Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'd like your opinion on these if possible

Options
  • 08-01-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

hi all
    i took these photo's today of my conservatory i got built with in the last year, and was loking for your views on them if you dont mind.
    in case your wondering they are all taken from the inside

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Looks like you went for the lowest quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

not really, cost just under €20,000 for an 11x10, and this is supposedly from a company with a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I f you get a chance can you "pan out" and take the photos from a few feet back, i see there is dampness and a crack but i want to see them in context better.

More than likely the dampness is caused due to poor flaching up against the existing wall, but without getting a better look i cant tell for certain.

not really, cost just under €20,000 for an 11x10, and this is supposedly from a company with a good reputation.

O.k. you paid good money, so don't accept a patch up repair. What you need to post is some pics from outside, not just where the leaks are but also above the leaks as water can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,171 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

:eek:
    Im guessing all those pics are of the areas where the conservatory joins the existing walls of the house?

Its possible that (with the crazy weather we have been having) some flashing etc has come loose. It should, but it can.

Again, some internal pics from further back and some of the joints outside would help.

• Advertisement

here are pics that were asked for.

pics 16 & 17 are from outside of the conservatory at top.
    pic 18 is where there was a pervious leak and they just came put some sort of sealant/silicone there, supposedly to stop the first leak.

Considering the amount of rainfall recently, that wall seems to have dried up. However there should be no leak.
    I'd like to see the flashing redone, not just patched up, you don't want to be dealing with this again in a years time. Sealing with silicone on the inside is ineffective, if water gets to this second seal it will just be channelled into the wall.

Its hard to tell from the pics but I reckon the flashing is just stuck the the pebbledash.
    a) you are never going to get a good seal that way
    b) even if you do Im sure that pebble dash render is porous so water will get in past it.
    Render should be chipped off and flashing embeded into the wall about an inch.
    Then plaster back over as desired with whatever render you want.

Also, it might not be leaking as badly anymore because "something" has swollen from getting wet, or it might just be a change in wind direction. Somedays the back wall of my house is bone dry when the front is soaked and vice versa.

Either way, I would get them back and *not* let them away with just bunging on more sealant...

I recon the render was chipped back. Its obviously done on the inside. Surely they removed what was necessary before conservatory was added

• Advertisement

2 stroke wrote: »
    I recon the render was chipped back. Its obviously done on the inside. Surely they removed what was necessary before conservatory was added

Is it though? it could just be plastered over on the inside...
    Even then, if the flashing isnt cut into the main wall of the house the water will soak through the render and run down the brick wall of the house, into the conservatory.

Looking at the external pics again Id say its likely that the water is getting in where the ridge meets the wall of the house. There is no overlapping flashing, just looks like a bunch of sealant to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Apart from anything else, that is the ugliest piece of flashing work I have ever seen. Is that silicon they have sealed the flashing with? Totally unacceptable workmanship. There is no way that a messy job like that could be waterproof. Contact the installer and get them to put it right. Any reputable installer would be ashamed. You will have ongoing problems for years unless it is corrected.

I've copied the pics to my computer and zoomed in. The A of the roof does not match the A cut into the render. In other words the conservatory seems off center with the cut back render. I hate to think what that yellow stuff is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

pics 16 & 17 are from outside of the conservatory at top.
    pic 18 is where there was a pervious leak and they just came put some sort of sealant/silicone there, supposedly to stop the first leak.

By the looks of pic 17, the sealant looks like expanding foam to me...No flashing at all visible...Very bad job done...Get back onto them..

i've rang a couple of times today hoping to get them back but their phone just rang out so it looks like i've no choice but to take it further.
    thanks for all your help

Keep us informed, please.

i've rang a couple of times today hoping to get them back but their phone just rang out so it looks like i've no choice but to take it further.
    thanks for all your help

Also, can you tell us who it was?
    You havent said anything other than facts and let the pictures do the talking so I dont see any reason why you cant "name & shame"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

greebo and 2 strokes advice on whats need is pretty spot on.

I dont believe the render was chipped back, just flattened smooth.

Yes, it certainly needs to b re-flashed, you basically got a consevatry from a company using unqualified tradesmen.

I refer to them as botch artists, if i got that done, when i was finished lauhing at them id not give them a red cent.

The render needs to be completely removed at least 4-5" up the wall to fit the flashing and then re-rendered.

God, i hate fooking botch-artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

If ther are affiliated with any builders groups I would report them.

Do they have a shop or residence .... I would keep pestering to get the job done right .....

Alternatives

Get a report done by an engineer and the cost to repair ..

Go to the small claims court

I would not just give up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 roofer

dazed and confused
    my jaysus!!! there is no doubt the flashing was installed wrong. it is either not there or thay did not cut a chase into the wall and insert the lead into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 roofer

i just looked at the outside photo. they have used silcone to seal it. even if that worked it would only last about five years.i`m not even sure if that was lead on the gable. if that was one of my employees that done that they would be sacked. get them back to fix it. evn better get a reputable roofer to fix it and bill it to the conservatory company. you would have no problems in a small claims court with that case.

2 stroke wrote: »
    I've copied the pics to my computer and zoomed in. The A of the roof does not match the A cut into the render. In other words the conservatory seems off center with the cut back render. I hate to think what that yellow stuff is.

just a further update on this. the owner was out with me recently i suppose after being threatened with legal action and is willing to fix the conservatory, i told him i dont want that piece of bin liner or as he calls it flash band on the conservatory. he's told me it has to go on and if need be he can cover it with flashing.i dont think i'm going to get anywhere except other than for him to fix the conservatory but i'm scared witless of how much will be fixed or more to the point of what wont be fixed. he's set up a new business doing the same stuff and has promised a guarantee ( which was also part of the T&C's of the company). i say business as opposed to company which is what i was dealing with when we bought the conservatory. i'd like your opinions on
    (A) the flash band. does he have to use this piece of bin liner
    and
    (B) if he gives a guarantee under the new business will it be worth the paper it's written on?

It all depends on what he is planning to do to fix it.

A lot of it needs to be removed. The render needs to be chipped back, the wall chased and then lead flashing cut into the wall.

Right now its all just sitting there, being held in with silicone. I have no idea what they thought would happen if driving rain hit that seam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree all the lead needs to be removed and redone properly.
    The idea of getting an experienced to carry out the work is a good idea - deduct roofer fee from any monies owed.

Photos show a nasty amature job. A 150mm lead flashing is required. Its very low in photo - making it useless. The silicone is a joke!

A guarentee from a company that might not exist isn't much use!

i got a surveyors report at my own expense which will also be billed to this guy. it says in their conculsion " whilst the quality of the conservatory is reasonable the instalation is of poor quality". unfortunately it doesn't go far enough. i'd be more happy if it stated that it's a health and safety hazzard. under the old contract or whatever it's called i could only go after the company but if he gives me a guarantee as far as i'm aware i can go after him personally and thats what i was basically asking in (B)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Have you explained this to your Surveyor?
    It seems quite obvious that the installation work is sub-standard. The lead installation isn't installed as per B.S or the Building Regulations - workmanship.

Leaks and damp are unacceptable in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The "flashings" (I use the term loosely in this case) are inadequate in terms of girth, incorrectly fitted or dressed and are not fit for the purpose. Comparison with standard details in the Homebond Manual or those in the excellent Lead Development Association manual would indicate that the completed work could never be considered workmanlike or fit for the purpose.

Advertisement