Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

white gunk in my car????

Options
  • 09-01-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

iv a 95 ford fiesta and its started dying out on me lately i took off the oil cap one day to find a lot of qwhite gunk it also went right up to the air system, i know tha white gunk can be a sign that the heads gone but its not and the heating is grand on the car and when this gunk is cleaned out the car is fine but the problem is theat the gunk comes back afetr maybe 3 weeks..... iv been told because of the cold weather it could be condinsation, does anyone know if there is anything else i can do to prevent this happening???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

3-2-1...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Water is leaking into your oil from somewhere. You should get it checked as you probably already have guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Phooee, they wouldn't oblige:)

Sounds like it's the headsgasket. The car would have to be idle for long stretches in order for that mayonaisse to build up AFAIK.

Have you been checking you water level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 liljenny

cantdecide wrote: »
    Phooee, they wouldn't oblige:)

Sounds like it's the headsgasket. The car would have to be idle for long stretches in order for that mayonaisse to build up AFAIK.

Have you been checking you water level?

water level is fine im not losing coolant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

when was the last time you changed the oil and filter???
    oil is immulsifying, this happens when it breaks down and when water gets in it, also when you dont let it get up to operating temperature.
    is it a push rod fiesta?? well 95 it is...
    your head and block could be porous.....
    no idea about the airbox though.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's possible that your engine simply isn't running hot enough either due to short runs or a faulty thermostat.

Is it getting up to normal temperature on the gauge (assuming it has a gauge)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 liljenny

its only been serviced bout two months ago. the temp seems to be grand like it never goes past maybe a quarter mark. what do you mean short runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

In fairness, a mechanic wouldn't normally check the thermostat during a service.

By "short runs" I mean less than around 5 miles or 15 minutes so that the car doesn't get up to full operating temperature - this will vary from car to car and also car will take longer to heat up going downhill etc.

The white gunk is an emulsion of water in your oil. When your car is regularly at full temperature for a while, the water will evaporate and be drawn through the air filter as steam. It is normal to have a little water getting into the oil, but if the oil doesn't get hot enough to evaporate it the water will build up to form this "white gunk"

For most cars the temperature gauge should be at the half-way mark during normal running. However I wouldn't jump to conclusions as in a 12 year-old car it could be the gauge that is wrong.

You can test the thermostat yourself by removing it and using hot water, an accurate thermometer and a piece of thread, but if you don't feel confident about this you could get your mechanic to test it. In fact, if you are going to your mechanic it would be as cheap simply to ask him to replace it - the labour will cost more than the part.

Advertisement