Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ComputeTy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

You're spot on with the reason why the labs aren't full McGinty. It's because the noise level in 125 has become so bad at times that people have stopped coming into the lab. I know a number of fellow fourth year CA students who felt they had to to revise for their exams in the Henry Grattan building or Library. There is no way this should be the case for final year students. I remember in third year when L125 was a 4th year only lab. It used to be great to go in there at times when you needed to get some work done and the other labs were too noisy. 125 was always quiet then.

Making L128 a postgrad lab was a mistake. We are losing labs because they're not being used enough (at certain times) and then when it comes to times where a larger number of people use the labs we cannot get any work done because of the noise levels caused by shoving third years (SOME of which are VERY disruptive and have no intention of working or letting others do any work) in with fourth years. The ironic thing is that since 128 was made a postgrad I haven't exactly seen it full. In fact it's been mostly empty anytime I've had a look in. The fourth years should be given L125 to themselves and the third years should be allowed use L128. If the labs are so empty as people claim then the few postgrads which currently use 128 can surely find another computer. Maybe make L125 a fourth year/postgrad lab

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Anyone interested in petitioning em? I'd be quite happy to sort out a sheet that can be signed by 3rd and 4th years in L125 for people to leave their name on it. It's a joke that we're expected to work in these conditions and actually do well in our courses while these computeTY people get to come in and run wild (anyone see the state of the lobby today? Wet toilet paper all over the place).

As was said already, the reason there're no students in the labs is that the environment is not conrtibutive to a productive workplace.

We need proper enforcement of the lab rules by lab staff.
    Restricted labs for 3rd and 4th years.

In Padraig's defense, I know that he's been emailing and meeting with college staff in an effort to improve the situation, but everyone's efforts seem to be largely falling on deaf ears and it's time we brought it into our own hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Im repeating 3rd year myself so I know most of the 4th years too along with the 3rd years now in my class.
    Finger pointing at each other isnt gonna do anything except aggravate the situation and increase tensions already brewing.

With the new semester starting soon Im sure both years will get their asses into gear and get into project mode.

edit: good idea dregin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Wilburt wrote: »
    With the new semester starting soon Im sure both years will get their asses into gear and get into project mode.

I'm assuming seen as they've cant be bothered staying quiet during exam revision that a project ain't gonna be any different with them.

Im all for a petition dregin but unfortunatley for us we wont see any benefits from it :mad:

I have already asked stephen blott about re-assigning L125 as 4th year only like previous years and he said that would not happen. How about all 4th years ask for a fyp machine and reserve the whole lab :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Well then we the students will have to just tell people who are being loud to be quiet.
    I remember back in 1st year we wanderd into L125 during the second semester, we were shouted out of the place by one particularly agry 4th year (SE i believe :p ) anywho none of the people in the group stepped foot inside the place again.

staff cant be expected to keep watch outside all the time, theyre not bouncers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wilburt wrote: »
    Well then we the students will have to just tell people who are being loud to be quiet.
    I remember back in 1st year we wanderd into L125 during the second semester, we were shouted out of the place by one particularly agry 4th year (SE i believe :p ) anywho none of the people in the group stepped foot inside the place again.

staff cant be expected to keep watch outside all the time, theyre not bouncers

That's what I can't understand... ye'z haven't just told them to shut the **** up? It's not like they're gonna do anything about it. It is CA ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

That's what I can't understand... ye'z haven't just told them to shut the **** up? It's not like they're gonna do anything about it. It is CA ffs.

i did that today and it worked fine... like i said they apologised and we're quiet afterwards which is commendable. I'll be saying it every day i'm in there too.

but the point is we shouldn't have to enforce the rules, we're paying students of DCU. I'd love to hear if UCD, Trinity & UL's computing students have to deal with this crap around their exam time? i seriously doubt it.

Dregin: good plan on the petition, worth a try anyway. just show me where to sign :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

i did that today and it worked fine... like i said they apologised and we're quiet afterwards which is commendable. I'll be saying it every day i'm in there too.

but the point is we shouldn't have to enforce the rules, we're paying students of DCU. I'd love to hear if UCD, Trinity & UL's computing students have to deal with this crap around their exam time? i seriously doubt it.

Dregin: good plan on the petition, worth a try anyway. just show me where to sign :D

Yea so there were a bad group of students, the first time you asked them to pipe down they stopped being noisy... "enforcing the rules" is a bit much. You had to say one or two words and it stopped. And they will be quiet in the future now because someone actually had the balls to OH MY GOD tell them to shut up. My point being that it wouldn't have been a big deal if you all didn't accept it and crouch in a corner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

We aren't accepting it. When I first arrived in DCU at the beginning of time, this wasn't an issue. There're certain groups who continuously make a racket regardless of the number of times they've been told to shut the **** up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No, the situation will most likely not change in the second semester, hence most people worked on their projects at home. If you do, however, all book a project machine you can lock it down, make people get up if they're using it or simply not use it while standing there admiring how pretty it is. Either way no one else will be able to use it hence solving your problem.

It is a rather radical solution but I'm amazed Blott was so adamant that it wouldn't be made into a fourth year lab. Dregin is right that, it was never a real problem when we first came here but it has gotten worse over time. Next semester is going to be pretty bloody busy for you guys between FYP and other module projects so I'd really consider the above situation if you want to get some work done in the labs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Yea so there were a bad group of students, the first time you asked them to pipe down they stopped being noisy... "enforcing the rules" is a bit much. You had to say one or two words and it stopped. And they will be quiet in the future now because someone actually had the balls to OH MY GOD tell them to shut up. My point being that it wouldn't have been a big deal if you all didn't accept it and crouch in a corner.

You clearly arent aware that these people have been told on numerous ocassions to keep the noise down yet they continue to disrupt others in the lab. Asking only works with some of them and it doesnt seem to be working with the repeat offenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

I think the bustling atmosphere in L125 is refreshing and seeing those guys playing bomberman really takes me back ... they should bring the computeTY kids in there to show them what its really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

cognos wrote: »
    I think the bustling atmosphere in L125 is refreshing and seeing those guys playing bomberman really takes me back ... they should bring the computeTY kids in there to show them what its really like.

Wow, that's one positive outlook on life you have there! The bomberman guys are mates of mine but sometimes they're clearly too loud. That said the lab has been a lot quieter for the past two days, since this thread was brought to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Berking

Camroc is spot on. The bomberman lads have barely made a sound in the last few days. But the lab was still as loud with other people talking since then. The problem is a lot more widespread than just a few third years. And to say that particular group(who i know well) aren't interested in work is way off the mark. While i accept their noise earlier in the week was completely unacceptable, you cant expect them not to get distracted and take a break for a while given that they've all pretty much been putting in 9 to 9 days for the last 3 weeks, and have been in working on saturdays and sundays. Since McGinty politely asked them to be quiet there hasn't been a word from them, even when they were taking a break from work. They apologized to him and they're not disrupting anyone any more so why don't ye give them a break. Same cant be said for other people unfortunately.

Berking wrote: »
    Camroc is spot on. The bomberman lads have barely made a sound in the last few days.

They're cramming thats why!.
    The problem is a lot more widespread than just a few third years.

Agreed, this is not being disputed. But you clearly agree they're the main cause.
    you cant expect them not to get distracted and take a break for a while given that they've all pretty much been putting in 9 to 9 days for the last 3 weeks, and have been in working on saturdays and sundays.

Im trying really really hard not to be nasty with this but you're having a laugh.
    They've been like this from the start of the semester. I've had to say it to them from day 1 and they are not always as nice about being quiet.

Oh and by the way are you suggesting we're not putting in them hours, in fact we're doing more and for longer not just 3 weeks...and our little breaks dont cause that level of disturbance.

Yeah you're right there has been a marked improvement in the last few days but im putting that down to the exams as i asked some to be quiet a few days before Stickey and it didnt last long.
    Same cant be said for other people unfortunately.

Who's this aimed at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Berking

Believe me they're not cramming for a UML exam. And i agree that they WERE the main cause, but don't expect to be hearing much from them even after the exams.
    And no, im not suggesting you don't work as hard, i'm simply refuting earlier comments that they were not interested in working.
    And that last comment was aimed at the very large number of 2nd, 3rd and 4th years who were shouting in the lab at 9'oclock yesterday morning. No one in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Back on topic here, the Compute TY students were a bloody joke, especially the kids from the Donahies, did ye see the state of the lobby? and they raided the first aid kits aswell, probably look for a few clean needles, little maggots. Talk about scum. I reckon someone should fly a plane over their schools while there in class and drop a shed load of napalm on them. And the fact that they got most of the computing labs... and all the ones with decent computers, during the week of exams was an absolute joke. I surprised theres any computers left in the building. And yeah I know L114 was open, but tbh the computers in there are terrible. why not give them to the bloody scum? and it was full of people who clearly didnt give a chit about their exams, shoutin and mess the whole time. Its all well and good to have a laugh, but at exam time, come on, and if you have to mess go outside and play. And them maggots were running through L114 aswell shouting at each other, when they arent even mean to be on that part of the floor. And one more thing about the CA buildings, if I go into one more bog that is full of doodoo, has doodoo on the fing lid of the seat or has doodoo on the wall, im going to go postal and leave a bomb in there. How hard is it to flush a bloody toilet, and if you go into one that has a nice floater waiting for you, flush the bloody thing, dont add to the collection. I swear to god im gonna start dumpin in the urinals and the sinks.

[/rant]

Back on topic... followed by a rant about the jacks nice :D We should ask for someone to police the bog while we're on a roll :p

Well I figured I may aswell let it all out in one go. I'm sure computeTY help in the fowling of the bogs this week, but it would be unfair to blame it completly on them as the bogs seem to get worse every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

cowan wrote: »
    And one more thing about the CA buildings, if I go into one more bog that is full of doodoo, has doodoo on the fing lid of the seat or has doodoo on the wall, im going to go postal and leave a bomb in there. How hard is it to flush a bloody toilet, and if you go into one that has a nice floater waiting for you, flush the bloody thing, dont add to the collection. I swear to god im gonna start dumpin in the urinals and the sinks.
    [/rant]

ROFL legend.

I know I am coming into this topic late but hey! It is ridiculous about the lab situation. I know that Landa2 has been doing a lot about this, but saying that when both labs are full, that then and only then another lab will be opened is a joke. Its hard enough to study in a lab half full, yet alone packed. I have not been into the 3rd and 4th year lab even though it was opened up for 2nd year us for this time, not because of the noise, but seriously dudes do you know what deodorant is? When that lab is full it STINKS lol. My problem about studying in lg25/26/114 is to be honest the group of Chinese students that sit at the back of 114 mostly, there very very noisy and high pitched.

Also for those that say we should use the library or the Gratten to study.. why should we? The main reason I presume for CA to have so many labs would be for the software we need.. Your not going to go into the library and find dos/java/c/c++/haskell compilers, editPlus eclipse(both **** mcedit ftw) or the graphics programs the 3rd and 4th years use, all of that wonderful stupid expensive stuff.

Also if you where to kick the 3rd years out of the L125 where are they to go? I know last semester on a Tuesday afternoon 2nd years had no lab to go to at all... they where taken up by ca1/maths and the only free lab L208 was then taken away.

</ramblings>

Kat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

cowan wrote: »
    Back on topic here, the Compute TY students were a bloody joke, especially the kids from the Donahies, did ye see the state of the lobby? and they raided the first aid kits aswell, probably look for a few clean needles, little maggots. Talk about scum. I reckon someone should fly a plane over their schools while there in class and drop a shed load of napalm on them. And the fact that they got most of the computing labs... and all the ones with decent computers, during the week of exams was an absolute joke. I surprised theres any computers left in the building. And yeah I know L114 was open, but tbh the computers in there are terrible. why not give them to the bloody scum? and it was full of people who clearly didnt give a chit about their exams, shoutin and mess the whole time. Its all well and good to have a laugh, but at exam time, come on, and if you have to mess go outside and play. And them maggots were running through L114 aswell shouting at each other, when they arent even mean to be on that part of the floor. And one more thing about the CA buildings, if I go into one more bog that is full of doodoo, has doodoo on the fing lid of the seat or has doodoo on the wall, im going to go postal and leave a bomb in there. How hard is it to flush a bloody toilet, and if you go into one that has a nice floater waiting for you, flush the bloody thing, dont add to the collection. I swear to god im gonna start dumpin in the urinals and the sinks.

[/rant]

Totally agree about the toilets. Disgusting. The girls jacks are just as bad according to the girls on my course. I did my undergrad in Maynooth. Every single toilet was in disrepair but there was no **** on the walls or crap like that. Who the **** does that?

Computing students in dcu.

Advertisement