Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will get the final wildcard in the Premier League?

• 09-01-2008 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

7 of the 8 spots are taken in the 2008 Premier League. Who do you think will get the last one. I hope Michael van Gerwen gets it. The kid is just unreal, mind u he needs to keep his head at times. wHAT DO YE THINK LADS?

All de best and a happy darting new year!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Depends who wins the BDO

If Adams or Hankey wins defo no.......cant see either of them switching codes.

If Fitton, Webster or Whitlock then maybe one of them.

Now sure bout the others even if they won it outright..........as they mightn't have that much selling power.

Reckon Anderson would hold his own. And Mardle would be the obvious choice from the PDC Others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Surely Part would have to get it after winning the PDC World Championship or is he in it already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

who are the 7 thru already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Phil Taylor
    Raymond van Barneveld
    James Wade
    Terry Jenkins
    Peter Manley
    Adrian Lewis
    John Part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭dubdarts

webster wont change over - he loves playing for wales too much

fitton keeps going on about ranking points in the bdo for 2008 so cant see him moving

listening to whitlocks wife talking i cant see him getting it as he would have to play 14 weeks running and that is out of the question as they live in aussie land and have young kids

thornton loves the bdo and has said if the masters is on the same tiome as the gsod next year he will defend the masters trophy so cant see him moving

anderson i cant see doing it for private reasons

so ill stick my neck out and say mardle or painter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

id like to see painter in it..i reckon he'd get more points than mardel.
    havin said that mardel is better to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

I hope its not Mardle or Painter, not consistent enough over that many weeks especially Mardle.

I still think it will be Gary Anderson as he was very cagey about it in his interview yesterday, but if not Van der Voort or King would be better prospects for the Premier League (imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

what about scholten or was he relegated last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

When Anderson was asked about switching he said somethin like, Whatever happens ill always remember that the BDO is where i learned my darts.

Translation, Im off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Well i am not one for reading into things but paddy power has him forth fav to win next years pdc world champ, and the bookies are seldom wrong, plus him losing in the first round, i though if any bdo player reaches there final there automatically contracted to them for a futher two years,

PDC World Championships 2009 Outright Betting
    Non runner, no bet. Others on Request .

Phil Taylor 3 - 1

Raymond van Barneveld 4 - 1

James Wade 9 - 2

Gary Anderson 10 - 1

Adrian Lewis 16 - 1 :eek: (worth a punt)

John Part 20 - 1 :eek: (also worth a punt)

Terry Jenkins 25 - 1

Michael van Gerwen 25 - 1

Andy Hamilton 40 - 1

Mervyn King 40 - 1

Kevin Painter 40 - 1

Kevin McDine 40 - 1

If its not anderson then i have to go for mardle, Sky are great at building up matches and with mardle that should be no prob after his match against taylor, "Taylors revenge and crap like that". Sure if two ants were fighting in the car park sky could build it up as a world changing moment that we would have to see,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DublinDutch

I hope another Dutchie in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

I think van gerwen be great to put into even just for the class the boy has, he's only still learning but his quality is there, painter would be good pick cause he gives it all..

I think van gerwen be great to put into even just for the class the boy has, he's only still learning but his quality is there, painter would be good pick cause he gives it all..

While I agree with you that Van Gerwen should be able to hold his own in the premier league, after the year he has had on the circuit aswell as the tv tournaments he doesn't deserve to be there.

Have just been speaking to Gary Andersons manager and he tells that Gary will not be joining the PDC this year therefore wont be in the Premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

dubdarts wrote: »
    Have just been speaking to Gary Andersons manager and he tells that Gary will not be joining the PDC this year therefore wont be in the Premier league.

Are you referring to Davie Hanson? He said that months back too but there seems to have been a change in position here in the last while, especially when you consider the quotes attributed to Anderson at Lakeside and his tight enough odds for winning the Premier League or next year's PDC World Championship.
    Those quotes from Anderson sound all to familiar to Barney and King's comments prior to their switch.

Then no one of the BDO is coming . Anderson is the only person who can handle the PDC level.

I was talking to him last night.The bookies have odds on different players every year.Dont let that fool you.They will be in Thailand on one of the PL nights

Its a pity that he wont be joining. He is a class player and would do well on PDC circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

WAYNE MARDLE has been confirmed as the Sky Sports Wildcard for the 2008 Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts - and he will open this year's event against Raymond van Barneveld in Glasgow on 31 January.

Mardle competed in the first two years of the Premier League before missing out on selection for the three-month extravaganza in 2007.

He enjoyed a good year on the PDC circuit, picking up two Players Championship titles and reaching the semi-finals at the recent Ladbrokes.com PDC World Darts Championship - knocking out Phil Taylor along the way MORE

@ least a bit of show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That is about all.

Yep it'll be entertaining to watch him get hammered week in week out in the premier league.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think thats a bit harsh NeoRox. I know he was pretty bad the last two times he was in it but he is a top player and is well capable of mixing it with the best. i would have prefered Anderson in it but Mardle is a quality player and should add to the competition.

anderson was offered the wild card and turned it down

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

dubdarts wrote: »
    anderson was offered the wild card and turned it down

No chance of him moving over to the PDC then? I can understand his loyalty to the BDO but to make it as a player money wise you have to play in the PDC.

didnt say he wouldnt move - just said he turned down the wildcard

anderson has commitments - exhibitions and tourneys up until june - after that his calenders free.

i think that a lot of the players are waiting to see how the wdf and idl go....ie..if they are still going ahead before they decide on moving or not

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I think thats a bit harsh NeoRox. I know he was pretty bad the last two times he was in it but he is a top player and is well capable of mixing it with the best. i would have prefered Anderson in it but Mardle is a quality player and should add to the competition.

I don't think its too harsh, hes in the PDC long enough now to have established himself better than he has. Darts is a mental game as well as a skill game and if he had prepared himself better for tournaments instead of acting the twit he would be a lot better off title and money wise. While he is a good player and gets on well with the crowd that doesn't win him anything.

He wasn't just pretty bad in the first two PL he was woeful and the stats show it. The only reason that he got in this time is as another poster said to put bums on seats. I'd like to see him perform well in this one but just can't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nole

Mardle was in the first two premier leagues on merit as he was a top ranked player. Granted he didnt do himself justice, but this year above any ( beating a slightly off taylor, which is still a brilliant achievment) he has proved himself.

Have a look at the players championship order of merit, which includes the floor tournaments ( not on tv)- he is fourth.

http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/OrderofMerit/0,,10180~969173,00.html

In the official order of merit there is only Andy hamilton keeping him out of the top eight.

http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/OrderofMerit/0,,10180,00.html

If it wasnt for his woeful form last year and losing a couple of the big tv tournies early doors he would be well in the top six with jenkins and the likes.

He is not only the form player but a damn good entertainer and fully merits a place in the premier league.

i for one will be cheering on wayne as without him the pdc could be a very boring place

• Advertisement
Advertisement