Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus 8800GTS 512MB

Options
  • 08-01-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I've just ordered one of these off dabs.ie for €280. As far as I can make out it's a bargain. 8800GT demand has driven prices up to the €290s and is even effecting 3870 prices. But for some reason this 8800gts card has dropped from the usual €330 prices and it's actually in stock! It's the same core as the GT but with more stream processors and a decent stock cooler. I've read a review that showed the OC'd version of this card beating the €450 GTX !

Unless someone comes on here and tells me I've made a horrible mistake then grab yourself one if you've been waiting around for the 8800gt's like me:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4XG9&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=8800gts&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Yes very good deal,they had a dabsvalue 8800gts for €265 but they are not stock anymore.....wont get a better deal anywhere imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

No you're right thats a good price. The GTX will bench better at extreme resolutions but seems to beat or match it up to 1680 x 1050. Nice oc'd MSI 730MHz, with the memory at 1,944MHz and the Shaders at 1,825MHz on dabs for €330.
    Review
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4664&Itemid=40

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Here's the OC'd version review I was talking about. With the cooler that the normal version comes with I think it's definatly worth trying to OC it.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2436&cid=3&pg=6

Here's a review of the actuall card (slow site):
    http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=507&Itemid=27

I ordered mine along with a case, psu, keyboard etc. And just as I pressed BUY the keyboards went out of stock so now I've to wait for them :rolleyes:

@Dingatron: Nice rally game thrown in aswell. Looks like a good deal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I've been reading a few reviews on the 512mb gts, and apparently the stock cooler is a load of shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dabs are really putting out some good prices lately. HD3870 with free Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts (worth 30 quid) - 195 euro. Ordered one last night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I don't know. I recently changed my two 320MB 8800GTS cards for one 512MB 8800GTS (soon to be 2 ) and I have to say the single card is giving the same performance (even in 3D mark 06 ) as my 2 320MB cards. Cooler is also just as quite and nice as was the old GTS cards. I'm pretty happy. The extra RAM onboard makes a huge difference too also.

The thing that put me off the 8800GT was that I think the stock cooler isn't up to the job of cooling the card. I have read so many 8800GT's dieing / overheating / failing / crashing all due to getting too hot.

8800GTS performance = great! Can't wait to get a second.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Anti wrote: »
    I've been reading a few reviews on the 512mb gts, and apparently the stock cooler is a load of shite.
    I was comparing it to the single-slot 8800GT - having read about alot of 8800GT OCing failures due to poor cooling (on the memory especially). I wouldn't say the stock GTS cooler compares to most after-market coolers though.

@HavoK - it's a pity I'm still waiting for them to answer my response to their security check. I thought having a verified PayPal account would bypass it... :rolleyes:

Advertisement