Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like? (App. Comp / Comp. Forensics)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

stick-dan wrote: »
    I find your provided quote by one of the "girls" in the class in first year a little hard to believe and it is obvious which one it is by the quote aswell and the side of the course that it is coming from but i think it is a little misleading.

I don't want to name names. You can guess amongst yourselves, but im not naming them on a public forum. Simple. What relevance does it have anyway?
    In the quote the unuptightness of certain lecturers is mentioned in your provided quote but in my experience of the course and you know me sully i get on with most lecturers but the quote you provided is totally unsupported in that element. That is one persons point of view. In 2nd year opinions are vastly different of lecturers and also i know of students in first year who i have spoke to that would not support that girls quote. I just think it would be better to provide a quote that supports most of the classes point of view as a whole rather than a single opinion.

You never even had some of the named lecturers in that quote and neither did I. The girl is giving the opinion based on what her class feels, as per the quote. She mentioned a few good lecturers, not all. She never said the rest were ****e and nor did she say who was ****e. The comments were given as the class as a wholes opinion. I think your misunderstanding the quote completely.
    Also of one of those lecturers mentioned which they really should not be by name on an open forum like this for obvious reasons one of them is newly positioned and subject to a job change most likely as that particular course he is teaching has rarely kept a stable lecturer. I just think it is false promoting the course by it's lecturers. Apologies for any offence caused. Just i feel a more hunaminous opinionated view would be better.:)

My year liked that lecturer you are referring to, and also the Physics course with ec18. The first years like him also. If you feel that your class doesn't, fair enough. Not everyone is going to like every lecturer! The large majority of people we know don't agree with your statement. Your more then welcome to give reasons why you don't like lecturers but probably not best to name them as it can lead to dangerous roads.

She gave a course subject list and a brief summary of how she felt about the course. Just named a few lectures they all agreed to like, and said why. I know plenty of people in years ahead and behind us that agree. I'm sure people in your course also agree. Ill remove their names to make it more balanced for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

So as ye have said before the difficulty of maths is down to the ability of the lecturer we get

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So as ye have said before the difficulty of maths is down to the ability of the lecturer we get

I, amongst many others, would agree with that statement. :)

I would love to learn how to encrypt files without that free software crap like real hardcore encryption .. any websites or tutorials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 maximumleo

Bit late in the day, but relevent nonetheless. You will do ANSI C as part of the Embedded Systems stream in Semester 4. Nothing too hectic, but moving things in and out of areas of memory.

(Just felt I had to contribute dan :cool:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Sully wrote: »
    I, amongst many others, would agree with that statement. :)

definitely agree with that it is down to the lecturer. You might get the lecturer we had and find that he teaches you a harder degree of maths but it is worth it in the long run as you get a better grounding for the maths in second year. Then again there are other lecturers who teach in a more abstract form i.e. they teach an easier way but if they weren't your lecturer in second year then you could find progressing through maths harder. It is hard to say because they all have such different styles it is impossible to determine which is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

I would love to learn how to encrypt files without that free software crap like real hardcore encryption .. any websites or tutorials?

http://www.pgpi.org/

download pgp.
    Make a public and private key for yourself.
    encrypt with your public key.
    decrypt with your private key.

you can give you public key to your friends, they can encrypt something with it and you can decrypt with your private key

this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsa
    explains how it works, and if your after hardcore, you wont find harder then this.

its quote the biggest advance in cryptography in 3000 years.

Hope this helps.
    j

Where on the website can i get the free version because it is only allowing me to get a 30 day trial

Topic Cleaned on Request.

Sully wrote: »
    Topic Cleaned on Request.

sound out, thanks a lot!

• Advertisement

This may sound like that most noobish question ever but networking is new to me .. How would u secure a network? .. I am trying to learn with a LAN between two pc at the moment and would love some help

This may sound like that most noobish question ever but networking is new to me .. How would u secure a network? .. I am trying to learn with a LAN between two pc at the moment and would love some help

Ask the lads over in the Net/Comms Forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hopefully ill be joining you on this course. but i missed my mature applicant date and now im in with the rest of yee's for the places :(

not sure i have enough to cut it. ill have to wait for the second round of offers to see if i get it.

if not, its off to donegal with me.

hopefully ill be joining you on this course. but i missed my mature applicant date and now im in with the rest of yee's for the places :(

not sure i have enough to cut it. ill have to wait for the second round of offers to see if i get it.

if not, its off to donegal with me.

Which course? The BSc in Applied Computing seems to take a lot of transfers if you end up in Donegal. Plus, both courses are never that busy.. I think 1st year has a class of about 15, and 10 on a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

sully i want to do computer forensics. wd171.

after failing to meet the deadline for mature students, ive applied through the cao.

totalled my points up again and im 5 points short of last year's requirements.

fingers crossed i get it. i dont want to go to donegel.

reason is this course in wit is a level 8 and the course in donegal is level 7.

Ah well best of luck anyway :)

Is the maths in the forensics course as hard as the maths in the Applied course

Its the same Maths, you share the subject.

and it sucks lol:D

nah seriously depends on the lecturer imo

Whats the story on projects and stuff
    Do ye get a project to do for a week or so or is it a longer deadline and what sort of "homework" do ye have to do

• Advertisement

In first year, there is a good bit of contiuous assesment. Might be exams (given warning) or assignments (due in a few weeks, to give time to put togeter) such as research essays or presentations. It cuts down then in second year alright, but most subject have some form of CA. Maths is usualy an exam during the year. Others are essays, lab reports, research assignments and the like.

Obviously programming is different, you get programming assignments ;)

I'd have to disagree, i found first year to be relaxing enough, aside from programming which everyone tends to spend that little extra time worrying about :)

Second year is when the real projects kick in, deadlines become tight, and proper study is needed. The course very much steps up a level in second year from the inferior stage it was at in the introduction to computers first year. Most subjects in second year all seem new, in the sense that not a normal PC user would be aware of them, unlike nearly 10 of the modules in the first 2 semesters in which most regular users of a computer would have some small partial piece of knowledge about.

First year project deadlines are easily met, projects are simple and dependant on how quick you grasp programming depends on how easy the programming project goes. Basically to me anyway only project that is a proper project is the programming one in first year. Rest are short reports, essays and the like that two or so evenings in the library wuld take a chunk out of!:)

What type of programming would be in those projects

Java is the type of programming in these courses, For example, at the moment i'm in my programming class :), working hard :) on a program that works the IRMA system, the Irish record music sales takes in all artists details, assigns artists to releases and monitors the releases lifespan e.g, when releases are sold it updates, seems a novel idea but rather tedious.Keep in mind that that is second year stuff!We working on a web based version of it.

In first year, projects may include making games, virtual DVD shops where you manage rentals bans sales etc. Nice stuff when beginning java. Just keep you're cool and refrain from throwing the laptop off the wall and you'll be grand:)

Second year will see you branch into web development, nice to dabble in and the lecturers are cool to be fair to them, enjoyable subject!

Any other questions?

1st year is relaxing, fair enough, but it is mostly CA!

I would not call what you do in second year web development at all. Its barley even the basics!

Well i am not the powers that be on that one, only refering to the title the programming module in second year,4th semester is given.:)

Aggreed though first year is a piece of p**s!

How many people applied to this course last year and do u think that there will be alot of people applying for it this year becuz i will prob only get the required 320 points

How many people applied to this course last year and do u think that there will be alot of people applying for it this year becuz i will prob only get the required 320 points

No idea the number who applied last year - is that information even publicly available?

well i was just wondering if it is a popular course
    Is the Applied coputing course popular?

• Advertisement

Its popular, Yes.

Advertisement