Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling cup semis (scores)

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think you'd be doing well to name 10 Wenger youngsters signed for fees in the region of £2m that failed. Most Arsenal youngsters command decent fees when they move on because they are good players. See Muamba (2-4m), Larsson (1m), Stokes (2.3m) and so on. Pennant was a £2m failure but then Arsenal have probably gotten about £6.5m for him between the transfer to Birmingham and the sell on to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, that's what I'd like to see. Somebody please list for me these mistakes Wenger has made. And even if there are 10 failures, one Fabregas makes it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm not disagreeing that Wenger is good in the transfer market, just that a comment like "the whole team cost less than X" is not exactly the whole truth. Tottenham have been relatively bad in the transfer market (though Carrick and Berbatov were good catches).

Besides, all Arsenal transfer fee's are undisclosed, so only one or two people will know the real truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

At the end of the day it is fair to say and accepted that Arsenal have spent less than Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool over say the last five seasons as example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Arsenal have definately spent less. No denying that. And i reckon that Wenger in among the top managers of all time. My post was just in relation to the attitude Arsenal fans take sometimes of how good their young players are. Its worth remembering that its the returns from an approach that Wenger adopted before most managers he is competing with were even at their respective clubs and hasnt actually worked yet!

Its also worth remembering that they havent actually won anything.

Wat if ye dont win any trophy for the next couple of years? will the approach then be judged as a failure? A glorious failure? a la Keegans Newcastle? Seriously.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Arsenal have definately spent less. No denying that. And i reckon that Wenger in among the top managers of all time. My post was just in relation to the attitude Arsenal fans take sometimes of how good their young players are. Its worth remembering that its the returns from an approach that Wenger adopted before most managers he is competing with were even at their respective clubs and hasnt actually worked yet!

Its also worth remembering that they havent actually won anything.

Wat if ye dont win any trophy for the next couple of years? will the approach then be judged as a failure? A glorious failure? a la Keegans Newcastle? Seriously.

Fair point, we really do have to win something, although to be fair,this crop of kids are just starting to mature now,so now really is their time,don't think he can be judged on the last couple of seasons,it is this season and next imo.

I agree that they are starting to mature now and, in theory, the skies are the limit for them.

You need them all, or at least the best ones to stay though . The likes of Fabregas will definately be under serious pressure for big money moves to Real/Barca/etc over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't agree that they have to win something to be a success. I think challenging in against Chelsea and United is a success. Even if they drop off this year towards they end, their season has been an immense success. They can only get better. Wenger has kept Arsenal in the top 4 barely spending a penny. It is incredible.

PHB wrote: »
    I don't agree that they have to win something to be a success. I think challenging in against Chelsea and United is a success. Even if they drop off this year towards they end, their season has been an immense success. They can only get better. Wenger has kept Arsenal in the top 4 barely spending a penny. It is incredible.

To be fair though I think the players will see it as a failure not to win anythig in the next couple of seasons,but don't think that will happen, I honestly believe we will win the premiership this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Remember Arsenal reached the Champions league final only two seasons ago (a silver champions league medal for the likes of Fabregas and Flamaini must be worth more than winning a domestic cup). Its not like Arsenal have been underperforming recently. On the other hand we could really use some proper silverware in the trophy cabinet (the Amsterdam tournament and Emirates Cup dont count!)

LOL :) i really dont think runners-up medals count as winning something

Galvasean wrote: »
    Remember Arsenal reached the Champions league final only two seasons ago (a silver champions league medal for the likes of Fabregas and Flamaini must be worth more than winning a domestic cup).

Don't know about that :) I think they would be happier with a domestic cup.

Sweet, means i can count the CL in Athens as something Rafa has won ;) (runners up medal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Don't know about that :) I think they would be happier with a domestic cup.

....? You'd prefer your team to win the CARLING CUP than to make it to the Champions League final?

Galvasean wrote: »
    ....? You'd prefer your team to win the CARLING CUP than to make it to the Champions League final?

I'd rather win the FA cup.

• Advertisement

Me too i think

Advertisement