Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia - Has anyone hated it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Dianond Mate are you permanent or just on a year out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I loved it - cant wait to go back and next time I hope will be permanent,
    my sister is there now SOooooo jealous :D:D:D

seriously though . . . . Has anyone disliked the place??

I wouldn't say I disliked Australia, but I would say that I much preferred New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Dianond Mate are you permanent or just on a year out?

Im a year away from permanency, currently sponsored and pretty secure where I am.

My worst case scenario is to attend Uni. I came over here prior to turning 31, instead of doing my final year, of a part time Bsc. So I plan to do that here, possibly while at work.
    Back up plan in a fall out Boy, Pete Tong, tits up, pare shaped scenario. It will allow me stay while I do it and then apply for a graduate visa on completion. win win solution for my scenario.

Low interest rates are really helping my situation at home too but at the end of the year circumstances change far for the better also and things will be easier. No matter what I want and intend to stay with my other half and I am very much a solutions kind guy and little issues like 20 year mortgages at home wont stop me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Diamonmaker. Interesting scenario you descrined there. I was thinking of coming as well on the WHV but would have to rent the house out in Ire. At the moment, I have put it on the back burner, as I feel it would be far better to come out maybe on a skilled visa. Either way, I'll hold off this year. Unfortunaelty I'll be gone above the WHV age, but I suppose where there's a will, there's a way.

DId it ever wreck your head trying to keep the house in Ireland sorted/paid for, even with the exchange rate being so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

seachto7 wrote: »
    DId it ever wreck your head trying to keep the house in Ireland sorted/paid for, even with the exchange rate being so bad?

Yes ! :mad:

Come on he SMV taks a lot of pressure of you and makes finding work easier.

But you can come on a WHV while you wait for that you see.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Yeah back to the original question, everything is what you make of it. I went on a j1 to the states and really disliked it but enjoyed my two years in Australia.

I've reluctantly decided to go back to ireland for family reasons but I d wouldn't be surprised if I come back here permenantly in a few years. I came over at 27 and did find myself somewhat too old for the backpacker life so I got a decent job pretty quicklty and was lucky enough to get sponsership. I've tried to avoid the Irish backpacker scene and make some australian friends but to be honest do find myself hanging out with Irish people more these days.

Ohj, and oddly enough, I like aussies! A bit arrogant but sure its all a pose, they are kittens under it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Ah you need a few of your own every now and then the match was the first time i talked to an irish person in a month and a half it made me feel good now i must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Im a year away from permanency, currently sponsored and pretty secure where I am.

My worst case scenario is to attend Uni. I came over here prior to turning 31, instead of doing my final year, of a part time Bsc. So I plan to do that here, possibly while at work.
    Back up plan in a fall out Boy, Pete Tong, tits up, pare shaped scenario. It will allow me stay while I do it and then apply for a graduate visa on completion. win win solution for my scenario.

Low interest rates are really helping my situation at home too but at the end of the year circumstances change far for the better also and things will be easier. No matter what I want and intend to stay with my other half and I am very much a solutions kind guy and little issues like 20 year mortgages at home wont stop me :)

Yeah you see your planning on not leaving so in your case it makes sense. Plus you sound like you have several back up options and the cash to chase them.

In the OPs case I think now is not the time to take a trip to Oz for a year leaving a fairly secure situation in Ireland. Its the sensible thing to do but far from the fun thing.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

greatdeeds wrote: »
    I couldnt agree more, 'Paddys on tour' can be a very hard thing to stomach.

ahhhhh jaysus!!!!! yer oirish! whereya from loike? im from ballygobadbarnet, do you know sinead ni tricolor? we went to school together, us oirish have to stay toether loike dont we? its too hot isnt it loike? its not loike back home, i miss the mammy, and i wish to go-od that we could get some bloody club orange and some lyons tea, and dont you just hate those smiley "pseudo-gay" faceson everyone here, and i miss corrie, and jasus have you ever been to........

fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

ahhhhh jaysus!!!!! yer oirish! whereya from loike? im from ballygobadbarnet, do you know sinead ni tricolor? we went to school together, us oirish have to stay toether loike dont we? its too hot isnt it loike? its not loike back home, i miss the mammy, and i wish to go-od that we could get some bloody club orange and some lyons tea, and dont you just hate those smiley "pseudo-gay" faceson everyone here, and i miss corrie, and jasus have you ever been to........

fúck off.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

WWMan is describing what "Paddys on tour" are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Heard as many bad stories about the place as good. Hell of a lot of drunken fools over there on tour and jobs are hard to come by now..But's that's only what i've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I just think that all those smiley "pseudo-gay" faces around me would drive me insane within a week, never mind a year. And i also am not a big fan of the heat.
    Why on earth are you even considering going?

To be honest OP. Don't waste your time. You're negative neddie attitude already has you on the wrong foot. Go to Kerry instead, the ring of Kerry in unreal, but specifically for your tastes it is cold and you will see plenty of "pale-faced frowns", which means you won't have to see any pseudo-gay smiles - whatever the F that is. Save your money and keep your attitude at home.

What the hell is a "pseudo-gay" face?

Reckon the charter should be modified so that anybody making a generalistation should be banned. This thread is riddled with them,there's nothing more ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

ahhhhh jaysus!!!!! yer oirish! whereya from loike? im from ballygobadbarnet, do you know sinead ni tricolor? we went to school together,

Jaysus yeah. You think thats bad, what about all those English I ran into "oh yeah I was in Dublin 3 years ago, ya know x y z nightclub do ya?". How dare they try to construct conversation with me. Like I care where they have been.

And that French lad I ran into, jaysus, "yeah I worked in Dublin for a few months, I used to watch zee Ligue 1 in eh, you know Frasers?"

I should have took your attitude, "its called Murrays now, now piss off with your emerald oisle stories".
    its too hot isnt it loike? its not loike back home

And Tooheys New is a sh1te beer. And some Sydney railway stations have signposts to toilets/station exits that have been bricked off. And the police really ought to do something with the way junkies and alcos can sit around main city areas in a manner which wouldnt be tolerated in Dublin. And the up country trains often dont adaquately announce what station you have arrived at. And drinking beer out of a schooner is like drinking champagne from a can. And drinking goon wine from a bag is plain pikey.

Oz is a great country, but **** if people arent going to call out its numerous bad points.
    and jasus have you ever been to........

Me "No, never been to Frankfurt, bar the airport"...Her "when you are settled back in Ireland permanently you should come to Frankfurt and give me a shout! There is this great rave club.....". Not to mention the Welsh lads inviting me to keep in contact to go on the lash in Swansea whenever we all end up back on these isles.

Exactly what the fcuk is wrong with getting to know fellow Irish people abroad in the same manner you chat to foreign people? What is wrong with Irish pubs?

Mind you, recalling your posts before the Ireland vs San Marino match I am not surprised at the self hatred ;)
    WWMan is describing what "Paddys on tour" are like

Friendly and up for a banter?

Im not surprised he hates them, they probably didnt have a high opinion of him either after having the neck to talk to him in their tweedle dee accents.

shane86 wrote: »
    Jaysus yeah. You think thats bad, what about all those English I ran into "oh yeah I was in Dublin 3 years ago, ya know x y z nightclub do ya?". How dare they try to construct conversation with me. Like I care where they have been.

And that French lad I ran into, jaysus, "yeah I worked in Dublin for a few months, I used to watch zee Ligue 1 in eh, you know Frasers?"

I should have took your attitude, "its called Murrays now, now piss off with your emerald oisle stories".

And Tooheys New is a sh1te beer. And some Sydney railway stations have signposts to toilets/station exits that have been bricked off. And the police really ought to do something with the way junkies and alcos can sit around main city areas in a manner which wouldnt be tolerated in Dublin. And the up country trains often dont adaquately announce what station you have arrived at. And drinking beer out of a schooner is like drinking champagne from a can. And drinking goon wine from a bag is plain pikey.

Oz is a great country, but **** if people arent going to call out its numerous bad points.

Me "No, never been to Frankfurt, bar the airport"...Her "when you are settled back in Ireland permanently you should come to Frankfurt and give me a shout! There is this great rave club.....". Not to mention the Welsh lads inviting me to keep in contact to go on the lash in Swansea whenever we all end up back on these isles.

Exactly what the fcuk is wrong with getting to know fellow Irish people abroad in the same manner you chat to foreign people? What is wrong with Irish pubs?

Mind you, recalling your posts before the Ireland vs San Marino match I am not surprised at the self hatred ;)

Friendly and up for a banter?

Im not surprised he hates them, they probably didnt have a high opinion of him either after having the neck to talk to him in their tweedle dee accents.

indeed.

it would appear that you have me banged to rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

What I dislike is when Irish people fly all the way over here, and then ONLY go to irish pubs. They're off the building site at 3, then it's home, throw on the Munster jersey and hit the Irish bar for the night. They basically make no effort to go to Aussie Bars and meet Aussies.
    Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give a sh1t what they do, it doesn't affect me at all, I just don't understand it...they could stay in Ireland and do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

What I dislike is when Irish people fly all the way over here, and then ONLY go to irish pubs. They're off the building site at 3, then it's home, throw on the Munster jersey and hit the Irish bar for the night. They basically make no effort to go to Aussie Bars and meet Aussies.
    Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give a sh1t what they do, it doesn't affect me at all, I just don't understand it...they could stay in Ireland and do that.

tbh Irish bars abroad have a sense of community that you dont get in Irish pubs in Ireland itself. Probably because they are now less packed due to the high cost of a pint in Dublin, but I thought it was great the way my mate never walked into one without getting into convo with at least 3 people he knew, every single time we went without fail. Some he knew from the sites, others he just go to know from drinking there, and I myself got into convo with loads of randomers every time we went. Alot friendlier than the sh1te back here, and for half the price.

I was in a few Aussie bars, after work type places for office workers. Far less people in them than the Irish pubs, and everyone keeping to their own group in their own corner. Certainly not get to know each other type places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

tbh Irish bars abroad have a sense of community that you dont get in Irish pubs in Ireland itself. Probably because they are now less packed due to the high cost of a pint in Dublin, but I thought it was great the way my mate never walked into one without getting into convo with at least 3 people he knew, every single time we went without fail. Some he knew from the sites, others he just go to know from drinking there, and I myself got into convo with loads of randomers every time we went. Alot friendlier than the sh1te back here, and for half the price.

I was in a few Aussie bars, after work type places for office workers. Far less people in them than the Irish pubs, and everyone keeping to their own group in their own corner. Certainly not get to know each other type places.

I have to agree and disagree with this, I agree that when I can walk into some bars and start a conversation very quickly, people who would be friends of friends at home suddenly become very good friends over here,
    but I think aussie bars are also excellent, and after drinks on friday have been some of better nights out for me, Ryans bar on a good friday is unlike anything you'll see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I agree with hussey's agreeing and disagreeing. I used to spend the odd time in Aussie bars in London, mostly to watch big matches & to mix with some of my own for a bit.

Most people I know who travelled overseas, initially spent a lot of time hanging out with other australians. It's that comfort factor of landing in a totally different community, and the easiest community to get into is the expats - other people like yourself who've been thrust into a different world.

After a while, you get sick of it, you meet some locals through work or whatever, then you're out & about doing what locals do - and at the same time giving sh1t to "all the aussies who just come here and drink in aussie pubs" :D

Same goes for Irish/English/whomever I reckon.

• Advertisement

Agree Hussey. There are some fantastic Aussie pubs in Sydney:

Paddington Inn, The Argyle, Ryans, Bar Cleveland, Marlborough Hotel, Coopers, Court House (Newtown) the Cricketers, The Light Brigade, Bar Broadway...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Spent 3 months in Sydney now, but looking forward to moving on and doing some proper travelling.

When I first came over I spent a bit of time in the Irish pubs with friends but quickly tired. Seeing the sun rise in the Court House one morning was the wake up call to make more of my time abroad. I've cut back on the more Irish-type things of heavy drinking and tried to engage in the stuff that makes Australia fantastic e.g. the brilliant attitude towards personal fitness and outdoor activity.

I've become pretty much addicted to surfing and try and get away most weekends to a new beach. I managed to play a few games of cricket as well for the first time in a few years which was great and doing these sort of things allows you to break from the Irish clique that can be found in Sydney and engage with some aussies which is well worth it.

My main pet hate about Australia though is the much higher incidence of GAA jerseys among the Irish population than you'd find at home. "Paddys on Tour" is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

My main pet hate about Australia though is the much higher incidence of GAA jerseys among the Irish population than you'd find at home. "Paddys on Tour" is right.

Don't even get me started on that sh!t.

I was flicking around on the tv last night, and one of those terrible programs came on 'Bondi Rescue.' They we're interviewing people on the beach on Christmas day, and in one really short clip I saw a Mayo jersey, a Sligo jersey and some random club jersey. All hammered and making idiots of themselves. The next time I flicked back, the lifeguard was basically trying to convince some lad (irish) not to go into the sea. The guy was so off his head that he could barely stand (or speak).
    Excellent, found the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EafcoH4zFSE

Kind of funny, but at the same time, this is the kind of sh1t that give us the name we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My ex housemate (back in backpacker days) once wore his Leitrim GAA jersey when brining his girlfriend out on valentines day .... his words
    "I only wear this on special occasions"

I don't own one, but back in the days we went out with a lad with a Mayo jersey one night - man it was a chick magnet, he just had random girls walk up to him "where ya from etc ... do you know" and it worked for him big time!

I'm from dublin, if I had one the only people that would come up to me, would be people looking for drugs :)

I was flicking around on the tv last night, and one of those terrible programs came on 'Bondi Rescue.' They we're interviewing people on the beach on Christmas day, and in one really short clip I saw a Mayo jersey, a Sligo jersey and some random club jersey. All hammered and making idiots of themselves. The next time I flicked back, the lifeguard was basically trying to convince some lad (irish) not to go into the sea. The guy was so off his head that he could barely stand (or speak).
    Excellent, found the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EafcoH4zFSE

Haha, I saw that as well last night. In fairness there were more than Irish lads making fools of themselves but the crowd of eejits that got caught in the rip really took the biscuit.

I can understand wearing the Mayo jersey on Christmas day (very festive) but the Sligo one????

There's nothing wrong with wearing your county's GAA jersey. I see no difference between that and a soccer/rugby jersey. It's just unfortunately a few of the wrong types are easier to point out wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, not everybody from ireland is living in aus/nz because they want to experience a new country. i loved ireland and living there and am only living in new zealand, and i mean only here because my boyfriend does. it's grown on me in the last year, but i spent a large amount of the first year miserably homesick. i loved home and i missed home heaps. on the rare occasions i got out and got to chat to other irish people, i loved it.

that said, im not here with any irish people, and, not counting the melbourne beers i was at, the last time i talked to an irish person in aus/nz was about july/august. for the most part, i've been spending time with kiwis, a couple of chinese and a czech.
    Spent 3 months in Sydney now, but looking forward to moving on and doing some proper travelling.

When I first came over I spent a bit of time in the Irish pubs with friends but quickly tired. Seeing the sun rise in the Court House one morning was the wake up call to make more of my time abroad. I've cut back on the more Irish-type things of heavy drinking and tried to engage in the stuff that makes Australia fantastic e.g. the brilliant attitude towards personal fitness and outdoor activity.

I've become pretty much addicted to surfing and try and get away most weekends to a new beach. I managed to play a few games of cricket as well for the first time in a few years which was great and doing these sort of things allows you to break from the Irish clique that can be found in Sydney and engage with some aussies which is well worth it.

isn't it just the greatest?! haha, for all i kept hearing about how 'laid back' kiwis were, i never saw it till i started surfing and got to know a few peeps on the surf scene. greatest thing in the world, mate.

though i must confess, i do love my kildare jersey... though it's the only one i brought with me, i used to have a goalie and a normal one, as well as a tipp one that i wore frequently... what can i say, my life revolved around GAA for most of my life, i can't just pretend it never happened!

though i have about 3 hurleys and 5 sliotars over here, and every now and then can persuade some friendly locals into having a puck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I was flicking around on the tv last night, and one of those terrible programs came on 'Bondi Rescue.' They we're interviewing people on the beach on Christmas day, and in one really short clip I saw a Mayo jersey, a Sligo jersey and some random club jersey. All hammered and making idiots of themselves...
    I saw that too. Luckily they had subtitles as they usually do when they are rescuing drunken boggers from Backpackers Rip because its hard to understand wtf they are saying half the time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Just me, but I don't get the whole GAA jersey thing (or the soccer or rugby jersey) abroad...I don't feel the need to stick on a jersey like a badge stuck to my head saying "I'm Irish me", but each to their own I guess...

Just let the accent "do the talking" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Australia is an idiot' paradise. There's hard well paid work. Alot of people are sound and boring and there's no intellectual culture at all.

The people aren't that bad they're just mostly very thick.

If you are thick you'll love Australia.

• Advertisement

ah, look, i dont hate irish people, what i tend to hate is that so many of them that leave ireland and go anywhere in the world seem to have this opinion thaat if youre from ireland, you immediately want totalk to them, learn all about their personal history and think that you have some sort of bond with them that goes further than blood, just becuase you know what a 'suddie and red' is.

but it isnt just irish people, its any person that does that. when in rome and all that. im not saying you should leave all of your roots behind at the luggage check in, but at least try to integrate. if you dont like then great, at least you tried, but dont go to another country, hang around with your own nationality, bag the natives of that country and tell me that its crap when all you did was go and get langered 6 nights a week in the local irish/english/german/kiwi/whatever bar.

ireland is a very insular country. theres no need to continue it when you go abroad.

as for the jearseys, i tend to stay away from them, becuase gaa people are just thinko culchies anyway...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement