Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't see all the COD4 servers!!

• 09-01-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi, it's me "the newbie" again, with yet another question... hope you can stick with me :)

I spent 2 Hrs last night trying to get a 2 player game set up with a friend of mine, both of us are in Dublin, but he's on Eircom and I'm on Esat broadband, not that that should make any difference.

We failed to see each others server games, we check and re-checked all settings to make sure we matched up.

Eventually we figures out that he can see upwards of 1000 servers in his list, but I can only see about 100 servers. No matter how I filtered.
    Sometimes my screen showed no servers after a refresh !

He's been playing for over a year and has achieved a high rank, whereas I'm a the bottom rank, could this be the problem?
    Are servers blocked from low rank players?

Or is there some other reason why I can't see all the servers in the list ??

Once again, thanks in advance guys, you've been very helpfull to date.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Most likely a firewall problem. The hosting player will need to ensure all the required ports, server port, gamespy port etc, are open to allow the other player to see the server.

You can also use the console to connect. Press the ` key and then type in "connect xx.xx.xx.xx:28930" etc to connect to your friends server, where xx.xx.xx.xx is your friends external ip address, found by visiting http://www.whatsmyip.org/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I never EVER managed to set-up a private server and get a friend to connect to it... EVER!

As a result, I rent dedicated servers. Much less hassle! Put you have to pay... :(

If you want to come play on it with your friend contact me and I'll give you the IP and password.

Also loads of Irish COD4 servers. The Smartgaming one has voting enabled so jump on it any time with your friend and change the game mode and map to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭trackerman

Most likely a firewall problem. The hosting player will need to ensure all the required ports, server port, gamespy port etc, are open to allow the other player to see the server.

You can also use the console to connect. Press the ` key and then type in "connect xx.xx.xx.xx:28930" etc to connect to your friends server, where xx.xx.xx.xx is your friends external ip address, found by visiting http://www.whatsmyip.org/.

Would that be my Windown Firewall ? Where can I access that?
    I assume I will see server port and gamespy port controls within ?

For the console mode; what is the 28930 for ?

Thanks.

Thanks for the input guys, but I'm still think I have a problem in that I can only see 100 or so servers.

Surely I should see a 1000 or so servers online ????

Or is this also related to my firewall settings perhaps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

That is the port number ( although I am fairly sure the default port for CoD 4 is 28960. I am correct in thinking that you guiys just want to find the same server to play on and not actually host a server. If this is the case then just get Xfire. Its a small app that will allow you to simply join in on someone in your friendslist.

There are usually around 13-14,000 servers online afaik. Yeah I just checked. There are over 15,000 servers up now. You also have to bear in mind that the COD4 server browser is probably the buggiest and one of the worst browsers ever made .

That is the port number ( although I am fairly sure the default port for CoD 4 is 28960. I am correct in thinking that you guiys just want to find the same server to play on and not actually host a server. If this is the case then just get Xfire. Its a small app that will allow you to simply join in on someone in your friendslist.

There are usually around 13-14,000 servers online afaik. Yeah I just checked. There are over 15,000 servers up now. You also have to bear in mind that the COD4 server browser is probably the buggiest and one of the worst browsers ever made .

Thanks for that info.

I can see the 13000 or so servers being checked when I do a refresh, but after the refresh is completed I am only shown a fraction of that number.

I might try to re-load the game and perform the 1.4 patch again tonight and see if that improves it.

You have prob filtered them out by either game type at the top or using the actual filters.

Just found this in the helo section on the CD.... it explains a lot, see text highlighted in red.

A Listen server is ideal for small to mid-sized LAN games, or small internet games where all participants are able to directly connect to the server via a known IP address. Listen servers are not intended to run indefinitely. Also, Listen servers allow the host to play the game on the machine acting as the server.

A dedicated server is ideal for large LAN or internet games. Dedicated servers are able to run for long periods of time with little maintenance if properly configured. Also, dedicated server capable of appearing in the master server list for internet games. It is not possible to play on a machine hosting a dedicated server.

· Launching a listen server.
    1) Launch Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer.
    2) Click Start New server.
    3) Select the Gametype and map.
    4) Set your server name and any other options.
    5) Ensure "Dedicated" is set to NO.
    6) Click Start.

· Launching a dedicated server.
    1) Launch Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer.
    2) Click Start New Server.
    3) Select the Gametype and map.
    4) Set your server name and any other options.
    5) Ensure "Dedicated" is set to LAN or Internet.
    6) Click Start.
    7) The game will now close and the server will run in a console window.

NOTE: Your dedicated server may not appear instantly in the Internet Server Browser. Please be patient.

I think there is a work around for this. Check the Infinty Ward Forums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement