Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Bus fares gone up again!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Im pretty sure he means CIT.
    Doubt anyone would be lazy enough to get a bus to UCC from the City.

You would be surprised... Lot of lazy folk who sit at back of the no.5 then take about 10 minutes to get off the bus at UCC... Stupid, you'd be way quicker walking in the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

You can't complain about a measly 5/10c rise on the price of a fair. Have ye seen the price of petrol/diesel? The rest of us who drive cars/bikes have to buy this fuel which is continuing to increase in price and the buses don't run on fresh air. It’s only fair that the customer pays for the increase in fuel price ... that’s just life!
    And the bus fair will continue to increase as long as the price of fuel does

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does that mean if the fuel price were to fall again, that the fares would also fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Stark wrote: »
    Does that mean if the fuel price were to fall again, that the fares would also fall?

Very true...

Also, I don't think people would be too pushed about the price increase if the service was any good. But it is appalling... I have used buses in Scotland, London, Switzerland, France and all these places can have buses that run to the minute, why not here?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Stark wrote: »

The chances of fuel prices falling by anything substantial is a very little. Currently oil is making roughly $100 a barrel and is predicted to double within two years.
    Be honest here, do ye really expect to receive the same service at the same price when the cost of fuel to the service provider is continually increasing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

juror wrote: »
    Be honest here, do ye really expect to receive the same service

yes we do. I expect the train to run, bus users expect to be picked up by the bus at the stop.
    I think this is what people are really saying - it's hard to pay more for less of a service. I know the first day I paid the new train fare the train was 15 minutes late.

The fuel issue is basically a separate one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I was asking about the flagging down because of something a bus driver told me. He said that the drivers aren't obligated to stop at a bus stop with people standing there if no one flags the bus down if it's on a multi bus route. That would apply to the poster standing by Gaol's Cross, you flag the bus you want be it the no.5 or the no.8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NotNumberTwo

Faith wrote: »
    Grr, buses really annoy me in Cork. Each bus shelter should have a clearly displayed timetable up, for each bus that stops there. Not only that, but they should have a list of the main stops and the approximate time that the bus will be there. It's all well and good saying the no.10 leaves Mahon Point at 10.25, but what time will it be at St. Finbarrs?

This is the timetable for my local bus in Edinburgh, and it's never more than a few minutes out. Bus Eireann are the only bus company I've EVER come across in ANY country that seem to hide their timetables.

never mind timetable and shelters - I live on the n2 route and only seen 1 shelter between the centre and Mahon - but what I don't understand is that how on earth I am supposed to know which bus stops where? all I can see that it's a bus stop, thanks, but which bus it is, don't have a clue. I had to buy a map of Cork with the bus routes to get an idea. or is it only bus n2?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the number six is a single bus route all the way from frankfield to grange cross

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

juror wrote: »
    The chances of fuel prices falling by anything substantial is a very little. Currently oil is making roughly $100 a barrel and is predicted to double within two years.
    Be honest here, do ye really expect to receive the same service at the same price when the cost of fuel to the service provider is continually increasing?

Fuel prices rise and fall. They were at their current level around a year and a half ago, then fell by nearly 20c, yet we still got the annual fare increase. It's coming down to the boys in Government paying lip service to public transport and constantly reducing the subsidy more than anything. I suppose they need the money to pay our Kyoto fines...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

I better clear up something.. it IS UCC, and I do walk, unless its raining.. I am not a lazy string of sh*t like, as many people who get off the train and onto the bus everyday are. I can't afford to be getting the bus everyday, its a luxury for bad days only! Still, the service is shocking..

And as for flagging buses down, yes, I do. Once outside Victoria Lodge, number 5 was coming, stuck out my hand... he didn't stop. The bus got stuck in traffic about 2 metres from me at the traffic lights on Victoria Cross, so I walked up to the door, asking the driver why he didn't stop, only to get the middle finger in return, and a closed door.. I know they are not allowed to stop and let me on if not at a bus stop, but he had for some reason, ignored me flagging him down.

I'm not lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

^^I bet he was on the lane furthest away from you wasn't he? They always do this at the Victoria Lodge stop cos that lane is just a small bit less busy
    I live in Farranlea Hall where there is a bus stop right outside.A few times i was coming home Wilton direction at around 2p.m(so not too busy) I pressed the bell for Farranlea Hall.Driver never stopped.So i pressed it for Victoria Lodge.Didn't stop there eithir.So i got up and told him to stop.He said he'd stop at the next one(past the AIB which is bit of a walk)When he stopped my friend and I confronted him.He made excuses and told us to **** off.I just said 'just cos you have a thankless job doesn't mean you shouldn't do it properly'

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaCorkGeezer

next time it happens, try and get the bus' reg plate number, the line, the time and place, and lodge a complaint with the NCA. Thing is, it's pointless to give out and do nothing about it. They shouldn't get away with it :mad:

blow69 wrote: »
    ^^I bet he was on the lane furthest away from you wasn't he? They always do this at the Victoria Lodge stop cos that lane is just a small bit less busy'

Ya, exactly, it was as if he decided it would be too much hassle to change lanes, considering I was the only person there. But it pi*sed me off he wouldn't let me on when he was stuck in traffic a small bit down, especially when he had seen me.

I know I should complain, I know! But then again, you don't want to sound like a whinger do ya:rolleyes: ( which is exactly what I'm doing here..ah you have to have some outlet!:D)

^So you're willing to accept crap service 'cos you don't want to sound like a whinger?:rolleyes:

I've "complained " 3 times with a handwritten letter, could care less if someone in Bus Eireann thinks I'm a whinger.

No, I'm actually like a serial complainer, its ridiculous.. i wrote a big long letter recently about Commuter tickets and prices and so on, got no reply for 2 weeks, so started sending the letter everyday, until eventually, someone from Bus Eireann responded.. absolutely no satisfaction whatsoever..

So just got kind of sick of it..

Might aswell be happy and just complain about it here instead!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Yay! Oil prices are down about 10% on what they were a few weeks ago when they hit $100 a barrel. They are now at $90 a barrel - so when can we expect the 10% decrease in fares, if they are so oil sensitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Jeez lads.... the memories your bring back to me of the AWFUL cork buses.
    I'm now living in Belfast, and thankfully they run a service.

I'm scarred for life by the ballincollig bus. I *each morning* stood patiently outside UCC waiting for that bus to bring me to ballincollig. Each morning it arrived at a different time, and the man on it swore at any darned car that drove 2 slowly in front, or any person that dare press for the traffic lights. I also got charged a different fare every morning, and got asked where I was going - School uniform? Duh duh??

Since moving to Belfast however, I can rely on a bus to be there every 2 minutes. No longer do I have to put my life on the line to run across a busy road to get to the bus!! We also have pink buses up here! Double Deckers in fact!! Charge of a £1 for where your going (not any awkward coppers) and this card system where you pay for 10/20/50 bus rides in advance and swipe your card when you get on the bus. A real pleasure!#

I agree with you though, Bus Eireann are meanies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Oh don't even try and complain to Bus Eireann.You will get no response! They like to stay behind closed doors.I swear to God this country.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

I wouldn't mind if we were actually getting a good service, but it's pretty horrible to be honest. Already €2.70 to town on the magical 222!

• Advertisement

stev2604 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if we were actually getting a good service, but it's pretty horrible to be honest. Already €2.70 to town on the magical 222!

But it's worth it 'cos it's the 222! Magical mystery bus imho:p

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    But it's worth it 'cos it's the 222! Magical mystery bus imho:p

Of course it's worth it, you get an experience like no other, but it hurts my pockets..:(

Advertisement