Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blue Flashing Lights on Pushbikes

Options
  • 09-01-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Now you might think this would be a rant about the abuse of blue flashing lights but it's not. I think these are the job for the winter months. Everytime I see one it instantly grabs my attention. I quickly realise that it's not a cop car or ambulance but I know there is a cyclist there.

The first thing I was taught when I started learning to drive was to always be aware of cyclists. It's hard when they don't light up though. Can anyone think of an appropriate punishment for cycling with no lights? A day's work in a rehabilitation centre perhaps?

These guys really annoy me because if I hit them it's still going to affect me even though they are at fault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

ballooba wrote: »
    Can anyone think of an appropriate punishment for cycling with no lights?

2 penalty points and an €80 fine. If they are using the road they should be treated like any other road user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

ballooba wrote: »
    Can anyone think of an appropriate punishment for cycling with no lights?

Organ donor card and a trip to an undertaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DonJose wrote: »
    2 penalty points and .....

Well since they don't need a licence that is a bit useless itin't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't think it applies here, but I believe that in some countries if you're convicted of a traffic offence on a bicycle you can get points on your driving licence (deferred if you don't (yet) have one).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Based on having encountered one with no lights and no reflective gear going round a roundabout in the outside lane on the outer ring road late one night, I'd be in favour of them requiring licences...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Sounds good to me Alun. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I don't think reflectors or hi-vis are as effective because it is just as important to see a cyclist behind you as to see one in front of you. You have no hope of seeing a cyclist in a hi-vis coming down your left hand side as you turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

I definately agree with fining. Its hard enough looking out for other cars and pedestrians dressed in dark clothes!!! I do know a guy who got fined twice for speeding on his bicycle!! He got a fine in court!! Should be fines for not wearing the appropriate safety gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yup thats true, Here in Holland you lose your license if cycling while drunk

If you dont have lights on your bicycle you get a fine.

Even kids get fines ... they wait outside the schools to check the bicycles on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but I think a licensing system for bikes would be great. I regularly witness cyclists going through red lights and cycling on footpaths with apparent immunity.

I would like to see bicycles with some sort of registration plate on them. Not a wide one that you see on cars, but some sort of vertical plate that would not cause any inconvienience to the rider, but would make them accountable for their actions.

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    Even kids get fines ... they wait outside the schools to check the bicycles on the way out.
    Proper order. It might sound a bit right wing to be targetting kids but it's better than scraping them off the pavement.

I'd recommend any cyclist to get those blue flashing lights. It's amazing how much more visible they are. I think I may buy shares in the manufacturer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The funny thing is though, that having flahsing lights mounted on your bicycle is an offence (flashing lights mounted on the person or cothing is their purpose). The flashing lights are only meant to accompany and aid a cyclist to be seen once they have cycle lights that remain on constantly and are up to a certain BS standard.
    As a cyclist and driver I find this law a bit outdated, seeing as the standard bike lamps (the big square box ones that take "D" type batteries) are not as bright or efficient as the flashing LED ones and are harder to keep from being stolen than the newer smaller LED lights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Most cyclists are ok but you will always get a few that are fools. I remember crossing at the lights oustide centra on dame street a few years ago and a cyclist went straight throught the red light, hit a pedestrian on front of me and went mad for the person being in his way. 2 or 3 of us grabbed him and there was a guard running towards us cos he seen what happened. The cyclist was brought back to the station and rightly so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Licensing would be unworkable. More red tape.

On the spot fines are the way to go. No cash? You walk home.

On the spot fines are the way to go. No cash? You walk home.
    There's a flaw in your plan. We don't allow our Garda go around collecting cash fines for a very good reason. On the spot fines usually mean issuing a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

randomer wrote: »
    I am probably going to get flamed for this, but I think a licensing system for bikes would be great. I regularly witness cyclists going through red lights and cycling on footpaths with apparent immunity.

I would like to see bicycles with some sort of registration plate on them. Not a wide one that you see on cars, but some sort of vertical plate that would not cause any inconvienience to the rider, but would make them accountable for their actions.

Randomer, I suggested this before, and got accused of putting up a red herring. I mean the cheek of me, putting forward the idea that having a mechanism for one particular group of road users being brought to account for breaking road laws would increase respect for those same laws among other groups of road users.

The fact is that cyclists have de facto carte blanche to break any road laws they wish without apparent sanction.

I heard an interview on newstalk about one or two months ago. This fella rang in complaining about cyclists continually cycling on a footpath to take a shortcut in somewhere in Dun Laoire. He rang in because his 70 year old mother was nearly knocked down on numerous occasions and was afraid to go out her front door. They eventually got the guards to stop cyclists and tell them not to cycle on the footpath; and one of the cyclists that they caught was one of those in charge of Dun Laoire Rathdown Councils cycling initiative!

So do you actually think that this is going to be a flyer when those in charge of policy are among those who offend?

Advertisement