Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom floor flooded; water coming _out_ of bath overflow?

Options
  • 08-01-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Came back this evening to find the bathroom floor flooded. The weird thing is, I could see water coming out of the bath overflow and down into the plug hole, from where (I presume) somewhere underneath the bath it may be coming out. Any idea what could be going on? Also, can anyone recommend a cheap but good plumber in D2/D8? My useless landlord is away.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

do you mean its comming out of the bath overflow from the inside of the bath?

If thats the case, its just by chance somehow the leak is getting in there. In some cases particularly in older houses the overflow is never connected to the waste trap.

You will need to take off the side panel, there is only 2 possible sources of the flood, either the hot or cold tap feed.

There could be a ruptured instantor fitting or a loose connection at the tap. Sometimes taps become loose and that sometimes can cause a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Once I'd mopped up all the water, I noticed that it was actually the toilet cistern which was was dripping. When I checked, I found that the outflow pipe from it was leaking; it's not securely sealed to the cistern. And the reason why there's so much water outflowing is because the ballcock is broken! So 2 things at once resulted in the leak.

Even with the water shut off, there's still a dribble of water coming into the tank (leaky seal somewhere else?) so I had to whittle a wine cork down to plug the inlet (and no reason to waste the wine afterwards).

Plumber on the way this afternoon.

Thanks for the response,

P.

Advertisement