Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like? (App. Comp / Comp. Forensics)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can we keep questions to the public forum, as they may be of use to others with similar questions. More private questions, or something you would prefer not to discuss - feel free to PM Dan.

But for this type of convo, lets stick to the thread as much as possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

haha noted sully :)

although i dn't like what you're hinting at...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well if you guys want to swap numbers, I wont object :p

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

ha ha very funny lads :D
    Thanks for all the info and i hope that the gamer soc. starts up again

A wee bit off topic there now sully wasn't that not to mention HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE....lol..Stay on topic from now on mr.moderator.:P

Yeah there should be no problem getting the society to start again, The lads there this year will probably start it up. OH and if you are big into gaming and programming you will be given the opportunity to represent the college in a contest called robocode where you preogram a robot to be a killing machine. It's a fun contest. This years and last years lads seem to have enjoyed it.Good prizes too. Lots of money and a laptop(top class one too.). Not trying to sell the course to you or anything lol

• Advertisement

I really just want to get started on this course i cant wait

Haha Steady on there :)

If you're this excited about the course, You'll fit in no bother!

Iv updated the topic title to reflect the discussion. Iv asked one of the 1st year Forensic Students to give me an idea of their course. Should know later what they think, and what material they are planning on covering. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

Lads do ye think there will be jobs in computer forensics for ye in ireland when ye finish the course?Would they not be mainly uk based...

Not as much, but I would assume the Guards and Banks would be interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

not likely the guards think they only train up there own,banks prob...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Sully wrote: »
    Iv asked one of the 1st year Forensic Students to give me an idea of their course. Should know later what they think, and what material they are planning on covering. :)
    any chance you could do the same with an Applied Computing student?

blue-army wrote: »
    any chance you could do the same with an Applied Computing student?

You already have at least three.. me,stick-dan,coadyj.. ec18 does part of the course but not all. This thread should have lots of information, and I think there are other topics about the course.

Have you any questions? :)

Swindon wrote: »
    not likely the guards think they only train up there own,banks prob...

We are living in Ireland, no public service has anything like that never mind a decent IT system! As far as I am aware, the jobs go up and you apply. They do that with photographers anyway.

I was thinking more along the line of a job with google maybe .... maybe not even in Ireland

Google have job placements in Ireland. I think they have a big office here..

Most of us here are people who are from the course and replying. so if you want information whoever was asking for the applied computing one, drop in more questions. Google have a massive office over here.Their European head quarters is in dublin.

And there are planty of jobs available in the sector what with...anti virus companies located in cork and limerick, names escape me now, dell,google themselves do security, Cisco in galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

I was thinking more along the line of a job with google maybe .... maybe not even in Ireland

You can do internship with google threw the college. I got one but didnt take it as it was more of a deskside support job then a programming role.

Google were intrested in my forensics stuff but not much. Although on of the questions i got was on RAID, which is covered in forensics although i dont know why. It was a queation on the paper this year.

stick-dan wrote: »
    Most of us here are people who are from the course and replying. so if you want information whoever was asking for the applied computing one, drop in more questions. Google have a massive office over here.Their European head quarters is in dublin.

And there are planty of jobs available in the sector what with...anti virus companies located in cork and limerick, names escape me now, dell,google themselves do security, Cisco in galway.

Ive heard its full to the brim of sexy Polish girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

coadyj wrote: »
    What is?

• Advertisement

what?

ec18 wrote: »
    What is?

Poland, :)
    jk google.

Right.. one of the girls in the course kindly provided me with some information.
    This semester we are studying operating systems and introduction to computer forensics. Most of the lecturers are grand, I think that <paraphrase>two lecturers in particular in the course</paraphrase> are the most popular among us all. I think this is because they are not uptight and know how to have a laugh with us in class. I don't think anyone dreads going into their classes.

So far everyone seems to be enjoying the course,as the time moves, the course gets more interesting.

Here's a list of all the subjects studied during the course:

- Programming Fundamentals, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Software Development Lifecycle, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Computer Essentials, (App Comp Forensics)
    - History & Ethics of Computer Forensics,
    - Thinking and Learning Skills, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Discrete Maths, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Introduction to Computer Forensics,
    - Computer Architecture, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Operating Systems, (Applied Computing Students will do this, but not with Forensics and not until second year)
    - Algorithms, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Applied Calculus, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Project Management & Communications, (App Comp Forensics)
    - File System Forensics,
    - Biological Authentication Systems,
    - Legal Principles,
    - Networks,
    - Data Structures & Modelling,
    - Mathematical Methods,
    - Media Forensics,
    - Forensic Accounting & Fraud Audit,
    - Wireless Communications,
    - Internet Application Development, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Virtual Execution Environments,
    - Statistics & Probability, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Cryptography,
    - Network Security,
    - Mathematical Modelling,
    - Internet Technologies, (App Comp Forensics)
    - Distributed Systems (elective)
    - Management Psychology (elective)
    - Data Mining (elective)
    - Network Forensics,
    - Formal Specification,
    - Artificial Intelligence,
    - Criminal Evidence (elective)
    - Intercultural Communications (elective)
    - Network Management (elective)

Hope that helps.

Note 1: (App Comp Forensics) = Two courses sit the same subject together. To the best of my knowledge, thats most of them marked!

who said that?

who said that?
    I'm going to guess one of the emma's

Lets keep second names out, neither are Boards members and I dont know if they want to be named and shamed all over the net :P

Thanks for the info
    What is discrete maths and Mathematical Modelling?

Thanks for the info
    What is discrete maths and Mathematical Modelling?

Discrete Maths is a 1st year Semester 1 subject. stick-dan already gave an outline of this, as Forensic students sit in with Applied Computing students. :)
    stick-dan wrote:
    Maths in first year is ok. It is about differentiation, integration, complex numbers,sets,functions,enumeration,simpsons rule,logic,etc. Basically first year maths is like leaving certificate applied maths.Not too bad.It all depends on your lecturer. Some people have different view on the lecturers.

Cant recall Mathematical Modelling but ill try find it out.

Iv updated the list to show what topics are covered with App. Comp students to the best of my knowledge.

Sully wrote: »
    Lets keep second names out, neither are Boards members and I dont know if they want to be named and shamed all over the net :P

I find your provided quote by one of the "girls" in the class in first year a little hard to believe and it is obvious which one it is by the quote aswell and the side of the course that it is coming from but i think it is a little misleading. In the quote the unuptightness of certain lecturers is mentioned in your provided quote but in my experience of the course and you know me sully i get on with most lecturers but the quote you provided is totally unsupported in that element. That is one persons point of view. In 2nd year opinions are vastly different of lecturers and also i know of students in first year who i have spoke to that would not support that girls quote. I just think it would be better to provide a quote that supports most of the classes point of view as a whole rather than a single opinion. Also of one of those lecturers mentioned which they really should not be by name on an open forum like this for obvious reasons one of them is newly positioned and subject to a job change most likely as that particular course he is teaching has rarely kept a stable lecturer. I just think it is false promoting the course by it's lecturers. Apologies for any offence caused. Just i feel a more hunaminous opinionated view would be better.:)

• Advertisement

stick-dan wrote: »
    In 2nd year opinions are vastly different of lecturers

That's cause lecturers seem to take a dislike to ye :D:p

Advertisement