Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been on the Moy Yet

Options
  • 09-01-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi Anyone been on the Moy yet...

Just wanted to Know what the river is like for Jan

Was on the Moy at Foxford about 20 times last year and only got one :mad:

Hopefully a better year

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

As far as I know the Moy season doesn't start until 1st Feb & runs to the end of September.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Mmmmmmmmm thought I read that it was open....

Looks like 1st Feb on the site

Thanks Andip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Garyh - how did you go about getting access to the moy at foxford. buy the rod lic and get day tickets or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

garyh3 - Do you fish the Boyne at Navan?

dodgyme - There's some info on the north west regional fisheries website, have a read there for a general overview, also look at the angling reports and read the archives, it'll give you an indication of what areas fish well at certain times of the year (excluding last year which messed everything up:mad:)
    If you reckon you've got a general idea and are heading down then call into the Tiernan brothers shop in Foxford and ask for advice, they'll be able to supply day tickets for around the Foxford / Swinford area's (Armstrongs, Byrne's, Rinanney, North Mayo) at reasonable prices (Avg €30/day)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I wouldn't bother with the Moy until after Paddy's day.
    Look at the Drowes, it has an early spring salmon run.

• Advertisement

Hi To answer a few question...

There is NO salmon fishing on the Boyne yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I have to drive over to the west.

I just bought a Salmon rod (annual) District Licence online 65 euros for the Moy
    On the Moy at Foxford I just pay my money to Brian who is always there (day ticket) I found the season ticket toooooo expesive.
    It a little bit hard to find the Foxford pitch its up a small road. Never had a problem with Brian getting a day ticket. You can get your licence + bait at the shop which is in the middle of the village.(funny they put the worms right next to the milk and butter in the fridge)

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Garyh3

The Boyne is catch and release for the 2008 season so there is fishing. There's also plenty of trout fishing to be had.

Beside that I was just asking if you were a member of the Navan Anglers for interest's sake. It's not that long ago since fishing was allowed anyway. Hopefully it'll be back soon,

Hi Octopus

Didnt know that my Bro inlaw said that there was no salmon fishing again this year. Im not in the Navan club but was offered to join..

As for the Trout usually on to Lough sheelin for the Pike and trout in the summer. Ive kinda got hooked on salmon fishing at the mo though...

Catch and eat rather than catch and release...:D (except pike and I only take 1 or 2 fish that I catch)

Also just moved to Navan in 2004 from the US.

Garyh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You shouldnt be taking ANY pike!!!!!

Like I said I dont kill or Keep pike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

ah apologies man i misread your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Being a resident of Naaaaavaaaaan too ive done some coarse fishing just up from the old bridge above the wier with mixed results but somtimes you can see the salmon leaping from the slow water. havnt fished it for salmon, ill wait til thier issuing day tickets again and give it a bash:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

garyh3 wrote: »
    Hi To answer a few question...

There is NO salmon fishing on the Boyne yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I have to drive over to the west.

I just bought a Salmon rod (annual) District Licence online 65 euros for the Moy
    On the Moy at Foxford I just pay my money to Brian who is always there (day ticket) I found the season ticket toooooo expesive.
    It a little bit hard to find the Foxford pitch its up a small road. Never had a problem with Brian getting a day ticket. You can get your licence + bait at the shop which is in the middle of the village.(funny they put the worms right next to the milk and butter in the fridge)

Garyh3
    whats the difference between the day ticket and the season ticket as in cost?

I think its 450 for foxford

There is a PDF with the costs on the site

http://www.northwestfisheries.ie/pdf/Moy%20Tariff%202007.pdf

regards

Garyh3

Advertisement