Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia - Has anyone hated it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Australia is an idiot' paradise. There's hard well paid work. Alot of people are sound and boring and there's no intellectual culture at all.

The people aren't that bad they're just mostly very thick.

If you are thick you'll love Australia.

although, i am apparently the exception to the rule :)

having said that, there is very little intellectual culture, but there is some. you probably wont find it in the irish bar though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Australia is an idiot' paradise. There's hard well paid work. Alot of people are sound and boring and there's no intellectual culture at all.

The people aren't that bad they're just mostly very thick.

If you are thick you'll love Australia.

Bit of a sweeping statement there that you have no possible way to prove.

And if its just your opinion thank you so much for gauging the regard in which it should be held. Please spare me the infraction and leave it at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

becuase gaa people are just thinko culchies anyway...

You are so far up your own ass, seriously! You have some chip on you.

I cant stand the GAA jersey wearing Paddy's on tours either but 99% of them have nothing to do with GAA in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Australian is an "idiot's paradise" and no "intellectual culture".hmmmmmm.
    It depends on where you go. Are you saying that Ireland is oh so full of intellectual culture, that you just got to have it everyday or your head will turn to mush?

Like minded people find like minded people wherever you go in the world.
    If you want to hang out with racists you can do so, if you don't you can do so...

As for it being an "idiots paradise". Just because lots of tradesmen and builders have got good opportunites there, I dunno...Are you saying they're thick?

It's true that lots of great Aussie bands had to go to Europe to make it, but all actors have to go to Hollywood too, and that's no cultural hotspot is it?

There's lots of great Aussie arts going on, you just got to seek it out...

You could go to France or Italy with all the culture you'll ever want, and what are you going to do??? Do you visit museums everyday....?

I lived in Italy for 2 years, and yeah, there's lots of culture, but you still have to work everyday, and do the same stuff you do anywhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

seachto7 wrote: »
    Australian is an "idiot's paradise" and no "intellectual culture".hmmmmmm...
    seachto7 - I wouldn't bother replying to someone like that. It's a pretty retarted statement.
    This thread has become the typical wash of bullsh1t from a minority of idiots, it should be locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Okay folks, I'm going to issue one warning on this thread.

This is the one warning.

No more off topic claptrap. No more observations about the minority Irish who are making the rest of us look bad with their behaviour down here (because they *do* exist, even if you don't want to admit it.) No more sweeping generalisations about Australia being the land of the dense.

Either bring it back on topic, or it's locked and I WILL hand out bans straight up - this single thread warning also counts as PERSONAL WARNINGS TO THE LOT OF YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

It is interesting to note that after 66 posts veryangryman has not responded to his own thread in which he is apparently seeking advice on moving here. This would suggest that he is either not really interested in moving here OR as his name would suggest he is deliberately trying to create an inflammatory thread (trolling) by framing his post with a loaded question that is carefully designed to create conflict. Maybe I am wrong but looking at threads such as this tells me he is not here to genuinely seek information but has a chip on his shoulder and likes to cause trouble.

For the record I am not a typical paddy on tour. Before moving to Australia I lived in London for 5 years, Holland and France for a year, and the United States for two years. I have been here just under 10 years, have been married, had children, gotten divorced and been through hell and back in all that time without a trip back to the country where I was born. Even after all that I still love Australia and call it home. In fact in all the time I have been here I have only been out with a group of Irish people once and that was for the Melbourne Beers a month or so ago!

I want to echo WWM's sentiments in another thread because it encapsulated everything about this 'Great Southern Land'...
    i like living in a country built on average people. i like living in a country where everyone gets a chance. i like living in a country where one person, no matter how small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, can make a difference when you work with so many other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

dSTAR wrote: »
    For the record I am not a typical paddy on tour.

I can second that one... this man wears flipflops/jandals/thongs!!! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

dSTAR wrote:

I want to echo WWM's sentiments in another thread because it encapsulated everything about this 'Great Southern Land'...

Do you not think WWM's analysis applies to Ireland as well? I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It all depends on why you go. I went for a year to party and pull nice women. I did both quite a bit. No matter where I went in OZ I would seek out an Irish commuity. for two reasons, one to get the low down on the area and two, to source work.

I found that your own look after you, this has been true for anywhere I have been in the world. Oz is a great place to visit, great working life style and social life.

Sun,surf,beachs, woman, BBQ,stubbys, the coutry is rich in those resources and that made me a very happer camper.

A great place to visit but I wouldn't live there.

• Advertisement

A great place to visit but I wouldn't live there.

this is the big question though. Why not? What didn't you like? I don't know if it's wise to push this question as the thread could descend into a slagging match again, so apologies mods, I'm not looking for a rise out of anyone.

I ask because I am and have been considering going back there lock stock and barrell, but every week I have an argument with myself about it...

People who don't want me to go trot out the ".mmeeeehhhhhh, lovely country but I wouldn't live there..."

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

seachto7 wrote: »
    this is the big question though. Why not? What didn't you like?

I have loads of family and close friends on the top side of the world, I wanted to be near-ish to them. I spent about seven years out of Ireland but was only ever a few hours away by plane which I liked, it meant I didn't miss important events in these peoples lifes.

Its horses for courses, I spent a year there and that was enough, I know plenty of people who stayed.

Mickey Dolenz.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I'm not too bothered about not being around family and friends, but I suppose it would be a different story if I was living and settled that far away. I dunno. It's hard to call....
    I lived in Italy before and went home twice a year, but as you say , it was easy to organise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Don't go to or avoid a country on the accounts of people you know or don't know. It all depends on yourself and your own experiences. If you are friendly and happy to meet people and get involved you will have a good time almost anywhere. Of course if you throw amazing scenery and great weather into the mix you will have a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, define 'great weather' though. one thing i *hated* about australia was the weather. i just couldn't handle the heat at all. i spent a year in nz, and still can't really handle the hotter days here, let alone the hot ones in oz. if you dont do hot weather, you need to have aircon and an indoor hobby, or a love of waterbased sports, eg. surfing.

my opinion anyway... but i really truly do hate the heat, and have found it hugely challenging in living over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Do you not think WWM's analysis applies to Ireland as well? I do.
    I would say an emphatic NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

I have been living in Perth for nearly 10 years and I would never go back to live in Ireland again. Many of the negative comments are true, but for the most part if you find a nice place to work & a nice place to live Australia is a great place to be. I went home for the first time in 9 years for a few weeks in April and I couldn't wait to get back here. Dublin was so dull, miserable, expensive and depressing in comparison to Perth.

Australia has a bottom up social hierarchy, tradies are more celebrated than professionals and most Aussie males think they are alpha males which makes working with them a challenge at times, but once you get used to it you can avoid the head butting competitions. One poster suggested that Australians are thick, I think so too, most of them would seem dumber to me than the normal Irish thicko but they're more pleasant with it at least. On the whole life here is better than home, the people are friendlier, (sometimes the bogan element live closer to normal society than is ideal but you have to accept that), the weather better, everything is cheaper, cars are a reasonable size and fuel a reasonable price, schools are better and so on...

Get a couple of tattoos & a singlet, lose a couple of front teeth, grow a goatee and buy a ute, you'll fit right in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

As an Australian that has lived in Ireland for over 6 years, this thread is really enlightening.

Here is a newsflash for you:

there is not a lot of culture in Ireland
    there are some real thickos in Ireland
    the jopb opps and money were not that great
    the people are not that friendly

And also

the food is ****e, ****e, ****e.

The real sense I get in Ireland that it is a country run by the few for the few.

What worries me that Australia, like many countries have bought into the privatisation of public services and utilities like education, health and transport which has been proved to not work. Australia had developed some great national assets.

Regarding the question of men I think I can sum it up when I said to my husband if you decide to end the relationship can you please send me home and not kill me as your compatriots seem to have the taste for.

There may be chauvanism in Australia, but the misogyny in Ireland is breath taking.

No place is perfect but the only place I have been pushed off a footpath was in Dublin.

It does not bother me that there are peole that do not like Australia but some of the reasons given, you people must be sleepwalking through your own country.

In case you are wondering, this is the lst year here, we will not be going back with as much money as we hoped but I do not care.

EastWallGirl, rein it in.

Also, if you were living in the East Wall, then I am frankly hardly surprised you had a less than charming experience - and Dublin is not the entirety of Ireland.

There is little point responding to sweeping generalisations by retaliating with more sweeping generalisations.

I will let your post stand (even the frankly cuckoo part about killing unwanted wives), but don't follow it up.

AND DON'T ANYONE RISE TO THAT FLAMEBAIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

K i am sick of these guy here everyone in my house today with the exception of the aussie men said they would no longer live with aussie men because they are so argumentative its not funny dont listen to reason and are so emotional, wreck heads!!!!!

Australia is great because thankfully there are enough foreign people to never speak to the locals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Hi Jack Daniels

I have lived here for 6 years and I have lived in South side dublin, Mornington near Drogheda and I am now living in East Wall as it is a relatives house with a back yard for the dog, you are right it is not my first choice of location.

I have worked for private industry and EU projects, I read the papers and I am better informd about what is going on in Ireland today then my work colleagues.

But to see a thread like this, when lets be honest the traffic between Australia and Ireland is one way and that is south is quite staggering.

I just thought that folks on the board that for ex-pats here that they have similiar stories about livng in Ireland.

Moving countries is not easy and I think not having to learn a different language make the culture shock more of a shock.

The 'cukoo' comment about is not that cukoo when you watch the news.

Mind you I save peoples feelings when they ask me how I find Ireland, I do not even complain about the weather.

No country is perfect, it would do well for the nitpickers to keep that in mind.

I hope Mooboo is going to picked up for their comment:

Australia is great because thankfully there are enough foreign people to never speak to the locals

THAT is offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Mod i didnt mean for this to happen. if you would read the message i sent you you would realize that my intent was good and i am still not trying to cause trouble. just stated my beliefs and experiences of the local population which wasnt one i came here believing

generalizations are wrong and im sorry for that but sometimes people annoy you so much you have to vent it somewhere and i am sure there are good aussies out there. I am just yet to find any under 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

I have a lot of involvement with the mountain bike scene in Perth & work & ride with a lot of "real" aussies of all ages and workers from local government and rangers and tradies. They are great people for the most part, sound as a pound. But maybe that's just because we're into bikes :P

I'm locking this because you bunch of bitches don't seem capable of reasoned debate and I'm not going to moderate every comment on this one thread.

Here's a suggestion - cop on to yourselves, and have more sense. No country can be defined exclusively by one person's experiences or one person's attitudes. An entire race cannot be judged by a few individuals. A difference in cultures is part of the entire reason for travelling and living somewhere else.

If you don't like it, wherever you're living, then go back to wherever home is.

Apologies to any posters who contributed constructively to this thread. I can either ban the latter contributors, but I don't believe that quite expresses my disgust, or I can close the thread. Anyone who feels they have more - sensible more, that is - to contribute on this topic, please PM me and I will consider editing the thread to remove inflammatory comments and reopening the debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement