Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like? (App. Comp / Comp. Forensics)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

coadyj wrote: »
    to be honest, i wouldn't even try to learn how to program if you don't do honers maths, its the same type of logical thinking. Leaving cert maths is easy once you have the mind set for it, Programming is the same.

I did CS in trinity too and the basic requirments are at least a c1 in honers maths. And they do that for a reason.

Them restrictions are there for a reason but it is by no means stating that if you dont do honours maths you'll never program. I know loads of people who did ordinary maths and i know a massive amount of people who never did any graded mathematics and they are miles better programmers than some of the ones i know, including myself who did honours maths. I think yes you do need a good grasp of mathematics for the mathematics modules in the course but not for the programming. I don't see any overlap in maths and programming personally. I rarely if ever involve the two of them together. Maybe that is justme and my dim-witted ways though. I'll let you decide that one.:) I think everyone has there own way of thinking logically be it practically mentally or mathematically but i definitely would agree that you need to be able to think logically for the course but i disagree with the statement you need honours maths for programming.

coadyj wrote: »
    i didnt learn a single thing about programming from any lecture, just from messing around myself

I'm sure you learned some small amount :) We all have our complaints about lecturers but they do teach us some stuff in fairness :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

stick-dan wrote: »
    Them restrictions are there for a reason but it is by no means stating that if you dont do honours maths you'll never program. I know loads of people who did ordinary maths and i know a massive amount of people who never did any graded mathematics and they are miles better programmers than some of the ones i know, including myself who did honours maths. I think yes you do need a good grasp of mathematics for the mathematics modules in the course but not for the programming. I don't see any overlap in maths and programming personally. I rarely if ever involve the two of them together. Maybe that is justme and my dim-witted ways though. I'll let you decide that one.:) I think everyone has there own way of thinking logically be it practically mentally or mathematically but i definitely would agree that you need to be able to think logically for the course but i disagree with the statement you need honours maths for programming.

I'm sure you learned some small amount :) We all have our complaints about lecturers but they do teach us some stuff in fairness :)

Agreed. Summed up exactly what I was thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

stick-dan wrote: »

OK im not trying to be a jerk here, but how are you supposed to use module functions in programming if you did pass maths?

The ability to create algorithms is the same ability to solve problems, if you dont have problem solving skills you will never be very good at programming.

No im not saying its impossible but it is difficult

It may be a coincidence, but the best programmers i know are all v good at maths

As for the lecture comment, I will certainly say that the lectures in WIT are extremely competent, but in Trinity i made no use of the lectures what so ever. I stopped going to the class early in first year and i got the top mark every year in every programming class, except 3rd year :(

but i do agree that in WIT they certainly have good teaching ability, I only wish they had that when i was in college.

Fact is that jake is oviouly into IT so he will find it good and will probably learn loads. Someone on the other hand who is not so into it will stuggle.

Anyways, I look forward to the day when you guys meet, we should really look him up in freashers week

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont think that honours Maths, if any, is required in programming at all. I dont like Maths, and find the subject difficult. I enjoy programming, but im not to fond of Java. I dont find it a struggle because of Maths at all.

You can get excellent programmers who are fantastic at Maths and who are poor at Maths. Its not a major requirement and I dont think that Hons. Maths was required because of Programming in the course. In App. Computing, there is a lot of Maths, Physics and Electronics which make use of Leaving Cert Maths.

Its hardly fair to generalise and say that you can only be an excellent progammer if you do honours Maths. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Whats up lads
    Any news on the amount of people that applied to the course because i am estimating that i will just make the 320 points

• Advertisement

No news for you man, Good to hear you think you did enough, Best of luck in getting the course though :D

From reading in the paper, the points went up to 305 this year for the Applied Computing course. It didnt meantion Comp. Forensics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Sully wrote: »
    From reading in the paper, the points went up to 305 this year for the Applied Computing course. It didnt meantion Comp. Forensics.
    Forensics was 270points.....

Anyone know how many places there are in the Applied Computing course each year?.....

I heard 110 / 130 were filled this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Well i am now officially a WiT student and will be studying comp. forensics
    Does anyone know why the points were so low this year , I was fairly shocked at a 50 point drop

• Advertisement

Well i am now officially a WiT student and will be studying comp. forensics
    Does anyone know why the points were so low this year , I was fairly shocked at a 50 point drop

Havent a notion.. there isnt a huge amount of people in that course since it started. Its a tough first couple of years and I suppose the notion of such a course puts people of doing it. Tho, you could say that about Applied Computing which went up in points. Physics with computing (a tiny number of people in this course since started) has also dropped in points.

Welcome dude, and congratulations on getting into the course. Well Done! You'll get to put us boardsie's names to faces soon enough. :D

Any idea how many in your class, or well how many got it?

50 point drop :O That's a bit odd, oh well you're in anyway!:D:D

Advertisement