Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia - Has anyone hated it?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭

I see that for some time now, the Oz Gap Year is hugely popular and lots of people have lots of good things to say about it.

However, i regard myself as a bit of a negative neddie (e.g. I was the only audience member to not laugh at Meet The Fockers when it was at the cinema). I just think that all those smiley "pseudo-gay" faces around me would drive me insane within a week, never mind a year. And i also am not a big fan of the heat.

Anyway, i just want to see, did anyone enjoy themselves there, make friends with lots of new people (note that by new, i mean with the locals, not with other members of the irish travelling colony). I say this because i spent a summer in England a few years back. While i had a good time, i did notice myself, and others just sticking to our own groups as time went on. I wouldnt like this over a year.

Anyways, just want to get a consensus opinion. Is it worth the hassle? FYI Im 25 year old whose just bought a house, decent job, car and gf. I could still jump ship a-la renting the house out, selling the car and bringing the gf along, but would like to know if its worth the hassle.

Thanks in advance for advice :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

And yes i know my spelling is atroshus!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's the :eek: for :confused:

OT: I never met anyone who regretted going to Oz. You're more likely to meet new friends if you go to smaller places. If you ask gf to come you already know someone. G'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

FYI Im 25 year old whose just bought a house, decent job, car and gf.

You bought your GF? :eek:

OT; Go for it, I've always wanted to do it but dont have the stones! I've met one person who didn't like it and came back after 2 weeks, but he's a bit funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

James, I am willing to be that was his first long term trip. In that case he would come back from anywhere after 2 weeks. People panic.
    It is bar none one of the best places on the planet. Peaceful (as long as you avoid areas in Sydney) cheap, well organised, and beautiful.
    Just dont drive like an irishman, or you will be in trouble fairly sharpish (traffic cops are very on the ball over there, and unlike here, all the rules are enforced).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

jameshayes wrote: »
    You bought your GF? :eek:

I was thinking the same thing?

Anyway I'm planning on going travelling this time next year and instead of working for 6 months or so in oz and then travelling the world for another 6 months I'm just going to do pure travel for 6 months. A few people have told me they have actually lost money from working in oz so just pure travelling can be a better idea. This is only just what some people have said to me, I'm sure there are others who have worked there and loved it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You also need to learn to post in the correct forum. I'm pretty sure this isn;t the first thread I've had to move about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

However, i regard myself as a bit of a negative neddie (e.g. I was the only audience member to not laugh at Meet The Fockers when it was at the cinema). I just think that all those smiley "pseudo-gay" faces around me would drive me insane within a week, never mind a year. And i also am not a big fan of the heat.

Stay at home. If you don't try to be happy and enjoy things there is no point in leaving your house. Do you expect people will walk up to you and offer you the time of your life... cause that will never happen. (Except in some parts of Asia :eek:)

I went to Oz for a year and everyday I want to drive to the airport and get on a plane back there. We met some brilliant people who are still friends and they are from all over the world. You have to make the effort though. No-one will bother will you if you are being a Negitive Neddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Im back about 2 months from Oz,went with the missus for the year,best year of my life.Its not just the weather i miss,its the total lifestyle over there.I left a very good job,and i left my car over here and not for one second do i regret it,even tho i dont have a penny to my name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

I couldnt agree more, 'Paddys on tour' can be a very hard thing to stomach....fast geting the rep similar to that of our friends across the pond:(

U sound like a level headed guy and going with your girlfriend i would imagine might make it easier to break away and do your own thing unlike the Iriosh at Bondi...!

Btw, in agreement on Meet the Fockers, it was fairly poxy..!

okely dokely

I loved it - cant wait to go back and next time I hope will be permanent,
    my sister is there now SOooooo jealous :D:D:D

seriously though . . . . Has anyone disliked the place??

• Advertisement

I haven't been but I know loads of people who hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

I am travelling around the world for a year with the GF and chucked in the job and rented the gaff.

I would recommend it to anyone. I oz at the mo its a bit warm 46 degrees last week but its a great place.

If your gonna come this far hit SE Asia on the way you cant beat a glass of beer in Vietnam for 12 cent. Be happy to give any recomendations.

Budget well and get the one year work visa for Oz in case you want to top up the funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Sioda. I'm planning on doing the same in October (minus the gf part :D). Cant bloody wait. I've never met anyone that has a bad word to say about Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Its been over 7 years since I we were in oz and I still think of it every day. Loved every minute of it. Just stay away from the paddys on tour and sydney and make friends with the locals. Would love to move back permanant but don't have the balls to do so. Thinking up many excuses of why we cant go even though I know there are many more on the why we should go. Melbourne was our fav city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

I live here and love it - now - I didn't when I moved here first - took me nearly a year to settle as I knew I was here for the long-haul. That's very different to being here on holiday or the 1 year visa.
    Every country has it's pros and cons. What bugged me the most is how conservative a lot of Aussies are. There's also a lot of male chauvinistic pigs here - not all - but there's a fair whack of them. I've come across my fair share in work who - let's just say don't like a woman with an opinion.
    At the same time you meet a lot of very insecure women who seem to have an attitude of 'Nab your man, reel him in and God forbid you let any woman who's in anyway remotely attractive even clap eyes on him lest try to even casually chat to him' - Gets a bit tedious after a while (note I am happily married).

I also find there's a fair amount of aggression here, I'm in Mellers and am quite surprised at the amount of stories I hear of anger and violence that goes on late at night esp. at the weekends in the CBD and such.
    People being killed over road rage fights, one man was topped in a fight over a garden hose last year in Sydney (!) etc etc... I know it's a big city and larger than my original Dublin and all that, but I've made comment on it many a time.

Apart from that it's a great place altogether. I wish it didn't take so bloody long to travel to every other country on the planet and I'd be well chuffed if they'd do us all a favour and open up some branches of Marks and Spencers and had decent sausages.

I've only ever met one person who hated the place. An old mate of mine. Mind you he did meet an Aussie girl, popped the question 2 weeks later, moved out lock, stock and barrel to her hometown of Toowoomba QLD - aka middle of f*cking nowhere and then suddenly came to his senses when within 3 months of knowing her he living with her folks and they were buying them washing machines and the like as wedding presents. Needless to say, he came to his senses fairly quickly and is happily living and working in London now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've met quite a few people who didn't like the Australians at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

a friend of mine came home from australia and announced that the aussies arrogant and the big pack of A-holes he ever met, i said its more than likely your the real asshole.
    End of conversation.......:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In fairness the Ozzies do have a growing rep of being loud, maybe im settling into NZ too well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Yes absolutely, them and their.........................Bloody boomerangs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

It makes me laugh that people that visit another country can insult its citizens when most of the people who go there want to take their jobs or end up become drunk tourists. I am Irish and if went to Australia I think the least I could do was to show some of their natives some respect.

Imagine how insulted you would be if the Polish went back and said we were the biggest a-holes ever!

Just a thought...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jank - how do you put up with that God-awful Kiwi accent? Do they have the ads on TV at the moment over there for that 'Outrageous Fortune' show like the do here with that blonde twat sitting in her knickers on the edge of the bed shrieking "Sux, sux, sux, that's all the blaady think about is SUX!"

*Aaargh* :mad::mad::mad:

The accent doesnt bother me. Some have it quite strong while others its very mild. Maybe it worse up the North Island as in the South Island it was mostly settled by Scottish so maybe there is a bit of diluation going on.
    Maybe I dont know what I am talking about aswell!:pac:

There is a crazy ad here alright. Some one with mad eye and big mouth trying to sell beds and similar products. Cant think of the company now

Jank - it's for this TV show: http://www.outrageousfortune.co.nz

The whole 'Fush and Chups' and general exchanging of 'I's to 'U's which drives me barmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It makes me laugh that people that visit another country can insult its citizens when most of the people who go there want to take their jobs or end up become drunk tourists. I am Irish and if went to Australia I think the least I could do was to show some of their natives some respect.

Not necessarily. If people are pr1cks, they're pr1cks. I know a guy who lived there, loved the country and the nature but didn't like the people. I also know one guy who has been there for the last 5 years, and will probably stay there, and he always gives out about the Australians. I say:"Come home then!!!"

I had no major problems with Aussies and find you'll end up meeting like minded people if you want, anywhere in the world...

Never saw it. Will have to keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Ozys arent the nicest people but its like anywhere youl find really nice people here just not as many as you would expect from a people with no worries financely speaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Anyways, just want to get a consensus opinion. Is it worth the hassle? FYI Im 25 year old whose just bought a house, decent job, car and gf. I could still jump ship a-la renting the house out, selling the car and bringing the gf along, but would like to know if its worth the hassle.

I would say its not you sound pretty well anchored at present, save up some time off and cash and take a 4 week trip around Oz with your GF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Notch000 wrote: »
    a friend of mine came home from australia and announced that the aussies arrogant and the big pack of A-holes he ever met, i said its more than likely your the real asshole.
    End of conversation.......:)

Have to admit, on my holiday there I was astounded by how friendly the staff were in shops. Genuine friendly, not that have a nice day sir yank crap. I think the good weather keeps them cheerful :)

Apart from shop staff and my mates girlfriend I didnt really meet any Aussies! Most of the nightclubs I went to were full of non Aussies (and no, not Irish. I was very surprised at how few Irish there actually were apart from in the Irish bars, I only met about 7 in my hostel during my entire month there).

Having said all that my mate did his countryside stint, he said there alot of oddball rednecks out there. League of Gentlemen local shop for local people types :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I have heard all sorts of varying repoprts and you havtake them with a pinch of salt.

Ones pepective of anoher person or a group of person is dependant on that individual. My GF and I are very open minded frinedly and welcomoning people.
    Wer have found we have been treated in that very manner, that I treated Eastern Europeans co workers at home, since I got here.

I would say been treated even better actually. I have been taken under the wing and made some great frineds with the locals. Many are even making the flight to Ireland for my wedding in Sept.

I have found Queenslanders to completly buck the trend of any negativity and have found them to be so frinedly chilled out and decent people.

Bogans are bogans and skangers are skangers wherever you go and the prevelance here of local media means you hear much more of local incidents than we do on the 6.01 news at home. ie as all the news station are regionalsied on TV with Qld even having a differenct head line news from Townwsville to Brizzy, you hear of < relative > minor incidents that we would not hear of on the news at home, but only read in your local paper.

If you come over here with an open mind, acceptance that you are in someone elses home and not all things will be to your liking and a wilingness to get involved in local activities, you will be fine.

Come over, stick to mobs of Irish down Finnegan O Dooleys or whatever and whinge that its too hot, or the sausies are crap, or you miss Taytoo, or you hate the TV you probably wont fit in as well. We are always flowing with our compliments, for our new home and love for the place and you can always sense the locals warming to you instantly as a result.

I think its best summarised by replacing beauty with; your experience will lie in the eye of the beholder.

My mate came back from Perth hating Oz, it was all his own making though:

A. he is normaly an antisocial quiet guy anyway
    B. he got involved in a situation he should not have, which affected his whole attitude to the latter part of his stay, where the 2 of us went on want should have been a road trip of a life time 0 2 best mates.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Im 30, have my own house, now rented, have a GF that is here with me and now my fiancee, we had bought another house before we left and have also rented it, sold the nice car ( BMW coupe and I now drive 98 Falcon :eek: as I just have better things to spend money on now than a car and there is not the same attitude over here in that regard ) and left the very good job, that for the record, I would still be in despite the recession.

All this to chase the dream and quality of life that I knew existed but we did not enjoy in Dublin.

Now I have a good job that is relatively secure ( it will be different only coming over now I guess. )we rent in a fab place in a great area, pool out back and close to everything and importantly I am able to be in work in 10 mins, hail or shine - unlike home.
    As a result I have ~ 2 hours A DAY !! more to my self, now I am here.

We have to send money home for a few more months to supplement our mortagages, but my cost of living here in Brizzy ( note you must not go to Sydney or Melbourne to make such financial gains on your move ) is so much less than Dublin I have calculated we are still living for cheaper, spending more on beach w/e, meals out and leisure and still saving more.

I have no plans to go home and as we are exposed to property risks at home, that is something I am prepared to live with, as my life is far better than it was at home. Health, leisure, stress, happiness...............

Take it from me, one who has overcome and given up far more than the average person who comes over, if you think you can make your life better, do it. If the weather and oudoor experince is what comletes your life do it, if life in shorts and dier on the BBQ on your balcony is one of the little things that makes the day worth living then come....

Of course a 1 year trial is a great idea, not huge risk in renting a place for a year and coming over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement