Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw MkIV Tail Lights In Need

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

standard golf steel wheels are 185/75 r14. christ knows i've put air in mine often enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

now now boys! maybe somebody is misinformed. i had somebody telling me last week that standard golfs come with 16" wheels, fact. no talking to them men!

My 1.4 Mk IV golf with VW factory hubcaps is on 14 wheels. end of, thats how VW make them. Maybe people choose to go for 15 or 16 at time of ordering but from what i can see they come with 14s.

i have been looking at golfs in the car park at break times, im one of three women of a site of 300 lets say so i have plenty to look at, car wise. anyhow i have seen golfs with 15s and 16s on and neither looked desperate, i just didnt like the alloys. it will all come down to how the alloys i have choosen look when i go to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Ok the facts are (and i should nkow :p )

1.4 and 1.6 14" wheels

All TDIs 15" wheels to fit over the slightly larger brakes

GTI's ,V5,V6 16" wheels to fit over the even larger brakes either 288mm or 312mmm

R32 18" wheels to fit over the very large brakes 343mm(if i remember correctly)

16" wheels in the form of alloys came on some highline TDIs or the imaginary GT TDI that some know them as.

17" wheels were an option on GTI's,V5s and V6s and came as standard on some later spec V6s

18" rims were also standard on the anniversary 1.8T and TDI

so safe to say you were wrong then.........hmmm i guess it happens to the best of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

I think hella make those silver lights.

• Advertisement

sold out for WolfRace 17s, katana i think is the wheel type. just too much bother going north for wheels. im also down to last threads so kinda need to get them on asap. got a great price i have to say seeing as i was due tyres anyhow.

deflectors on, and lights enroute depending on an ebay auction ending tomorrow.

thanks for all the help guys. this aint the last of it! just a trip to big smoke tomorrow for her new shoes!

Did you arrange to meet him at nelsons column :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

tossy wrote: »
    16" wheels in the form of alloys came on some highline TDIs or the imaginary GT TDI that some know them as.

The GT Tdi exists alright. They were only available in the UK and had most of the GTi spec (two tone rear lights, lower suspension, trip computer, sunroof, leather trimmed steering wheel etc) but with a diesel engine. Only difference on the inside between the Gti and the GT Tdi was that the GTi had recaro badged sports seats while the GT Tdi has slightly wider non badged seats. Both have the same seat material pre 2000.

I have one so I know, mine actually has GT Tdi on the V5 (bought in the north) and now on the reg cert. I also have to pay extra insurance as its classed as a Gti.

Keeping on thread i think that clear lights look terrible on Golfs, wouldn't touch 'em. Spend your money on nice 18's and get the r32/anniversary headlights and she'd be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Darven wrote: »
    sold out for WolfRace 17s, katana i think is the wheel type. just too much bother going north for wheels. im also down to last threads so kinda need to get them on asap. got a great price i have to say seeing as i was due tyres anyhow.

deflectors on, and lights enroute depending on an ebay auction ending tomorrow.

thanks for all the help guys. this aint the last of it! just a trip to big smoke tomorrow for her new shoes!

Will ya post a few pictures when ya have it all done?

Ferris wrote: »
    The GT Tdi exists alright. They were only available in the UK and had most of the GTi spec (two tone rear lights, lower suspension, trip computer, sunroof, leather trimmed steering wheel etc) but with a diesel engine. Only difference on the inside between the Gti and the GT Tdi was that the GTi had recaro badged sports seats while the GT Tdi has slightly wider non badged seats. Both have the same seat material pre 2000.

I have one so I know, mine actually has GT Tdi on the V5 (bought in the north) and now on the reg cert. I also have to pay extra insurance as its classed as a Gti.

Keeping on thread i think that clear lights look terrible on Golfs, wouldn't touch 'em. Spend your money on nice 18's and get the r32/anniversary headlights and she'd be sweet.

Congratulations on being the proud owner of a highline spec TDI golf that some dealer re badged as a GT cleverly using the G and T from a spare GTI badge!

Some facts for you....

the 2 tone rear lights you refer to the hella R/S/S/R's came on ALL highline spec golfs be it 1.4 or TDI,As did the leather steering wheel and the half height MFA display (what if your car had the full height computer display what would that make your car? a GT TDI R32??)

The GTi pre 2001 had recaro seats(not recaro badged sport seats) after 2001 that all GTIs were fitted with standard VW sport seats a poor copy of the recaro seat) all highline cars were fitted with the above mentioned VW sport seats.

As for lowered suspension? what bhp is your car? if it is a 150 PD TDI it will indeed share the same suspension set up as the MK4 GTI,if it is a 150PD it will also have the crap wood effect finish on the interior handles etc.

If however it is a 130,it will NOT have come with lowered or uprated suspension form the factory,it will have the same rolly polly bog standard suspension as any normal golf.your one may have lowered suspension that the previous owner had fitted.

Now im not knocking you or your car the TDI golf is a great car,i just sold mine : ( im merely just pointing out to you the myth of the GT TDI and letting you know its a load of bo@*ix.

The only true GT TDI is the new MK5 170 TDI and even VW dealers here and in the uk are starting to make a pigs mickey of that by badging 2.0l 140 BHP TDIs as GT's!!!

On topic the wheels should look the dogs darven,and the anni headlights would look sweet on your silver golf the also are a prett cheap upgrade,the R32 headlights would look even slicker but are as rare as hens teeth and cost considerably more,plus the are not a plug and play mod,you need some other bits and bobs.

• Advertisement

always an education tossy

got the wheels just down from nelsons column! i have done three provinces and 8 counties (twice) today, totalling 360 miles. it was worth it. thanks millions to sham for the help and sweat and near tears and the sat nav.also thanks statoil in Craughwell for the sodium lights.

some were sent a pic and agree the alloys set the already lovely sylvia off nicely, and friends agreed looking in the flesh. glad i went with 17s, even if they arent the mak alloys i originally wanted. will post pics soon Vain, thanks for interest.
    only additions since last pics of car will be deflectors and alloys, and an air filter system which wont be visible. (yes i do mean a fecking induction kit). lost the auction on the tail lights but i know what i want now. i dont see need to change front lights, i like the nice clean look she has. post pictures of these r32 headlights for a gander tho.

she wont be coded in the foreseeable future. and as i work on a construction site a body kit would make a great floor sweeper on her already sumpbangalicious self. not gonna happen and wouldnt look right with out being coded.

im off to bed.i have to be up early in morning to park her where she will be seen. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't forget locking wheel nuts!

yes im off to Halfords AKA The Honda C-I-V-I-C parking lot after work. i was just a little bit nervous going to bed with car parked on footpath in Limerick Suburbs and nair a nut to be seen.

Congratulations on being the proud owner of a highline spec TDI golf that some dealer re badged as a GT cleverly using the G and T from a spare GTI badge!

Some facts for you....

the 2 tone rear lights you refer to the hella R/S/S/R's came on ALL highline spec golfs be it 1.4 or TDI,As did the leather steering wheel and the half height MFA display (what if your car had the full height computer display what would that make your car? a GT TDI R32??)

The GTi pre 2001 had recaro seats(not recaro badged sport seats) after 2001 that all GTIs were fitted with standard VW sport seats a poor copy of the recaro seat) all highline cars were fitted with the above mentioned VW sport seats.

As for lowered suspension? what bhp is your car? if it is a 150 PD TDI it will indeed share the same suspension set up as the MK4 GTI,if it is a 150PD it will also have the crap wood effect finish on the interior handles etc.

If however it is a 130,it will NOT have come with lowered or uprated suspension form the factory,it will have the same rolly polly bog standard suspension as any normal golf.your one may have lowered suspension that the previous owner had fitted.

Now im not knocking you or your car the TDI golf is a great car,i just sold mine : ( im merely just pointing out to you the myth of the GT TDI and letting you know its a load of bo@*ix.

I suppose that these are wrong then:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=31

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=1031&page=7

I had to replace a broken spring in the back of mine and it was a VW part for the vw GT Tdi/GTi. There are a lot of Tdi's in England with a GTi badge on them with the normal suspension but mine is not one of them.

I actually checked the HPi and with VW UK that the car was a genuine GT Tdi when I bought it and like I said it has GT Tdi on my old V5 registration book. The seats are also different to a comfortline golf as is the trim. On mine its plain plastic but in a comfortline its fake wood.

I suppose someone fitted the seats as aftermarket items also.:cool:

I have friends with GTi's and GT Tdi's both north and south and they are all the same height off the ground and all standard.

Its not me thats talking a load of bo@*ix.

The "GT" thing was started by dealers in the UK as a sales gimmic trust me,the UK is massive and has a massive dealer network - its only natural that if every VW dealer in the UK is selling 130 and 150 pds as GTs (and in some case lesser models) that in turn etka(VWs computer based parts catalogue) and aftermarket part catalogues used by motor factors etc is going to be set up as having the parts marked for a GT as opposed to just TDI where as on the whole the will be identical parts across the rangge.

Furthermore its not beyond imagination that honest john and other 3rd party websites would review cars and call them what the dealers who gave them the car to review were calling them,this means little as does the V5 form-the important stats are the chassis number or the reg etc..

Now the GT as a sales gimmic was very successful everyone bought into it as being something special and different from your normal TDI and in some ways the were when in highline spec,as a result 130/150 bhp golfs are probably one of the best selling hatches in the UK ever,are VW themselves really going to knock that? such a good idea was it by the dealers in fact that surprise surprise when the MK5 comes out we hear about the upcoming (and since released) GT model.

Im not knocking your car i had/have a TDI golf the are a fantastic car,but there is nothing GTI specific about your car(and personally i wouldn't want anything GTI specific about my car read on...) apart from the fact that its a highline model and therefore shares a number of characteristics with other highline models

"The seats are also different to a comfortline golf as is the trim. On mine its plain plastic but in a comfortline its fake wood."

The trim on "ALL" mk 4 GTI and 150PD golfs from the factory was fake wood,,the R32 got the Alu trim to show you where im going with this for you to change from your black plastic to fake wood or Alu trim you have to change the entire radio cage,have you ever changed the radio cage on a golf? its no small job.surely if a car was branded a GT it should have the same dash trim as one.

The seats would want to be different form a comfortline as the were crap,the seats are highline/VW sport seats,as for retro fitting seats? my golf has heated leather recaro seats that certainly weren't in it when i bought it,i know umpteen guys in the UK who are part of the VW scene and every one of them who got a golf with sport seats or less has retro fitted better seats-the UK is full of scrap yards with wrote off GTIs,V6s and R32s whose seats have been taken and fitted in another GTI/TDI i even know a guy with a 1.4 with a full R£2 interior in it.So its far from the realms of fantasy that someone would indeed retro fit nicer seats.

As for the ride height? lets start by saying that the MK4 gti in standard form was a crap and very disappointing car(great engine in the 1.8T but you needed to work on it to bring out the best,the most a GTI ever came with was 180bhp-seat and audi were fitting the same engine with 225bhp and even at that they were still not releasing the full potential),now the car did have a different suspension than the rest of the range(apart from the 150PD which shared its suspension set up,the R32 which was miles better)but it wasnt a great suspension in that it wasn't far superior to the rest of the range in ride characteristics and ride height(take the difference between a MK5 GTI and a standard MK5 as the bench mark),there is very little difference in the ride height between say a GTI and a TDI,and if say the TDI had very compressed bumpstops or a top mount bearing was on the way out then the TDI would easily sit 5 or 10 mm lower,so to compare the ride height of one car parked beside another you would have to be 100% sure that but cars were 100% right and in factory form.

Look once again im not knocking you or your car i think you took my original post as a personal attack and it wasn't meant as such,so if you took it that way i apologize,and im certainly not knocking the MK4 tdi as a whole as a well speced or well tuned TDI will always have a special place in my heart :D

Im going to let this be my last post on this too as we are going way off topic here and ruining darvens post about the new wheels.

Good luck with the car ferris and keep it between the ditches.

Now the GT as a sales gimmic was very successful everyone bought into it as being something special and different from your normal TDI and in some ways the were when in highline spec,as a result 130/150 bhp golfs are probably one of the best selling hatches in the UK ever,are VW themselves really going to knock that?

As for the ride height? lets start by saying that the MK4 gti in standard form was a crap and very disappointing car

Agreed, but they do look better with the lower stance
    Look once again im not knocking you or your car i think you took my original post as a personal attack and it wasn't meant as such,so if you took it that way i apologize,and im certainly not knocking the MK4 tdi as a whole as a well speced or well tuned TDI will always have a special place in my heart :D

I havent taken it to heart man, and you obviously know your stuff. From my point of view the car was thought up and sanctioned by Volkswagen UK and that makes it a legitimate model like a GTi, R32, Anniversary etc. (Actually was the anniversary only available in the UK? although there was a US version also). Also these cars attract a premium 2nd hand so its in my interest to promote them. Essentially in my view they are a 'special edition' with all the extras thrown in for a set price.

Getting back on topic like you said: Golfs are not Jap crap and should be treated to tasteful mods, not 'lexus' lights. Nice 18" BBS RA's or RS4's, painted in rubbers and be slightly lower. The basic shape is right so I wouldn't mess with it.

Totally agree ferris,the basic MK4 shape is a winner its just a pity we need ot make so many mods to take them up a level esp in terms of handling and ride height!!

The anni was available world wide only 1800 were made 900 petrol and 900 diesels the only came in 3 colours red,black and silver with red being the rarest if i remember correctly,i used to know the exact break down of colours and LHD/RHD but i can't remember now!!

FOr all my ranting and raving i would totally agree with you on the second hand value and resale part,ive just recently sold my TDI and it only took me 5 days and the first viewer bought it so i was delighted with that,i dont think id sell its replacement as fast-but then again im not looking to replace it yet :D

I did keep my BBS wheels and R32 steering wheel for the new car though,i couldn't live without them!!

this is a fantastic thread with loads of info and if anybody with a quater of the passion that anybody who has posted on this thread reads it and they learn something, myself for example, then it is even more important people like tossy and ferris and colm and vain and whoever else air their views.

i have attached a pic of herself with the 17s, sorry for bad photo quality, and the mark on the door is from camera, it isn't on the door. this was taken at about 6 under blue lights on concrete at home in tipp in night mode.

you can just about mke out the deflectors. subtle.

looking good! mind the kerbs now :D

long story short, crashed it.

sourced passenger green wing,green door, silver back door,silver quarter panel from scrap yard. €380
    ordered back bumper new. €150
    tail light from ebay. €40 ish

and now if anybody knows where i can get a wing mirror with the chrome glass id be happpy. they seem to be an extortionate price.

as you can see there is a distinct lack of rubber around the front alloy, hence the crash. the rim is worn down badly now, repair of get new set?

going to be paying a mechanic around €1500 id say. quarter panel going to be the most expensive bit of course. what a balls.

oh and by the way still driving perfectly! god bless volkswagen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

long story short, crashed it.

sourced passenger green wing,green door, silver back door,silver quarter panel from scrap yard. €380
    ordered back bumper new. €150
    tail light from ebay. €40 ish

and now if anybody knows where i can get a wing mirror with the chrome glass id be happpy. they seem to be an extortionate price.

as you can see there is a distinct lack of rubber around the front alloy, hence the crash. the rim is worn down badly now, repair of get new set?

going to be paying a mechanic around €1500 id say. quarter panel going to be the most expensive bit of course. what a balls.

oh and by the way still driving perfectly! god bless volkswagen!

Oh holy mother of **** that is an absolute shame. Hard luck mate. What a sickner. www.micksgarage.ie should be handy in ur rebuild, he seems very cheap with panels as well as lights etc. If i can be of any help sourcing parts etc. gimme a shout.

thanks. im a girl by the way. im in limeirck too.

bob sweeney was the man for panels and i think for the amount of metal i got off him im doing well. micksgarage was coming out fairly expensive too so he was. going to keep eye out here and there. i refuse to spend over a hundred plus vat for the part and then extra for glass. its madness. the bumper is as expensive as the mirror!

thanks. im a girl by the way. im in limeirck too.

bob sweeney was the man for panels and i think for the amount of metal i got off him im doing well. micksgarage was coming out fairly expensive too so he was. going to keep eye out here and there. i refuse to spend over a hundred plus vat for the part and then extra for glass. its madness. the bumper is as expensive as the mirror!

Try Traynors for the mirror, I remember getting a new electric one off them for about £36 a few years back. They do postage afaik. Then you'll have to get it sprayed.

ill be getting wing, front door and im sure some on the quater panel sprayed anyhow. as the bumper coming new that will have to be sprayed so im prepared for all that.

once you cut through the bull**** of dealing with men who think a woman doesnt know what she actually needs for the car you finally get somewhere. im referring to auto factors and breakers yards etc not anybody here.

ill be getting wing, front door and im sure some on the quater panel sprayed anyhow. as the bumper coming new that will have to be sprayed so im prepared for all that.

once you cut through the bull**** of dealing with men who think a woman doesnt know what she actually needs for the car you finally get somewhere. im referring to auto factors and breakers yards etc not anybody here.

Have u already contacted sweeney? If not when ur asking for the panel don't tell him the colour ur looking for because it he has silver, and knows ur looking for silver, he bump up his price. Bargain hard with him too. I have two origional rear lights and wheels for the golf when i put gti's on mine. I'd sell the wheels but i might keep the lights and put them back onto the car when i;m selling it... Who are u going to get to do the bodywork for u?

Edit : I have a clear side indicator for the front wing if u can find one. Free of charge:P I bought two new clears ones off Hogan's for 12.00 odd a piece.

in fairness to sweeny i went out there and was given a lovely polish sherpa to go around the yard with and got to pick off what i wanted myself. the doors im taking empty were 100 a piece, one is silver and one is green, wing was 30 and quater panel which i have entire skirt and rear for too was 150. m wing came with clear indicator light so it did. i think so anyhow. i have them home in my brothers house in tipp as knowing my luck the house in castletroy would be cased!

work being done by mechanic near tipp town as i didnt know anybody in limerick good or bad to do that kinda work.

my original wheels are in storage in galway and im not too sure how attainable they are. the are just regular 15s with vw hubcaps.

i have them home in my brothers house in tipp as knowing my luck the house in castletroy would be cased!

Ha! When u said castletroy i'd another look at that pic. Pass that car everyday haha. I was wondering actually when i saw it last week and the front left was alot lower than the rest, i thought some1 had robbed ur wheels.

There's a fella in Limerick over in east way that's very good, does all my work for me. He can be a bit slow sometimes but is generally very very good quality. If ur car hasn't already gone out, i'd get a quote off him as well.

poor old sylvia! well at least you are alright M was it a blow out?

poor old sylvia! well at least you are alright M was it a blow out?

Ha funny u say that. Just after i was reading this, i was with a customer who had well say a very flashy car, and when i was looking over it i saw a huge bulge in one of his tyres and i said "U've a massive bulge in ur tyre there" to my surprise he says "i know ya, it's the awhile:eek:"

• Advertisement

hey tossy! yeah a blow out S

limerick man you must live in my estate then. oh im feeling stalked now! u noticed the car was lower but not the massive dents in every panel no? yeah a sales man i tell ya. the only cars worth driving in my estate is my own of course and maybe the two silver beamers down a few doors. ah u must be one of them! the only other golf is a tdi across the road and that aint nothing special.

just got the quater panel from sweenys there today. brother came up with jeep but they gave me the entire skirt so twas open all the way to tipp!

oh and ill so take that clear indicator if it is going spare! my drivers one is clear and realised the one on the new wing is orange when i was home. just put it through the letter box!

Advertisement