Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new Mazda 6

Options
  • 09-01-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Anyone buy or test drive the new mazda 6. Any comments. When is the Diesel version out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

March apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I have the last mazda 6, and think it's a great car. Highly underated when it comes to people shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

New one is nice but cant helping thinking its a rip off of the Lexus IS200 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I test drove the new (petrol) one with my father before Christmas, he ordered one straight afterwards, should be getting it in the next week or two.

The old one was very nice, and the new one is much improved. I'm well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Any obvious or logical reason to get one over the new mondeo, the car it is based on???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Any obvious or logical reason to get one over the new mondeo, the car it is based on???

The Mazda6 has nothing whatsoever to do with the Mondeo. The new 6 is actually based on the old 6, which in turn provides the basis for the American market Ford Fusion, a Mondeo sized car but completely unrelated to any Mondeo. The only thing those cars have in common is that they have the same badge and some of the same engines.

I thought that the new mondeo was roughly based on the old mondeo and the old mazda6 based on the old mondeo also???Was the original mazda6 independant of the mondeo as well??

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I thought that the new mondeo was roughly based on the old mondeo and the old mazda6 based on the old mondeo also???Was the original mazda6 independant of the mondeo as well??
    The Mk4 Mondeo is all new. Its chassis is also found in the Volvo V70 and S80, as well as the S-Max and Galaxy. It uses what Ford calls the EUCD platform. The Mk3 Mondeos' chassis was never used in anything else, bar the Jag X-Type. The Mazda6 uses the Ford CD3 platform(it was actually designed entirely by Mazda), and provides the basis for a lot of US market Fords, as well as well as some of the brands that Ford only sell over there like Lincoln and Mercury. The new Mazda6 also uses this chassis. The two platforms are totally unrelated. So yes, the old Mondeo and 6 weren't related, and neither are the new generation Mondeo and 6.

The smaller Mazdas are indeed based on Fords though, but for the most part use Mazda engines instead of Ford ones.

Point taken.With that in mind i think i would go for the ford.I like how mazda have tried to make it look like a lexus LS and all but i dont like lexus's at all anyway.It seems to have the same problem as nearly all other cars in the class - the base petrol engine being too weak.BTW I like the new approach in the passat 1.4tfsi.Get annoyed with how slow it feels normally so rev the guts off it and give the "turbo" a good aul workout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I sold a new one to a customer last week and to be honest it's just more of the same old thing as far as I'm concerned, a bit bland, a bit boring and will depreciate like a lead balloon no doubt. I doubt I'd ever buy one or a Mondeo either tbh, they're are way more exciting cars out there you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The Mazda is not as wide as the Mondeo which is no bad thing. Mondeo is just a bit too big for irish carparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

new Mazda6 looks nice IMO

but a bit of info for you, the new Mondeo has a LOT of breakdowns. Old man works for AA and he is bringing in new Mondeo's with serious problems as much as he brought in the VW Passat when it came out first. Bad news. Just last week, a new Galaxy's engine was in bits. Bought in March and off the road for 7 weeks already.

AlanD wrote: »
    new Mazda6 looks nice IMO

but a bit of info for you, the new Mondeo has a LOT of breakdowns. Old man works for AA and he is bringing in new Mondeo's with serious problems as much as he brought in the VW Passat when it came out first. Bad news. Just last week, a new Galaxy's engine was in bits. Bought in March and off the road for 7 weeks already.

Well, there's the reason then for a previous poster who wanted a reason to buy the 6 over the Mondeo!

junkyard wrote: »
    they're are way more exciting cars out there you know.

that's pretty much what the guy who sold me my 3 said too.
    I think his exact quote was "mazda customers seem to just want to sit into the car and drive off".
    um, yeah. basically.

deRanged wrote: »
    that's pretty much what the guy who sold me my 3 said too.
    I think his exact quote was "mazda customers seem to just want to sit into the car and drive off".
    um, yeah. basically.

Funny, in each of Mazda's respective class, I'd rate them as one of the top in terms of "excitement", even if that's too strong a word. Take the 3 saloon and compare it with a Jetta or Octavia... it's more exciting to look at, and far more exciting to drive. (again, very strong word!).
    The 6 is a better handling (more rewarding) car to drive than a lot of things in it's class, bar maybe the Mondeo. The new 2 really is the best in it's class, back to basics and I've driven one of these in Mondello with a kind of "forcefullness" for want of a better description, and it's a long way ahead of the now fat Yaris, and don't even get me started on the dull Polo.
    The MX5 is a better drive than the MG, by some margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I sold a new one to a customer last week and to be honest it's just more of the same old thing as far as I'm concerned, a bit bland, a bit boring and will depreciate like a lead balloon no doubt. I doubt I'd ever buy one or a Mondeo either tbh, they're are way more exciting cars out there you know.

In fairness Junkyard you're accustomed to upmarket motors like your M5 and X5... And most of the 6s I've seen so far are low spec, small-wheeled ones...

The 6 is far sexier-looking than anything else in that class apart from an Alfa 159. Add Japanese reliability and Mondeo-level dynamics - it's a good mixture. I'm driving a loaned 3 hatch at the moment and I'm hugely surprised. If the darn thing weren't the ugly sister of the Mazda range I'd consider buying one. It's handling and ride are exemplerary (not surprising, Focus platform).

So Mazda drivers just want to sit in and drive off? What's wrong with that? Mazdas have good handling and dynamics which makes them fun to drive. And 3 hatch apart they're also quite handsome - 2, 3 saloon, 6, MX-5, RX-8, CX-7 - not a minger amongst them. There's just a pro-German, anti-Jap bias amongst a lot of so-called car enthusiasts on here. I can live with that :) ...

pburns wrote: »
    . If the darn thing weren't the ugly sister of the Mazda range I'd consider buying one. It's handling and ride are exemplerary (not surprising, Focus platform).

Hey - I quite like the looks of my 3 hatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

they're are way more exciting cars out there you know.

Like what for instance, I have an interest in this thread because I looked at a 6 last friday, the car was okay but the salesman was s---te, told me that they had used up their quota of new 6's and i would have to buy petrol.

needless to say I won't be spending my 33k on the old airport road and probably not on Mazda (going to a Ford dealer tomorrow) but still open to suggestion

Biro wrote: »
    Well, there's the reason then for a previous poster who wanted a reason to buy the 6 over the Mondeo!
    Apart from the fact that the Mondeos petrol engines(bar the 2.5 Volvo unit) are Mazda engines;). I like the 6 and it has gotten great reviews, so I'd definitely recommend it to anyone(though would love a spin in it to be sure), in fairness modern Mazdas are getting great reviews and Japanese reliability to go with as well, the 2 and 3 are very good cars(hardly surprising given that they are both based on Fords but still, I'm impressed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Was looking at getting the 3 saloon think it looks great. Unfortunatly I found it to be boring to drive I'm sad to say. Test drove a bravo Tjet 150 the same day and would have loved to buy it looks go and goes like a rocket but at the end of the day its a fiat :( .

• Advertisement

alexmcred wrote: »
    Was looking at getting the 3 saloon think it looks great. Unfortunatly I found it to be boring to drive I'm sad to say. Test drove a bravo Tjet 150 the same day and would have loved to buy it looks go and goes like a rocket but at the end of the day its a fiat :( .

Boring to drive? As opposed to what? It's one of the best in it's class.
    Wouldn't let the fact that the Bravo is a Fiat put you off, they're even building their cars properly these days!

E92 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that the Mondeos petrol engines(bar the 2.5 Volvo unit) are Mazda engines;). I like the 6 and it has gotten great reviews, so I'd definitely recommend it to anyone(though would love a spin in it to be sure), in fairness modern Mazdas are getting great reviews and Japanese reliability to go with as well, the 2 and 3 are very good cars(hardly surprising given that they are both based on Fords but still, I'm impressed).

Although it could be argued that the Fiesta is based on the Mazda 2 chassis, seeing as that chassis only exists in Mazda guise yet, only due in all new Fiesta not yet out!

Advertisement