Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw MkIV Tail Lights In Need

Options
  • 09-01-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

i have a silver golf mkIV and im doing a few small cosmetic upgrades. i really want clear lights as pictured but am finding them hard to get worth the money. so far im quoted €250 and thats coming from australia! either im looking in wrong places or they just are hard to coem by but any help be great.

the clearer the better the pic is just guideline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

cheers, i had tried ebay but hadnt seen those one. thats at least €200 by time they are shipped tho. sorry i just hate living in rip off ireland where we have to pay twice the price of things! ill definitely consider those ones tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Try ebay.de i get all my golf parts(mostly hard to find R32 parts etc) from there,the last set of taillights i got from there were 99 euro including postage.

Most sellers on ebay.de will speak perfect english so just send them a message asking how much for shipping to ireland,the only thing is that not alot of them use paypal and you may have to use bank transfer,not a big problem though if you really want it.

The particular ones you are looking for are made by hella if i remember correctly,and are pretty rare,for my two cents ive never seen them on a car the suited,but everyone is different.

Search on ebay.de for "golf 4 RÜCKLEUCHTEN" i had a quick look doesnt seem to be any there,but there are some nice ones to choose from and some horrible ones too!

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

IMO those lights cheapen the look of the car. nearly as bad as lexus lights. I'd be looking for GTI rear lights:
    image023.jpg
    but these would be my first choice:
    bobcar037-full.jpg
    each to their own I suppose!

i would agree with colm,but i think GTI lights are as common as muck these days,the second ones are the ones i have fitted to my MK4 and are pretty rare over here - for now!

• Advertisement

that second set looks good enough to be OE quality,
    IMO that's what modifying Golfs is all about - subtlety

The second set is OE colm the are in fact poverty spec taillights on most european golfs!! the are the european equivelant of the crap red and orange tail lights you see on golfs here!!

I thought the foreign base lights had more white in them than those?

ok here is my car and maybe then you will see why i want the clear ones. she is silver. i intend on getting her resprayed in next month or so so hence we will be nice and colour coded too all going to plan.
    i love the spot lights and eyebrows they came with her and i think a spolier on any mk4 golf adds a bit of definition to an other wise curvy end to car

i will add pics of back of car and alloys that are going on. at the moment i have the orange and red horrible lights. i really want a crisp clean look.... im just gonna have to do it bit by bit so if i dont like something i can change it and she wont end up looking common, i know with just the alloys shed look good right now. that said a lot of people wont like the wheels im putting on. i like the subtleness of the spots.

i have numberplates picked out and all from fancyplates.com. just plain black font in kinda chnunky style. wanna keep it german!

okay so thats the spots up close, the back and the alloys im hoping to put on her. i just dont know what to do about tail lights. whether to go light or dark?

the alloys have that gunmetal greay and silver in them, so hence why i think they will look twice as nice when resprayed. so should i go for clear glass like at front? or maybe grey to pick up wheels?

http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-GOLF-4-RUCKLEUCHTEN-KLARGLAS-CRYSTAL-SCHWARZ-NEU_W0QQitemZ180203287096QQihZ008QQcategoryZ72704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem maybe something like them?

• Advertisement

Il show ya a few pics of my golf. It might help ya out. Only got mine a few months back have done nothing yet only put in the front fogs. Going getting a 25th anniversary gti body kit for it and new 17inch alloys. You should colour code the black bumper strips around the car too.

(can anyone help me upload pics not sure how to)

Think the pics of my car should come up now.

i had seen few enough golfs with the spot lights i have to say and then when i went to see mine i thought it really added to car and no matter what golf i drive again id have them in. i knwo you can get some lovely grills and what not but i prefer the lights. needless to say if im getting it sprayed and colour coded that kinda means it will all be the one colour. i might be a girl but im not that away with the faeries. there wont be any play boy bunny rabbit ear stickers on my weapon as i like to call her.

i see those kits your on about on ebay around the 200 mark. seem nice but mine is low enough as it is, a sump protector may be more in order. you dont realise they are as low as they are as i have black below the spotlights lets say so it doesnt stand out.

the brother has a beautiful gttdi and he hopped the sump but managed to get previous owner to pay for it as it was already damaged and had it not been he wouldnt have done more damage.

Whats a GT TDI? :D never knew the made them!!

Ok a few points what engine is in the car if its a 1.4 or 1.6 you are ok with spots,if its a 1.8T or TDI spots are bad as the block the intercololer,unless its a 150 which has a front mount.

You may think your car looks ok height wise now but it will look bad when you put 18" wheels on it,although i will say darven those wheels are not the worst ive seen around.

As for the taillights i would stick with red or back based i know a girl with a silver golf with the clear hella lights you were originally looking for and it looks bad! too silvery...if you get my dirft.

The eyebrows etc are not my cup of tea but its not my car so go for it.

Heres a few pics of my golf it might throw a few ideas your way

"pics removed by poster"

Any questions just ask

S.

for a second there i was wondering should i be taking advice from somebody who doesnt know what a GT TDi is?

oh and the eyebrows and spots are already on my car! those pics are my car as it looks today is what im saying.

anyhow, where you get the idea im putting 18s on her? no way. im sticking with 15 maybe 16s, i know 17s would fit on her easily without any hassle but as i said i am going for the chunkier look.

the more i think of it the more i think ill go for all one colour darker tail lights to complement the wheels and number plates when i get it all together. like ones in the ebay link above. theres very understated smoked wind deflectors going on her at weekend so i reckon smoked lights may be better option.

i love that gunmetal grey behind the silver stripes on the alloys. reminds me of my best friend whos always wanting a gunmetal grey skyline. wouldnt have choosen them only the car is silver. wait until you see them on her. you will see what i mean. i have a picture in my head.

i think it will have to be dark tail lights.

love the rear number plate tossy. whats the sticker on the back window?

sorry i got mixed up with 18's i would go at least 16 though.

I dont think you got the sarcasm in my last post either :cool: tell me what a GT TDI is please?

look you are from kildare you attempt at humour is just that, an attempt.

okay so if anybody wants to sponsor my cars rebirth as a sex machine then please dont hesitate to donate, deflectors, alloys, lights, respray, its all ching ching! oh and yes the induction kit that i am so gonna get for a tenor. every glanza in the country will be after me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

394617891a5781740451l.jpg

They are the lights i have on my golf. They look lovely at night especially with the brake light on too.

ha ha good come back i like it :D

Still none the wiser though.......

Anyway best of luck with the "modding" the golden rule is keep it simple and subtle,well thats my golden rule anyway.

yeah they are sweet mellion, not what im looking for tho really. had to laugh, i sure as feck dont know what my car looks like from the back when its braking. im usally in it!

is there such a thing as a golf snob? i was called that the other day

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Darven wrote: »
    yeah they are sweet mellion, not what im looking for tho really. had to laugh, i sure as feck dont know what my car looks like from the back when its braking. im usally in it!

I got someone to put their foot on the break when i was standing behind it, smart arse ;)

Darven wrote: »

Yes there is and i would consider myself one :D

i wouldnt mind but it was somebody who knows me really well who called me a golf snob. its not that im exclusive, im sure ill at least drive other cars, i just really really adore my car. it just happens to be a golf and some of the best engineering in the world.

yeah im a golf snob. i dont look down on other cars though, so maybe just a golf enthusiast. and ill be in her in 5 minutes.

I don't look down on other cars but i find myself frowning at other golfs thinking jesus i wouldn't put those wheels on or those lights or whatever,and NO thats not a dig at anyone!! :D

If I was you I'd:
    colour code the handles front splitter and rubbing strips
    lower it
    fit 17's (the ones you're planning look v.nice)
    get rid of the "Golf" badge on the back
    Get some HID's
    not get those clear rear lights as they're very fussy and cheap looking

Colm a man of reasoning. thank you for your input! unlike the snobby Tossy

now see i have a problem. when i bought her (24th march 06) she looked great but after a few weeks, still looking great i noticed some wear and tear on the drivers side pillar, around fuel cap etc, now there was always the usual chips on bonnet a few scratches here and there but the paint had obviously had a run in with something.

i brought her to body image in cork as i know Devon and Cornell fairly well at this stage. they said id get a full respray for 1200, nearly a year later i still haven't gotten around to taking them up on their offer. i just think that if i just get it colour coded then its going to make the existing dodge paint look worse. where its bad its almost holographic, perfect from one angle and not nice from another. you have to be pretty close to notice. that said when it is your own car you would notice a mile away. Cornell reckoned that what had happened is somebody had a go at fixing a scratch or touching up paint in places and ****ed it up, long story short. i don't think it will get worse but still id always know it wasn't perfect. to get it full colour coded without total respray what am i talking? price wise?

yeah the wheels are fantastic i love them. going to see them at weekend i think. only seen them online so far. i think ill stick with 15s or 16s tho. ill decide when i price bigger ones and see them in the flesh so to speak. i have been looking at a lot of golfs with beautiful 17s and i find you end up rating wheels and not over all affect. its a bit of a cop out putting 17s on car and thinking, wow thats amazing, of course it is! tie some dimante around a knackers neck and she will sparkle too! i just dont want to have nice wheels and a car on top, i want a nice car that has understated lovliness.

i wont be lowering her.

i may get badge taken off but then id feel obliged to get new front grill and i dont see myself doing that.

the clear lights are off the table. i reckon it will be the ones you can see in ebay link above from ebay.de.

oh lads just to finance it now!

15's are simply too small, take 16 as your minimum.

you'll need to fit red reflectors to the bumpers if using those clear or grey lights.

i just dont know. i think the wheel that im thinking about put on as a 15 wouldnt look bad as it isnt a very "busy" pattern, plus the silver over the grey stretches out and goes around the rim, hence lenghtening the spoke lenght to the eye. what has a standard golf got on it? 14s yeah and thats with the standard hubcaps that are very "full" and they dont look that terrible i dont think. as hubcaps go. ill size them up on car and see what i want and then it comes down to price. and i wont be buying them this weekend after that dismal paycheck today.

it definitely wont be clear lights, im thinking the smoked glassey looking ones. even if some fecker did buy them with 4 days left to go.

1.4 and 1.6 standard rim is 15"

TDi standard rim is 15"

GTI standard rim is 16"

V6 17"

R32 !8"

Just so ya know ms darven :D

There will be plenty of other lights on ebay dont worry.

• Advertisement

to be honest iv 16inch alloys on my golf and think they look stupid the arch in golfs are big you may as well use that space and make the car look good.

Advertisement