Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thanks to Brenda Power

• 08-01-2008 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I would like, through the medium of Boards, to offer heartfelt thanks to Brenda Power. During the Christmas period, while the RTE blimp was pigging out on turkey and pudding, the better half, full of seasonal cheer, allowed me control of the airwaves. I chose Brenda. To my delight, herself was hooked and I can now look forward to breakfast sans inane, self indulgent, meaningless twaddle. My only fear is that Brenda's former close association with the tub of lard, may have left latent infection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I feel your pain BMaxi, I gravitated to radio4 myself,but did listen to Brenda over the festive period.

Made a welcome change from the tape deck on the national airwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I used to listen every once in awhile but her voice annoyed me so I stopped.

Good a reason as any I suppose.

Can't figure out how Brenda's voice would annoy you so much.

Sounded kinda neutral to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It's far from neutral it's in my top 5 for the most annoying voice ever.

When you add this to her most annoying bleedin topics ever.

There's so much one can take about women, breast feeding, child care,nipples cracking, back to breast feeding, more women, and an idiot afraid of taxi drivers the show is awful :(

I was going to listen today so I could tell you what annoys me about it but I slept until 1. Maybe tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's far from neutral it's in my top 5 for the most annoying voice ever.
    It's in my top 1 most annoying voices ever .... maybe just pipped by Stephen Hawking, but he can't help his. I think it's the nasal quality and the way it spirals and gets more clipped when she gets animated.
    When you add this to her most annoying bleedin topics ever.

There's so much one can take about women, breast feeding, child care,nipples cracking, back to breast feeding, more women, and an idiot afraid of taxi drivers the show is awful :(

She never looks for balance ... "so if you've had problems with NTL get in touch with us" and she lets her callers rabbit on too long. She is also ceaselessly anti-breastfeeding to a ridiculous extent and deals with it way too often. "Let us know what do you think about breastfeeding in public "... "what about breastfeeding toddlers ...." Yawn yawn yawn.

It's far from neutral it's in my top 5 for the most annoying voice ever
    .:(

Jeesh... Derek Mooney/Des Cahill/Brenda Donohue/Conor Hunt/keiran Mullooley/Sean Óg O'Ceallachain/Jaaaoe Doofey..... who the fook are your other four for Chrissakes???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

Jaysus - I'd say you lot sound gorgeous too .............. Lets get a grip here eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Stylo wrote: »
    Jaysus - I'd say you lot sound gorgeous too .............. Lets get a grip here eh ?

If you're going to work as a presenter on radio, your voice and personality are pretty much all your listeners have got to go on, so what she sounds like IS important here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, her voice is fine. The show though is a midweek midday talk show. Like liveline and Joe Duffy, the bulk of the listeners are stay-at-home mums and older non-working women at or approaching retirement so obviously there's going to be a lot of waffling and feminine topics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

vallo wrote: »
    It's in my top 1 most annoying voices ever .... maybe just pipped by Stephen Hawking, .

I hate Aine Lawlor's voice plus her radio persona. I never listen to Morning Ireland when she's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I guess there really is no accounting for taste. Brenda Power's voice doesn't annoy me in the slightest, and I get annoyed by a LOT of voices/accents. I trained in music for years, and apparently if you've a musical ear you're more sensitive to these things.

Dudess wrote: »
    I guess there really is no accounting for taste. Brenda Power's voice doesn't annoy me in the slightest, and I get annoyed by a LOT of voices/accents. I trained in music for years, and apparently if you've a musical ear you're more sensitive to these things.

You're from cork you're used to listening to horrible annoying accents in general. so maybe you're trained musical ear is tone deaf to annoying mulchies

You're from cork you're used to listening to horrible annoying accents in general. so maybe you're trained musical ear is tone deaf to annoying mulchies

Ha, I'm from Cork too and I find her voice annoying! But as Dudess said, it's all about taste.

:) You'd think that all right but no, most of the time I have to turn off the ads because of the plethora of infuriating voiceovers - the posh ones are by far the worst. Or the girls who do their best to sound like they're in the throes of sexual ecstasy.

Personally I prefer to hear English spoken correctly on the radio.

We hear enough people, especially Dubs slurring their words,using bad grammar,driving a coach and four through adverbs(Bill Cullen)(Bertie Ahern).

Some of us seem to confuse properly spoken English with"posh" but again personally,I must say it grinds my gears to hear skangers almost glorifying their lack of proper pronunciation and almost unintelligible regional accents.

When broadcasting to a disparate audience it helps if the majority can understand what you are saying.

We hear enough people, especially Dubs slurring their words,using bad grammar,driving a coach and four through adverbs(Bill Cullen)(Bertie Ahern).

Some of us seem to confuse properly spoken English with"posh" but again personally,I must say it grinds my gears to hear skangers almost glorifying their lack of proper pronunciation and almost unintelligible regional accents.

When broadcasting to a disparate audience it helps if the majority can understand what you are saying.

Ugh what? the irish airwaves are hardly flooded with "skanger" accents

I love the way you conveniently abandon the fact that there's a wide ocean between "posh" and "skanger" - what about neither? What about, say, neutral? And the awful, contrived, pole-up-the-hole accents some broadcasters/voiceover artists put on are not the only examples of how to speak English correctly. In fact English is often spoken incorrectly by them.
    Emma McNamara, Emma Counihan (2FM morning news) and a host of ad voiceover artists put on most unpleasant accents, which are just as grating on the ear (if more so) than the accents of skangers - although no specific skanger accents spring to mind. Joe Duffy has a bit of a Dublin accent, is that the type of person you mean? Áine Lawlor, Mary Wilson, Claire Byrne, Sean O'Rourke, Pat Kenny - these are examples of people who speak clearly and well, and yet they don't feel the need to effect snooty, clipped accents.

In fairness Newstalk is worse for the heavy regional accents.

"Off the ball" in particular is poor with almost everyone calling it(ih:D)"fuhball"
    and literally ramming it down your throat.

I would put Brenda Power very high up on the list of good accents,and Cathal MacCoille as well on MI.

Emma Mcnamara has a lovely accent and sounds like a right fox.
    Don't mind admitting the auld Bant goes into fantasy mode when she bangs out the Economic news.:o

Susan Jackson on RTE news is a good example of an affected accent in my opinion.
    Dermot Ferritéir has a DUB accent I must admit I hate,y'know, the drawling kinda whiny delivery with the rrrs like water over stones.

uuugh.

Agree 100% on Susan Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It could be worse OP, it could be that annoying cow that's on after her.

Indeed,jumpin out out her knickers with enthusiasm,and wearin you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Brenda Power doesn't bother me one way or the other. I'd much rather listen to her than to Gerry Ryan going on about "penishes" and "paydophiles" and Harry Crosbie or to Ray D'Arcy who can't shut up about his kid. That inane bint who's on after her though - now that's a different story.

Michael McMullen gets awful abuse for his accent but I don't think it's contrived - maybe it is but just doesn't annoy me, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I have no idea what Emma McNamara looks like but she sounds OK to me. beats Brenda O'Donoghue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dudess wrote: »
    Michael McMullen gets awful abuse for his accent but I don't think it's contrived - maybe it is but just doesn't annoy me, I don't know.
    OIII'M MOIIICHAEL MC MULLEN!!!!!!

Advertisement