Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Bus fares gone up again!

Options
  • 09-01-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I'd heard about it a few weeks ago, think they had posters up. It was in the papers too.

Agree on the timetable part, brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the train went up this morning too - and was late to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"We here at CIE would like to wish ourselves a Happy New Year".

10c, pretty big jump too. Normally the annual "Let's use inflation as an excuse to increase inflation" price hike is about 5c isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Public transport in this country is a shambles. Most Eastern European countries have far more efficient systems and they don't have anything like the money we have in Ireland. Buses here are exceptionally bad, with fictional timetables and drivers making up their own routes. They should bring in a system whereby the fare goes down by 10c for every minute the bus is late, but it's more likely that we'll all travel to work on flying pigs first. Shower of incompetent ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It was advertised a bit alright, I often use 5/7/8 and saw the signs on them buses. So annoyed though, the service is getting worse every month. This whole malarkey of bus drivers stopping in the busstops on Patricks St. and jumping in the busses to have a chat with each other is a joke.

Was on the Dublin -> Cork train last night. Got the 8 o'clock train, "broke down" in Thurles. We had to wait 90 minutes for the 9 o'clock to come. Apparently train fares have gone up 5% aswell? Bah:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Have the orbital services gone up too? What about weekly/monthly passes?

A friend told me at lunch that the monthly city and city + suburban passes have gone up:( I'd presume the orbitals have gone up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

Anytime I saw the poster it was on the wall bit behind the drivers cab thing. The city+suburban thing is pretty good for what I use it for. 222 bus costs 5.00 return so it pays for itself in two weeks, add on the city routes and it's great. I can't imagine the City only passes creating such a saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Kind of strange to think the city buses are now the same prices as the orbitals were when I first started going on the 19 every day!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Stark wrote: »

10c, pretty big jump too. Normally the annual "Let's use inflation as an excuse to increase inflation" price hike is about 5c isn't it?

Don't forget that the fares have risen on Luas as well...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

First i heard of it was my sister coming home yesterday telling me that her student fare was going up, didnt know what the adult fare was going to be. timetabling is beyond a joke, the number six that theoretically goes every ten mins you'd be lucky to catch within a half hour

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Grr, buses really annoy me in Cork. Each bus shelter should have a clearly displayed timetable up, for each bus that stops there. Not only that, but they should have a list of the main stops and the approximate time that the bus will be there. It's all well and good saying the no.10 leaves Mahon Point at 10.25, but what time will it be at St. Finbarrs?

This is the timetable for my local bus in Edinburgh, and it's never more than a few minutes out. Bus Eireann are the only bus company I've EVER come across in ANY country that seem to hide their timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I thought it was only City services but town/rural bus fares have risen in price aswell. I only found out about the price going up this morning, never saw any signs at the bus station or in the paper/on the radio at all. Midleton- Cork return was €7.10, now €7.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Stark wrote: »

You're right. I was looking forward to paying €1.40 instead of €1.35 because that would have eliminated 5c coins from my pocket every day but no such luck!

I didn't see the price increase advertised anywhere although the bus driver let me off paying just €1.40 today.

John Gormley & friends - is this what happens to users of public transport while the Greens are in govt?! Is it Dan Boyle's revenge on the people of Cork?!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaCorkGeezer

I heard about the price hike last Sunday in the news alright. In the 5 and 8 buses that had put up posters about the 10c increase :(

Yesterday on my way back to the City I give EUR 2 to the driver, the cheeky man only gives me back 50c!! I had to ask for my 5c like a beggar...As if he had forgottewn about it like :mad:

I always ask for the EXACT change back. I mean if it's the other way round and that you're 5c short, they probably wouldn't let you get away with it, so... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wouldn't mind the increase if their service was ok. However bus eireann is horrible. I have to get 2 buses into and out of college everyday (223 to town, 5 to college) and it's brutal. The big thing is buses that do not come at all. And then 2 (or more) arrive at same time...

And don't get me started on the bus drivers, arrogant tools...

Bus Eireann = fail. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the bus drove past us at the stop today, couldnt have been more than five ppl on the bus when it passed. grrrrrrrr

What stop was it and dig you flag it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I like these new Eastern European drivers though, they seem to be quite professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

I have to get the train from Glounthaune every morning, and then the number 5 to college, sick of these increases now.

Hilariously ironic on Monday when I found out fares were going up, 7.45am train from Glounthaune- didn't turn up, replaced by a late bus which got stuck in traffic. 4.30pm train home- cancelled.. 5.30pm train- cancelled..

And then the cheek of staff in Kent to go on strike on Tuesday afternoon!

And to add to it, on Wednesday, waiting for 3pm train home from Kent, observed 9 Iarnrod Eireann staff standing around an Eircom broadband terminal in the station, watching videos on Youtube, I couldn't get over it! We're paying them for that sh*t! I have pictures of them..

As for buses not stopping.. happens all the time to me, especially if you're on your own at the bus stop..on the Mardyke, and the one between Gaol Cross and the ceremonial gates to UCC.:mad:

Double deckers or more buses badly needed on the 5 and 8 anyway, especially in the mornings and 4pm-6pm.

Rant over!

Do you flag down the bus?

alancork wrote: »
    I have to get the train from Glounthaune every morning, and then the number 5 to college, sick of these increases now.

would you not just walk to college? it's cheaper ...

Good point. It only takes about 15 mins to walk from the city centre to UCC, you'll easily spend that time waiting for the bus with the city's ****ty service. Even when I was doing it and taking the No. 8 all the way from college to my house, I'd often walk from college to the city centre as I had a better chance of getting the bus, or get off in the city centre and walk to college so I wouldn't have to lose time listening to the bus driver having a chat with his friends or going off for a wee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

He said in his post that he waits for the bus outside UCC. And you would be surprised at how lazy people can be. I'm having an argument on another forum at the moment with people who are complaining about two pubs that are 1km apart and having to get a taxi between them :) No wonder traffic is mental.

lol there were times when I was in college when I walked from Douglas to UCC. Wouldn't it almost be quicker to walk out to the college anyway in the morning with all the traffic on Patrick's St?

I used to walk home a lot from UCC to Mayfield (uphill, but I did have shoes ;) ) and it was generally quicker than getting the bus. Never did it in the morning though, it's hard enough getting up as it is without the thought of a best part of an hour's walk ahead of you :)

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    . Wouldn't it almost be quicker to walk out to the college anyway in the morning with all the traffic on Patrick's St?
    absolutely - I've often walked past the same car at college road and patrick street on the way in of a morning.

• Advertisement

the stop in grange near the pinecroft goin into town. there's always ppl to pick up at that stop and i wasnt th only one there. i didnt flag it down, but ive never had to do so before, there's only one bus route through grange, you're not gonna be waiting on anotehr one

Advertisement