Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD-DVD has lost

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Has anyone bothered to mention that Microsoft really don't care what format wins as they want us all downloading/streaming our movies.
    and unfortunately for a lot of us Xbox live is the only way at the moment to get HD movies.
    As the price goes down i will buy a HD player but not at todays prices and i can't see Irish Broadband upping the speed of their service anytime soon:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Longfield wrote: »
    Fact is HDTV is mainstream in America and slowly but surely coming mainstream here in Europe with SkyHD BBCHD and now C4HD , to deny that is to bury your head in the sand.

HDTV is here and isn't going away - Blue ray has won, buy a Blue Ray player if you can afford it, I cant but fully expect to next time i buy a movie player.

Nobodys saying HDTV or Video isn't going to be popular... Whats being said is that its doubtful that the BR or HD-dvd formats will ever full take off. In the states there are numerous services starting up that will download full 1080p movies to ur STB, I really see it taking off... Movies, TV etc all on demand in HD.

If I want a HD movie I realistically need to go online n order it from overseas(selection in Ireland is cack)... Its much easier and quicker to download a movie. Sure, right now there's limited ways and sources but in time it'll be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

And Let me guess Jaytee.... You own a ps3?

And Sony PWNZERS M$?

*sigh*

Omg, He just said that he thought it looked great, but no, you had to turn it into something else ffs, typical :rolleyes:

back on topic, I dunno, I think Blu-Ray will take off in a few years time, there are alot of people out there who like to have a physical disk and lets not forget that a HD movie (from my experience) is about 1.4GB (the actual movie itself) and considering that the Ireland still doesnt have Broadband through the line available to everyone yet, I just dont think we are ready for downloading HD movies yet.

Well thats my opinion anyway :)

Benzino wrote: »
    lets not forget that a HD movie (from my experience) is about 1.4GB

A dvd movies is about 9gb... A HD movies nearer 20-30gb... more on blu-ray.

A compressed download on xbox live averages about 8gb...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

unklerosco wrote: »
    A dvd movies is about 9gb... A HD movies nearer 20-30gb... more on blu-ray.

A compressed download on xbox live averages about 8gb...

Well i was referring to the actual movie itself, non of the features of anything, hmm maybe the place where im downloading my movies aren't full hd after all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

And Let me guess Jaytee.... You own a ps3?

And Sony PWNZERS M$?

*sigh*

Muppet. I have a 360 and not a PS3. I was just pointing out the facts so as to have a discussion thread. And quite a good discussion we've had here I think.

As for downloading movies, yeah Ireland is well ill equipped for that lark.
    Check the stats on www.speedtest.net.
    Places like Romania have vastly superior average speeds to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Longfield wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks dvd is the be all and end all is wrong, plain wrong, we would all still be using crts if that was the end of it.

Fact is HDTV is mainstream in America and slowly but surely coming mainstream here in Europe with SkyHD BBCHD and now C4HD , to deny that is to bury your head in the sand.

HDTV is here and isn't going away - Blue ray has won, buy a Blue Ray player if you can afford it, I cant but fully expect to next time i buy a movie player.

As has been pointed out nobody is debating this. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are far from mainstream in the US at the moment. I'm just back and though about picking up a few over there. There was only a tiny selection of both in the likes of Wal-Mart and Barnes & Noble. To be honest the selection on the shelves over here is pretty much the same.

Don't know what the HDTV penetration is like over there. The family I was stating with didn't have one. Another I visited did. I think they are quite fond of their 4:3 aspect ratio over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Thank god i bought a PS3. I went over to the states a few weeks ago planning on getting the HD DVD add on. But when I was in shops like Best Buy, Circuit City and Virgin it was obvious that Blu Ray was winning. The Hd DVD sections were about a 1/4 of the size of blu ray. There was always people browsing the Blu Ray section and the HD DVD sections were always empty.
    Also I save a load of money buying Region 1 Blu Rays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

p0rn was a major factor in VHS beating betamax. It could still be a factor this time round though probably not as big thanks to the internet....

Looks like Sony haven't made the same mistake twice though: linky

That said i'm sitting on the fence until there is a clear winner (and a 360 bluray drive if its bluray). Happy with dvd and downloads for the time being.

oh and i talking about regular movies, not p0rn. Who in their right mind would buy a p0rn DVD when we have the internet? :D

Benzino wrote: »
    Well i was referring to the actual movie itself, non of the features of anything, hmm maybe the place where im downloading my movies aren't full hd after all ;)

Doubtfull, sure superbit dvds(dvd with just the movie n soundtrack) r still 9gb....

Most HD-Dvds and BR so far only have the movie in HD, the rest of the footage is in SD n usually compressed... Thats what i've found. Think 300 is the only movie I have that has extras in HD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

No one has "won" anything yet, for god sake, it'll be another 2-3 years before either will start to make in-roads into DVD's stake and by then downloading will be big too (I know we might not have the best speeds but there are far bigger places that do, and they like movies too)

I wouldn't be throwing out your HD-DVD player yet, the only thing I'll be rushing out to do is get the Matrix boxset on HD-DVD before they stop making them ;)

Then just go and buy a PS3 then you'll have both formats and you'll also be able to get the only game worth getting for the PS3......Gran Turismo ;) only messing PS fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Suppose Sony had to win a format war, God loves a trier eg, Betamax MiniDisk UMD ect. Wish this news had come a week earlier I wouldnt have backed the wrong horse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Suppose Sony had to win a format war, God loves a trier eg, Betamax MiniDisk UMD ect. Wish this news had come a week earlier I wouldnt have backed the wrong horse....

Sony don't own Blu-Ray. It's a joint venture between a few companies including Samsng.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Advertisement