Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ThunderRoad Cafe

Options
  • 09-01-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im supposed to be heading here with friends on saturday night and havent really heard too much about it. Has anyone got any feedback or opinions on this place? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Not my scene... Loud, brash, caters for big huge groups, stag and hen sort of place.

But then again, I'm an old fart. Might suit you perfectly!

(I don't mean you have bad taste or anything!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

eh.. ok! :D

i get your point as ive heard that its a themed restaurant.. not really my scene either but I didnt make the booking so im not going to start complaining now! :)

has anyone any info about the food there?

I'd say its grand, Fahitas, fries, ribs, wings. Don't get me wrong, you will probably have a ball, its very well located, near everything really, big jugs of booze, good lively staff.

ah well that sounds grand, Im not fussy as long as the foods good im happy! :D thanks lightening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

It's alright, food and service is nice but anytime I've been there it's full of kids celebrating their 16th birthday or whatever and they just get really hyper and will annoy the **** out of you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

raheny red wrote: »
    It's alright, food and service is nice but anytime I've been there it's full of kids celebrating their 16th birthday or whatever and they just get really hyper and will annoy the **** out of you!

+1

They did the place up recently too. I haven't been there since though. :)

hmmm.. it doesnt sound the ideal setting for two couples?? :( oh well!

Ah well! Nothing you can do about it now, just enjoy... Good atmosphere around that area, lots of pubs, lots of tourists...

If you can convince them to change and you want a lively atomosphere, try SABA.

http://www.sabadublin.com/

Its lively and the food is great. (cocktails are amazing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

hmmm.. it doesnt sound the ideal setting for two couples?? :( oh well!

Yeah, you couldn't really describe it as a place for couples. Food is grand and it's smack bang in the middle of Temple Bar. It's good place to start if there's a big group of you and you're all heading out afterwards.

Still not a patch on Captain America's though! ;)

lightening wrote: »
    Ah well! Nothing you can do about it now, just enjoy... Good atmosphere around that area, lots of pubs, lots of tourists...

If you can convince them to change and you want a lively atomosphere, try SABA.

http://www.sabadublin.com/

Its lively and the food is great. (cocktails are amazing)

oooh i like cocktails!! ah feck it, its boked now, its not like we'll be staying there all night and if its in a good location thats even better!!

Will def have to try out SABA! :D thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kind of over-priced for what you get. Never found their food to be anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

If you want to embarress someone you're with, tell the staff its their birthday and they''ll come out singing happy birthday with an ice cream with sparkers in it :)

As regards staying there all night, be careful what time you're booked for. I was in there a couple of years back, and had an earlyish meal booking. Wanted to stay and drink cocktails all night but they kicked us off the table as there was a later booking too, and their was no room at the bar area, so we had to leave.

I've always found it a fun place, albeit loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Food is mediocre, by the (modest) standards of TGI Fridays and Hard Rock Café (which is just across the street). Music is overly loud. Conversations can be difficult. Dry burgers, plastic table cloths, and screaming children. I would prefer to eat in McDonalds.

My advice, get out while you still can. If you don't want to upset your friend, then get someone else to ring them pretending to be the restaurant, and say there was a mix up, no table.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Conversations can be difficult. Dry burgers, plastic table cloths, and screaming children. I would prefer to eat in McDonalds.

My advice, get out while you still can. If you don't want to upset your friend, then get someone else to ring them pretending to be the restaurant, and say there was a mix up, no table.

....There's a man who doesn't mix his words!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've been a good few times and always had a good time,food is ok,it is texmex afterall. I think you may be lucky with crowds,as in,there probably won't be any,it's january. Actually last time I went they messed up the order,waitress came down and said sorry about that,here's free drinks. Five minutes later came back and said your desserts are on the house. Five minutes later,we were leaving, she said sorry about that again,no charge. Christ,I thought,if I stay another five minutes I could end up getting compensation.:D
    Believe it or not, we actually hadn't even complained,if you do you would probably get shares in the company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was there once and asked for bbq ribs,i got three small riblet sorrounded by some sweet horrible sauce.never again.Horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

most comments are spot on. food is ok but nothing special whatsoever. it's noisy, very noisy actually so you would want to be with a group and not a one on one date. it's expensive, you're paying for it's name, it's central location and nothing else unfortunately.

Cheers for all replies... i think the jist of the night is eat at 8:30 and out of there pretty pronto for the main event of the evening... DRINKING!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Wouldn't really recommend it. Was there a few months ago and halfway through my burger a live worm fell out of it and started wiggling around on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thats BULL me and the biz,no worm could last a cooking.

• Advertisement

OK!

It went fine. My mate couldnt book in the end up as they dont take bookings for parties of 4 and under! :rolleyes: We landed there about half 8 and were told they wouldnt have a table for a hour! The place was packed and i wasnt really bothered tbh but my mate booked a table for us so we could go and have a few drinks and then come back. They gave us a table for 9:10pm. We waited at the bar from that time until about half past, when we were seated. The drinks were flowing so we werent too bothered about the waiting time, but if you'd been in any hurry at all you wouldn't have bothered. The food was good and the service was grand but the music.. woeful cheese and was soooo loud! Def not date material.
    All in all, it was grand but i wouldnt be in a hurry to go back! Thanks for all the replies guys! :)

Advertisement