Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulking Up from 62kg

Options
  • 08-01-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

After 4 years of flutering about in the gym with no real progress, I've decided to put the effort in this year. Will post up before picture and gym programme also. All comments welcome.

Aim: To increase muscle mass and reduce body fat.
    Problem Areas: Very high metabalism, 8 degree pronation of right foot (counteracted by orthotics), slight excess weight around waist.

Stats (8/1/2007)

Weight: 62kg
    Height: 5' 6"
    BodyFat%: 13% (I think)
    Chest: 90cm
    Chest Expanded: 93cm
    Waist: 81cm
    Bicep Relaxed: 29.5cm
    Bicep Flexed: 32cm
    Thigh: 50cm
    Calf: 35.5cm

Sample Diet
    6.30am: Shake (2 Kiwi, 100g frozen berries, 15ml Udos Oil, 100g Nat Yoghurt, 30 g seeds, 10g Whey)

8:30am: Muesli + Skim Milk, 1 slice wholemeal, peanut butter, banana

12:00pm: Chicken + Rice OR Tuna Mix in Wholemeal Pitta

2pm Gym

3pm: Protein Shake, Carrot & Walnut Muffin, Banana, Apple

6pm: 4 Egg Whites/1 Yolk, 50 g Nat Yoghurt, 10g Dark Choc, Mandarin

9pm: Chicken Breast, Pea Soup (Homemade), 50g Nat Yoghurt

Total: 2500 cals, 170g protein, 290g carbs, 90g fat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 awesom-o

Whats your training routine like? Looking forward to reading your journal. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Benburb Dog

Hi Monkey Man.
    I have similar objectives. Although I weight 75k so for the short term, I hope to build muscle and reduce body fat to see definition, while maintaining my weight or increasing it a little.

Question: How do you manage all those meals and foods? I would like to do the same but I don't know how to organize it all. Any tips would be appreciated.

Another Question: Do you have any routines you prefer? I'm coming to the end of a 6-week routine from Men's Health Magazine. I think it is good and has given me a good foundation / warm up for harder workouts. But now I'm researching other routines. I prefer when they are "packaged" in 6 week plans or so, as it is easier to commit ... an accumulation of little steps is what I'm thinking of.

I will let you know when I post my log if you are interested. I will post before / after pics too, although since I am an expert photoshop user I may be tempted to give my body a quick photoshop workout :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Here is the training plan I am on at the moment. I'll be doing this for 3 weeks. Then I'm off to South East Asia for 2 weeks, so will probably struggle to keep the weight on.

Either the 5 days of weights below or else 1 day of 5-a-side soccer and drop one of the chest days.

Number of sets is the first number and reps is the second number

Monday - Back & Shoulders
    Sets Reps
    Overhand Pull-ups 4 12
    Superset 1
    Clean and Jerk with a front squat 4 10
    Weighted twisting back extensions 4 12
    Seated Rows 4 8
    Upright Rows 4 8
    Reverse Flys 4 8
    Dumb-bell deadlifts 4 8
    Core Workout
    Weighted Sit-Ups 4 8
    Reverse Crunches 4 8
    Hanging Leg Raises 4 8

Tuesday - Chest & Obliques
    Sets Reps
    Flat Dumb-bell Press 5 12,8,6,6,2
    Superset 1
    65-degree incline EZ bar press 4 6
    45-degree incline flies 4 6
    Pull-Overs 3 8
    Dips 4 8
    One-arm cable rotational press 4 8
    Core Workout
    Decline Russian Twists 4 8
    Side Leans 4 8
    Bicycle 4 8
    20 min Run

Wednesday - Legs
    Sets Reps
    Farmers Walk 4 12
    Jump Squats 4 8
    Leg Press 4 10
    Leg Extensions 4 12
    Squats 4 6
    Calf Raise 4 15
    Seated Calf raise 4 15

Thursday - Arms
    Sets Reps
    Underhand Pull-Ups 4 12
    Exagerated Dumb-bell Curls 4 8
    Sumo Curls 4 6
    Ape Curls 4 10
    Superset
    Overhand Cable Push-Downs 4 8
    Overhead Cable Press 4 8
    Underhand Cable Push-Down 4 8
    Close-Grip Bench Press 4 12
    20 min Run

Friday - Chest & Abs
    Sets Reps
    Dumb-bell Bench Press 4 12
    Double hand Pull-Overs to Flat Fly 4 8
    Superset 4 6
    Seated Chest Press 4 10
    Press Ups to Failure
    Peck Deck 4 8
    Core Workout
    Decline Russian Twists 4 8
    Side Leans 4 8
    Bicycle 4 8
    Bar-Bell Rollout 4 8

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Hi Monkey Man.
    I have similar objectives. Although I weight 75k so for the short term, I hope to build muscle and reduce body fat to see definition, while maintaining my weight or increasing it a little.

Question: How do you manage all those meals and foods? I would like to do the same but I don't know how to organize it all. Any tips would be appreciated.

I take 20 - 30 mins in the evening to prepare most of what I will have the next day.
    I'd prob cook 2 chicken breasts and some roast veg and throw it all on the baking tray. Say butternut squash + chicken, add some cooked pasta and pine nuts. Next day add some goats cheese to it for lunch.

Smoothie in the morning takes 2 minutes and I bring in on the train.

Scrambled eggs in the evening only takes minutes.

Fruit and nuts and protein shakes on the go all the time.

Best advice is to sit down on Saturday and plan the week ahead roughly and head off to supermarket on Sunday and get what you need. Essentials for me are eggs, mozzarella, nuts, fruit, peppers, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, chicken, chickpeas, tuna, sweetcorn and 4 large pots of low fat natural yoghurt.
    Another Question: Do you have any routines you prefer? I'm coming to the end of a 6-week routine from Men's Health Magazine. I think it is good and has given me a good foundation / warm up for harder workouts. But now I'm researching other routines. I prefer when they are "packaged" in 6 week plans or so, as it is easier to commit ... an accumulation of little steps is what I'm thinking of.

The workout posted above is from Mens Health in January 2007 I think.

Advertisement