Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money and cost of living in aus compared to ireland

Options
  • 08-01-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

How much would one have to earn in australia in order to have the same standard of living as they did in ireland.

Ok I know 30k euro is the same as 50k australian dollars but would you really have to be making that much as the cost of living is suposed to be cheaper?

Taking cost of living in aus into account and assuming im on 30k in ireland how much would i have to earn in aus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

You will probably be paid less as the cost of living is less :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

as above...paid less and taxes slightly higher too but cost of living is less, although not by as much as people make out either, worked there for 2 yrs..it's the lifestyle that you go there for..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Aren't the taxes slightly less?

When I was in oz 3 years ago or so I'm sure the higher bracket was 30% and the lower 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

moved to abroad forum ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Not all occupations in Australia pay less than in Ireland. In fact some pay quite a bit more. There seems to be a severe skills shortage here. In Melbourne I have found in my line of work that you can pick and choose which job you want. Most stuff is cheaper. Some more expensive. Petrol is (much) cheaper as are cars, insurance etc. Funiture is cheaper. I have found most electrical items are same/cheaper. Only thing I've found more expensive are PC's, rent, mortgages and bed linen :D

Depends on where you live too. Sydney is much more expensive than Melbourne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭alansan

Would agree with Daveg. Am currently living in Melbourne and overall my experience is that the cost of living here is not significantly lower than Dublin and is rising very steadily. Check out the average cost of a house within a 10k distance of the city centre, not that far of from Dublin levels.

Also it may just be my profession but I also found that people here work longer hours with no overtime and are very compliant when it comes to the boss/worker relationship. The larger pool of people here –population heading for 4 mill– means more competition for jobs.

If you want the cliche 'beach and barbie' lifestyle you might be better off trying Perth, where the current mining boom has left a skills shortage for a lot of professions. The beaches on the west coast are the nicest too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm in rural Victoria, 60km north of Melbourne. I find the cost of a basket of groceries very similar to the UK and Ireland. Utilities cost less than I remember from living in SE England - electricity and gas are cheaper. Phone and internet - the service isn't great. I'm not sure what broadband provision and price is like in Ireland, but it was pretty good in England (I had an uncapped 8mb connection for about £20 a month) and it's rubbish here.

Because I'm rural I can safely say buying a house here is MUCH cheaper than it would be for us in the UK or Ireland - then again living rurally here is also more viable for us. The commute into the city is one hour each way and should improve as the train line improves. Myself and WWMan are building our own house through a project builder, on a little over a quarter acre block and it's costing one third of what my brother has just spent buying a property of roughly the same area in Kent.

The housing market is on the up here though, definitely, mortgage interest rates are generally between 8-9%.

I can't say much on the job front, because I've been working for myself and have just taken a non-typical part-time job locally so it's not really indicative of anything. There are some professions where the pay is higher than the UK like-for-like, and some where it's higher relatively. For instance, I was surprised by how much first level administration staff are paid relative to the next levels above them, where in London the starting administration wage for juniors is just laughable. Here it's an actual living wage.

It is a lifestyle thing though. It's somehow easier to be more relaxed and active down here than it was living in either the East coast of Ireland or in the south east of England. There's more to do and various activities are more accessible. From where I am, up to a 90 minute drive in various directions will bring me to the shopping and restaurants of the city, the tranquility of the mountains, the culinary indulgence of vineyards and gastronomic tours, the glory of the beach - a damn sight more than 90 minutes in the car would have got me in Surrey (oo! look! the M25!.... oo! look! the M25...)

Plus the roads are better here and longer drives aren't as traumatic - good thing too, because you have to get USED to driving at length to get anywhere. There'll be the standard western-world-over build up in cities but once you get to the open road it's less hassle getting anywhere than it was in England or Ireland.

Advertisement