Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Restaurants

Options
  • 17-03-2006 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Mod Edit: Snipped from an old Restaurant thread that keeps getting dragged up.

Just bumping this thread to recommend Freddie's Bistro on Theatre Lane, great food and an affordable early bird menu, 3 courses for 25 euro. Is easily one of the best restuarants I've been to in Limerick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 -kaz-

Hey, could anyone tell me what way the steakhouse is, price-wise, please? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ivorygal

Other than that I cant recommend the Market Square Brasserie enough. Staff are very nice and efficient, atmosphere is fantastic and food is really amazing..[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, have been there twice and the food, service and setting are sensational....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bloody hell this thread is 2 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

russels have a place in raheen ind est, its well tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tonywalshh

AZUR is by far the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

tonywalshh wrote: »
    AZUR is by far the best

Great lunch there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

anyonen been to the chipper on O;Connell st where that awful mexican used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't believe no one has mentioned Bambu yet! Am i the only one that likes it? Everytime i've been there has been excellent! Highly recommended!!! And you've already said Bella Italia (pricey, but decent portions and quality food!).
    ...that awful mexican...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I went to the Copper Spice restaurant last Thursday in Annacotty , it was damn damn good. From the poppodoms and dip to the main meal, it was beautiful. Also , my mate is from Wales and loves to have curry dish they do in the UK called Dopiaza, so he asked and they were more than happy to make it. I got the dopiaza aswell, so so good, its like a Vindaloo but less hot with onions, chicken, and thinly sliced peppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

How old is this thread - half the places mentioned have shut down!!

For really really good food you cannot beat Brulles (Henry St). It's expensive but it is brilliant. Wokking and teh Jasmine are great for chinese and the Texas Steakout is grand for big groups & a bit of tex-mex. There is a good indian down by the Clarion as well (Mayur). Another vote for Azur as well, though they can be pricy. Great lunches in Sage Cafe as well, real foodie heaven! The Bruschetta Bar is a new Italian that's worth a look as well.

Tragically there are far more awful places than good ones. I am always amazed when people talk about Lugi Malones as being good - it's very, very average food and teh prices are high for what you get. Service can be shocking at times. IMO not worth it. Copper & Spice used to be teh standout curry house but I have been there a few times recently (both places) and teh quality just isn't as high as it was - in fact it dipped badly when they opened teh 2nd venue. It's a shame as Brian and Seema are sound but it's not as good as it was (please, please improve it - I miss it!!). BT's new resteraunt / lucherie is also way off teh scale - diabolical prices for what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Places I'v eaten in and would go/have gone back to..
    Texas Steakhouse
    Jasmine
    La Piccola

Lugi's is grand..nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭SEORG

Can anyone recommended a restaurant that has good veggie options on the menu.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

SEORG wrote: »
    Can anyone recommended a restaurant that has good veggie options on the menu.

Thanks in advance

Mogul Emperor. the best in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 PiP 101

Fusion restuarant out in dooradoyle top notch service and grub big menu lots of choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

tonywalshh wrote: »
    AZUR is by far the best

I have to disagree. I was only there once and while my starter (goat's cheese) was gorgeous, but my main course (hake) wasn't great, it was overcooked and my dessert (rum and raisin pudding without even a hint of rum :() was very disappointing. The smell in there was horrible too.

The Green Onion is nice, as is Penz, and Harris's is good too (mmm creme brulee). I like Peony Court and Z We Ton for Chinese. The food in the Locke is good, nothing fancy but tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

i'm sorry here now but did i see someone earlier reccomend woking for food. i dont think i have ever had worse chineese than the woking does, the place is an absolute disaster, give you feck all vegetables, beef is mostly grizzle and the seafood is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've snipped this thread to remove any old irrelevant posts and remove recommendations about restaurants that are no longer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I have enjoyed two fine meals at Freddie's Bistro on Theatre Lane and he Market Square Brasserie both with good service ( Market Square is the better one though).

I think I was in the Mogul Emperor, food quite good, but decor is terrible?

There's a small Italian cafe beside the spar in Castletroy near the hotel. Cucina ( I think), the pizza's there are as good as you'll get abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

trevufc wrote: »
    Mogul Emperor. the best in Ireland.

I totally agree, i've been there three times in the past 3 months and it is amazing, and very good value. The best Indian in Ireland (i've been to!)

on a side note, the best Indian i've been in in London is "Memories of India" in Kensington. Even better than the Mogul....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

RINO87 wrote: »
    i'm sorry here now but did i see someone earlier reccomend woking for food. i dont think i have ever had worse chineese than the woking does, the place is an absolute disaster, give you feck all vegetables, beef is mostly grizzle and the seafood is dire.

I totally agree again... for me "The Shamrock" chinese on the ennis rd. (beside supermac drive-thru) is the best, most consistant chinese restaurant in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The Bruschetta Bar???

Where is this??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Im an ex-limericker, currently in Melbourne for my sins. I had my going away party in a little Mexican restaurant, it was next to the Locke on George's Quay. Actually there is that place,(Los amigos possibly?), and that is also right next to Moll Darby's. Moll Darby's used to do this fantastic crab cake starter that was just great, and their steaks are good, but very pricey and got less and less impressive as I went more. Totally agree about Freddy's though... That trilogy of seafood... my god its the best starter I have possibly ever had, though some of their seafood mains are disappointing. What was with that chilli seabass wrapped in a banana leaf? Fair enough if it works, but you can't use chilli to mask the flavour of a fantastic piece of fish!
    I really didn't like Azur. The staff and service were great, but they over-complicate dishes and the quality of the main courses was quite poor, not in terms of ingredients or presentation, but the tastes and flavours are muddled.

Dolan's actually did a great little line in pub grub too, in fairness that is a nice reasonably priced place to eat. If you are interested in a trip out Killaloe direction, the Cherry tree is just bloody incredible.
    Bambu is nice, partic at the price, but the heat in there is something fierce, and the size of the place makes me feel quite clostraphobic. They do great lunches though.
    That Milano place on the quays does some great salads for cheap, and nice pizzas considering they are a chain. I missed out on La Piccola but have heard great things.

And then there is always that mystical chicken hut gravy......

**drool**

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

I have to say that the Thai Gourmet in Glentworth Street (under The White House Pub) has the most amazing food. The mixture of Oriental tastes is just sensational, and I never feel heavy and stuffed after it. They only use the freshest ingredients and never use MSG.
    I can picture their Pad Thai dish now! mmmm! my mouth is starting to recall the flavours.
    Also the White House is well worth a visit for the craic afterwards. Try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Luigi Malones is terrible unless you fancy burnt overpriced food. There is a great new Chinese opposite Westbury beside the Tesco express called China-Ki. Easily the best Chinese in Limerick. Their other stuff is great too especially the Fillet Steak in Black Pepper Sauce. Heavenly. Tried that Indian down in the market beside Copper & Spice. Gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Bruchetta Bar is on one of the streets by Mount Kennet, linking Henry St and teh Dock Rd

To clarify - I wasn't saying Wokking for an evening meal. I go there for lunch occasionally and it has always been excellent, but each to their own. The Shamrock is great too - used to go a lot when lived that side of town. China Ki on the other hand had the single most aggressive waitress I have ever come across. If you are that side and looking for a take away then Bamboo Garden in Grove Island is worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Bruchetta Bar is on one of the streets by Mount Kennet, linking Henry St and teh Dock Rd

To clarify - I wasn't saying Wokking for an evening meal. I go there for lunch occasionally and it has always been excellent, but each to their own. The Shamrock is great too - used to go a lot when lived that side of town. China Ki on the other hand had the single most aggressive waitress I have ever come across. If you are that side and looking for a take away then Bamboo Garden in Grove Island is worth a look.

I found the service in China-Ki to be exceptional. Very friendly. Maybe she was just having a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I have to disagree. I was only there once and while my starter (goat's cheese) was gorgeous, but my main course (hake) wasn't great, it was overcooked and my dessert (rum and raisin pudding without even a hint of rum :() was very disappointing. The smell in there was horrible too.

The Green Onion is nice, as is Penz, and Harris's is good too (mmm creme brulee). I like Peony Court and Z We Ton for Chinese. The food in the Locke is good, nothing fancy but tasty.

Isn't the Green Onion gone? Or have they moved?
    BTW Texas Steak Out is a dump we complained (quietly and politely) about the lousy food there once (raw chicken and stodgy rice - very nice) they got right snotty and the Chef made snide comments as we left after paying full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Texas Steak house has a chef!!!!!!!!

China Ki is an excellent Chinese alright. It seems to have the same menu as Dim Sum in town also excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Texas Steak house has a chef!!!!!!!!

China Ki is an excellent Chinese alright. It seems to have the same menu as Dim Sum in town also excellent

Yeah it's the same people! Same great food! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Has anyone eaten in the Texas Spur in the Crescent? And:

1. How big are the steaks?

2. Do you reckon a reservation is necessary for a Saturday lunchtime?

Advertisement