com, won by Kenyan David Cheruiyot.

At 37, Cheruiyot says he has never been stronger, and he gives much credit to his somewhat controversial new shoe, manufactured by an upstart El Paso-based company, Spira Footwear.

Spring in his step
    The Spira has two small springs imbedded in the sole at the ball of the foot and is, for the moment, technically illegal, although USA Track hasn't banned it because there are no conclusive tests showing it offers any kind of competitive advantage.

Offering a strong endorsement for the brand, Cheruiyot said in a statement through the company's CEO, Andy Krafsur: "The shoes were great. They provide me with the opportunity to race more often with less recovery time between races.

"Likewise, the Spira training shoes allow me to train at a more intense effort level while protecting me from injury. Houston was my third marathon in less than four months. There is no way I could do that without Spira."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭daveyrovers

Where are you getting the figures for the New York Marathon?

There was a poster up in the corner of Elverys on Suffock street about 3 years ago for the New York marathon and it had Asics at 19% and Nike second at 18% of the market share at the marathon.

Asics in Ireland I reckon is close to 90% market share amongst runners? There's no evidence to back this up this is just my personal estimate, don't know what other people think. You can't get a lot of the brands in Ireland easily like Brooks and Saucony.

I like Asics and think they make some very good shoes, what concerns me is Physio's who just recommend Asics if you're a runner. It really depends on what way your foot works and the width of your foot, there are other brands out there!

I agree that for the Technical running market, Asics marketing campaign is streets ahead of Nike. In fact when it comes to Technical running shoes Nike don't do themselves any favours, they are seen as a fashion brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Scott Hall

Asics are the best running shoes and they don't employ children to work in sweat-shops for peanuts.

• Advertisement

Scott Hall wrote: »
    Asics are the best running shoes and they don't employ children to work in sweat-shops for peanuts.
    :confused::confused:
    do you have experience to back up asics or are you just the "PC brigade??"
    im sure they do employ kids too.
    they wouldnt be in business if they didn't.
    and if nike didnt employ these kids who are unbelievably poor, how do you propose a family that is barely able to feed itself, put food on the table without the cash the kid makes???
    in a ideal fairyland world its wrong, but the world isnt a ideal fairyland world.im just lucky i was born here and in this age of money.
    otherwise im sure my mother would have had me working in a factory 15 years ago.
    id be a manager by now.

and everything is relative, whats peanuts in asia, is most likely the equivelant of €5 and hour here, now what does a 14 year old earn part time here:rolleyes:

Advertisement