Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling cup semis (scores)

• 08-01-2008 9:18pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Chelsea 1-0 up against Everton at the mo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Chelsea 2-1 Everton :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

anyone know what the story with the Mikel red is? If it is up held, does he serve it while away on international duty, or does it only start when he comes back from the ANC?

I know in european competition a player has to be potentially available for selection for a suspension to be carried out. I think it was a team a few seasons ago that had a player that wuold have missed the first 5 group games through suspension so they didn't register him as part of their squad for the group games. When it came to the knockout rounds, he was still suspended because as he was not available to be picked for the group games, his suspension was never carried out.

Mikel will not be available for selection for Chelsea, so can his suspension be carried out; Everton have been forced to release Pienarr to South Africe so they couldn't play him if they wanted to, the same would apply to Mikel.

I know players have served suspensions while injured (Keane served his 3 month ban by having an operation) but technically an injured player is still available for selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That happened to Boywer as far as I know^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astrofool wrote: »
    That happened to Boywer as far as I know^

thought it was but then was thinking... "newcastle, in the CL....surely not!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal - Spurs tonight. van Persie is in the squad.

Ever the optimist I expect Spurs to win this tie overall (maybe not the game tonight). I don't think the reserves will repeat last year's feat; Spurs will have more motivation to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It'd be some "feet" if they did manage to win though, two different sets of kids doing well in the PL and Cup respectively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm thinking they have to beat us at some point and it could we'll be tonight.

I'm not really too fussed about the Carling Cup (wasn't impressed when in Cardiff for the final though :() - could do with a few less fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Tauren wrote: »
    anyone know what the story with the Mikel red is? If it is up held, does he serve it while away on international duty, or does it only start when he comes back from the ANC?

I know in european competition a player has to be potentially available for selection for a suspension to be carried out. I think it was a team a few seasons ago that had a player that wuold have missed the first 5 group games through suspension so they didn't register him as part of their squad for the group games. When it came to the knockout rounds, he was still suspended because as he was not available to be picked for the group games, his suspension was never carried out.

Mikel will not be available for selection for Chelsea, so can his suspension be carried out; Everton have been forced to release Pienarr to South Africe so they couldn't play him if they wanted to, the same would apply to Mikel.

I know players have served suspensions while injured (Keane served his 3 month ban by having an operation) but technically an injured player is still available for selection.

The suspension carries on as normal while he's away at the ANC, so he'll be eligable to play again once he returns.

I'd love to see Spurs win tonight. A win against any form of Arsenal team has to happen at some stage, doesn't it!!! Please?!?! Mind you we haven't beaten Arsenal away from home in 15 years hehe! I'd take a loss tonight and a win overall though. Have to say that Eduardo and Van Persie makes a great front line. I really like what I've seen of Eduardo and I think our defence is going to have to be on top form (what are the chances!) to cope with the two, if they both start. Looking forward to it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It'd be some "feet" if they did manage to win though, two different sets of kids doing well in the PL and Cup respectively!

The first team is hardly what you'd call kids now. I remember reading that United had a lower average age when the 2 teams met at the Emirates earlier this year.

Archimedes wrote: »
    The first team is hardly what you'd call kids now. I remember reading that United had a lower average age when the 2 teams met at the Emirates earlier this year.
    Neither team are really kids; that's an incredibly irritating media label.

Someone was telling fibs, the average age of the Arsenal side was younger than the United one. The first XI was about a year and a half younger than United's and the match 16 was less than a year younger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Match delayed till 8pm

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Spurs wasted 2 half decent opportunities theres aalready. why the hell did King not hit it from the edge of the box when he was put through by Berbatov? and what was Berbatov thinking with the ball into the middle to Keane, even Senderos could read that one was coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Why is rosicky in goal for arsenal!?

only messing, but he looks the spit of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

spurs one up,jenas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's only a matter of time before Spurs feck it up in spectacular fashion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The second commentator on this game is an absolute moron. How do these people get jobs in the media?

Spurs have a whole 2 legs over which to mess this tie up. I dont care if they win this match 3-0, they'll just go on to lose 4-0 in the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The second commentator on this game is an absolute moron. How do these people get jobs in the media?

On Sky its alan Smith now we have Jamie and Merson altho merson is good on soccer saturday, jamie is just ....just.....

kdjac

Ok turns out it was Ray Wilkins I was talking about. The guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Ok turns out it was Ray Wilkins I was talking about. The guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

I totally disagree!!any examples??

• Advertisement

He said Tottenham would be terrified by Bendtner's pace for one. He just talks alot of sh*te and says anything just for the sake of saying something

Berbatov has been very impressive tonight. The lad is like Bergkamp v2. When he comes to Utd, he'll be Bergkamp v2.1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I remember about two years back Ken Earley on Off the Ball saying he would doubt Berbatov would cut it in the EPL.

To be fair though he got his style of play spot on. When Berbatov played for Bayer Leverkusen, I honestly do not remember him playing with that laid back, creative style.

Arsenal and Walcott don't deserve that, they've both been terrible

Jaysus that was a lucky goal!

handball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Lucky Lucky Arsenal!!!

Well I don't think Arsenal deserved anything from that game, and Defoe should be shot for that miss just after he came on. Once again Spurs have thrown away a great opportuinity to stay ahead, though I'd hope we're stronger in the resolve department for the next game to get a result at home.

I wonder will Wenger stick with his young team? It'll certinaly make the next game interesting anyway.

lol, that was such an undeserved draw. Arsenal aside from Bendtner and Denilson were very poor. Gilberto, Diaby and Walcott were dire. I'll forgive Walcott as he is a striker but I don't know what Diaby's position is supposed to be - probably bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Fupin hell, caught the 2nd half, found out Walcott was playing when he scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SuprSi wrote: »
    Well I don't think Arsenal deserved anything from that game, and Defoe should be shot for that miss just after he came on. Once again Spurs have thrown away a great opportuinity to stay ahead, though I'd hope we're stronger in the resolve department for the next game to get a result at home.

I wonder will Wenger stick with his young team? It'll certinaly make the next game interesting anyway.

:D Our reserve team and you still can't beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

*yawn*

Yawn on my thread? I challenge you to fisticuffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Damn... Spurs were the better team, should really have won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

It was Arsenal reserves though. They've no excuse for not winning really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Spurs unlucky, think that they will do it in the second leg.

Arsenals "reserves" cost a fair few bob though, and Spurs team is suprisingly young too

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Arsenals "reserves" cost a fair few bob though, and Spurs team is suprisingly young too

Spuds team have more experience as for the cost of the reserves, how do you arrive at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mr Alan wrote: »

Do your maths. The combined cost of most of today's Arsenal team was less than Darren Bent.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Do your maths. The combined cost of most of today's Arsenal team was less than Darren Bent.

Exactly, a strange post imo.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I wouldn't have cared if Wenger himself took to the pitch last night. What matters is a) the result and b) the performance. Now, the result wasn't ideal as Spurs deserved more, but the performance was good, and the scoreline doesn't do the performance justice. Spurs dominated for the vast majority of the game and only some wasteful finishing from Defoe and Malbranque, and a lucky Walcott goal kept Arsenal in the tie.

If Spurs can play like that in two weeks time a win would be more likely, though there is still the curse of the Arsenal, and Spurs have to overcome 8 years of not being able to beat them to get through to the next round.

On a side note, round of applause to the ref who I thought was excellent. He kept the flow of the game going, didn't hand out any yellow cards (both teams can take a bow for this too), and was only noticeable when necessary. A proper referring performance and hopefully he'll be chosen for the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

? Walcott alone is down as 12million (http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11670_304763,00.html). I know, i know, clauses etc but you can bet you ass its the same situation with Bent, as it is with pretty much any transfer nowadays.

Arsenal starting XI:
    Fabianski (undisclosed, possibly as much as 2 million)
    Traore (<£1million)
    Senderos (£2.5m)
    Djouru (<£1m)
    Hoyte (youth academy)
    Gilberto (£4.5m)
    Denilson (£3.4m)
    Diaby (£2m)
    Walcott (£12m)
    (a very unfit I might add) van Persie (£3m)
    Bendtner (<£1m)

So, the starting XI tallies up to about 30 million (damn Walcott being WAY overpriced...), divide it by 11 and you have a price of just under 3million each, not exactly expensive by top flight standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Diaby looks great business for 2 million

Arsenal starting XI:
    Fabianski (undisclosed, possibly as much as 2 million)
    Traore (<£1million)
    Senderos (£2.5m)
    Djouru (<£1m)
    Hoyte (youth academy)
    Gilberto (£4.5m)
    Denilson (£3.4m)
    Diaby (£2m)
    Walcott (£12m)
    (a very unfit I might add) van Persie (£3m)
    Bendtner (<£1m)

So, the starting XI tallies up to about 30 million (damn Walcott being WAY overpriced...), divide it by 11 and you have a price of just under 3million each, not exactly expensive by top flight standards.

Another interesting stat might be how much they spent on youth that didn't make it. After all, it's not hard to sign a young player at a cheap price, but it's hard to sign the right young player.

Another interesting stat might be how much they spent on youth that didn't make it. After all, it's not hard to sign a young player at a cheap price, but it's hard to sign the right young player.

We have a lot of players who came through the ranks but did not make it,so its fair to say no cost associated with that. As for others that were bought, I think you will find as you said price was cheap and so overall our spend is far far less than not only the other so called top three,but teams in the next league. So despite being the richest club in England based on turnover, Wenger will carry on spending on the cheap rather than splashing out over £16M on players like Darren Bent.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    We have a lot of players who came through the ranks but did not make it,so its fair to say no cost associated with that. As for others that were bought, I think you will find as you said price was cheap and so overall our spend is far far less than not only the other so called top three,but teams in the next league. So despite being the richest club in England based on turnover, Wenger will carry on spending on the cheap rather than splashing out over £16 on players like Darren Bent.

Well its not like Wenger has no bloopers to his name; Richard Wright and Francis Jeffers come to mind. Although recently Wenger's transfer record has been very good. Walcott might be an exception, although he has plenty of time to turn it around... Actually it seems if Arsenal spend a lot of money on English players they tend to flop. Well its well known at this point that a promising young English player costs a lot more than one of any other nationality.

Another interesting stat might be how much they spent on youth that didn't make it.
    The Jermaine Pennants and Ashley Coles of the Arsenal world usually get sold on for profit. :D
    After all, it's not hard to sign a young player at a cheap price, but it's hard to sign the right young player.
    Cesc Fabregas agrees.

Well, on the subject of Darren Bent, he will most likely get what they paid for when they sell him on, or close to it, if he propels Spurs up the table, he'll earn back his transfer fee and then some (providing they give him a first team berth, maybe when berbatov moves on...).

So, for example, Rooney cost United about £24m, he has at least earned that back and his wages by the success on the field and through merchandising in the last few years. Were united to sell him on at the same cost, they would probably make a loss due to lost earnings (like happened with Beckham, who single handedly propelled Real's income to the top).

Signing 10 youngsters that fail at £2m each will never earn anything back, their wages didn't contribute to any success at the club, and at most their benefit will be that they might have taught some skills to other players (very intangible benefit).

It's all well and good to list all the successes, but to get the true cost of that "second string" team, you need to add the cost of all the players that were bought at the same time and didn't make it (as Arsenal tend to buy them at 15/16 for increased cost when they're just about established rather than at 8 and 9, when the cost is lower).

So far it's worked well for Wenger however, but this is the first season in 4 that Arsenal have been challenging in the league, and they've had some trophyless years in the mean time.

I can't believe people still try argue that Arsenal arent getting value for money in the transfer market. All their signings this season were bought for less than the money made on Thierry Henry's sale.
    As for trophyless years, I'm sure our neighbours Tottenham can testify. How many trophies have they won in recent years with all their big money signings? And Bent propelling Tottenham upwards in the league? I seem to recall Tottenham nearly getting into the Champions League a couple of years back. Since Bent arrived they've done considerably worse. Good business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement