Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin bus price increase

• 09-01-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Today Dublin bus increased its prices yet again.... It seems they increase it every year! Considering the buses aren't frequent and there are some rude drivers is this new fare fair? Are we competing with London/New York?

Is this new fare fair? 100 votes

Yes, we need more money for buses.
    0%
    No, it's not worth it. Spending too much as it is
    34%
    tHE vAGGABONDSimonMaherWashoutwilliambirishdxradiocdebruCorruptedmoralsshltterpatrickoleemikemacHotblack DesiatoAuversAlvisRob_ljohnpAquavidXylophonicCharliemickoneill30Lux23 34 votes
    Couldn't care less
    56%
    sickleStarkNeMiSiSWashoutNevynWossacksnickerpussprojectmayhemaphex™zoroskywalkerFlashrazieldoonothingMoojuicemp3guystakeyCiaran500Jonny Arsonchopperbyrnepaulm17781 56 votes
    Don't use the bus
    10%
    azezilMossy MonkMountjoy MuggerWashoutWossackscaryhewlettArmaniJeanssKazobelPolar101 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Bus Eireann across the board, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

inflation also happens every year and they have to cover wage and cost increases. What is the percentage increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Couldn't care less
    how much?

I normally pay 1.60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So now I can pay €2 and take the standard bus which takes the most congested route possible or I can pay €2 and take the express which goes down the dual carraigeway and takes 20 minutes less.

Tough choice...

I always take the express if it comes, but I used to take the standard if I was late or had been left standing at the stop for ages. Not any more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Couldn't care less
    5%

I now have to pay €2.45 now on the train :mad: It was only €2.25 a year ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes I saw a notice about the stages and the price increases for each but only briefly and I don't know which stage I am. I pay €1.90 and I'm pretty sure it's the stage before 'Outer Suburban 1'. Oh well, back at college so will just buy student 7-day tickets..

Aha.
    Adult Fares
    Stages 1-3 €1.05
    Stages 4-7 €1.50
    Stages 8-13 €1.70
    Over 14 Stages €2.00
    Outer Suburban 1 €2.00
    Outer Suburban 2 €3.30
    Outer Suburban 3 €4.30

So they're all up by 10cent basically. Fair enough really.

eamoss wrote: »
    5%

I now have to pay €2.45 now on the train :mad: It was only €2.25 a year ago!

My einstein-like brain suspects that an increase from €2.25 to €2.45 is more than a 5% increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

my train ticket is gone up from 2euro to 2.10euro.

grrr on those thieving bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Couldn't care less
    Aha.
    Adult Fares
    Stages 1-3 €1.05
    Stages 4-7 €1.50
    Stages 8-13 €1.70
    Over 14 Stages €2.00

So they're all up by 10cent basically. Fair enough really.

€1.00 to €1.05 5% increase
    €1.40 to €1.50 7.1% increase
    €1.60 to €1.70 6.25% increase
    €1.90 to € 2 5.2%

or 5.88% on most frequently used fares.... well above infalation and these are on top of increases last year that were also well above inflation.

or 5.88% on most frequently used fares.... well above infalation and these are on top of increases last year that were also well above inflation.

but not well above fuel price inflation, which is one of their major costs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Couldn't care less
    My einstein-like brain suspects that an increase from €2.25 to €2.45 is more than a 5% increase

It went from €2.25 then €2.35 and now €2.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Couldn't care less
    but not well above fuel price inflation, which is one of their major costs

Granted but they recieve a subsidy to run the service also, you can hardly expect people to use public transport if you make it more and more expensive, not without a huge improvement in service to match at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Commuting & Transport forum tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

€1.90 to € 2 5.2%

I dont think CPI is what a bus company worries about. Oil went from about $66 per barrell to $100 as of the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

€1.90 to € 2 5.2%

Hmm Outer Suburban 1 is Maynooth on my route..their fare is €2.20 and it's there as €2?? I don't get it.. Also 3.30 stayed the same.

eamoss wrote: »
    It went from €2.25 then €2.35 and now €2.45

ahhh okay

Granted but they recieve a subsidy to run the service also, you can hardly expect people to use public transport if you make it more and more expensive, not without a huge improvement in service to match at least.

It definitely needs to be improved, you are right there.

Must admit that i was really impressed with all those new busses that bus eireann has just got when i was on one recently.

Also the new trains that are being put into service will transform Ireland from having the oldest train fleet to the most modern train fleet in Europe.

I know there is a huge amount more to do, but its good to see some of these positive changes finally happening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sizzler wrote: »
    Commuting & Transport forum tbh.

Agree.

I get the annual tax saver bus and rail tickets. works out very well. If you use the bus and/or train regularly invest in one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Couldn't care less
    When do these new fares start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Couldn't care less
    i didn't mind the increase last time because i noticed an improvement on my services... but of late the service hasn't improved. in fact, in late evenings going to the city center you could be waiting 30-40mins for a bus, regardless of what the timetable says (one every 10mins or so) and the drivers have gotten worse. that's not a racist statement... they're worse because there's a few extra scumbags there. i've seen a number of drivers without uniforms, wearing caps and i KNOW they're thinking about modding the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

i didn't mind the increase last time because i noticed an improvement on my services... but of late the service hasn't improved. in fact, in late evenings going to the city center you could be waiting 30-40mins for a bus, regardless of what the timetable says (one every 10mins or so) and the drivers have gotten worse. that's not a racist statement... they're worse because there's a few extra scumbags there. i've seen a number of drivers without uniforms, wearing caps and i KNOW they're thinking about modding the bus.

:D

I don't mind the extra 10c. Between inflation and the rising fuel costs it's not that large an increase. Also the new buses and trains don't come for free.
    And as mentioned by someone above, if you use it regularly one of those taxsavers will save you a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Don't use the bus
    \o/ for multiple choice polls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

the last time oil went to records highs there was a bus fare increase
    oil prices subsequently came down but there was no fare decrease

now oil prices have gone back up = another fare increase ??:confused: (edited)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

the last time oil went to €100 a barrel there was a bus fare increase
    oil prices subsequently came down but there was no fare decrease

now oil prices have gone back up = another fare increase ??

AFAIK it never went to $100 a barrell before????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hmm Outer Suburban 1 is Maynooth on my route..their fare is €2.20 and it's there as €2?? I don't get it.. Also 3.30 stayed the same.

Tesco is the end of outer 1, Buckleys/Bradys stops are outer 2. Back in my totally skint days I used to go to Tesco...

As it stands a Travel90 ticket is cheaper than a Maynooth bus fare, and they work even when the price has gone up - stock up now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Its not just Ireland that you experience price increases. As if on cue the prices of all utilities, public transport, food and other things went up at the stroke of midnight 2008.
    i didn't mind the increase last time because i noticed an improvement on my services...
    If only that was the case! Its all about MAXIMIZING profits for the least possible service they can provide. Hell they don't even train people in customer service because most of them are rude and ignorant pricks.

The other day I was traveling on a Connex train in the Eastern subs of Melbourne and encountered three burly guys dressed in 'civvies' who were employed to check tickets. I had a valid ticket but did not have my concession card on me at the time. They then proceeded to abuse and humiliate me in front of other passengers

I WILL be taking legal action against these revenue collecting thugs who are outsourced by the public transport company in order to achieve certain figures.

How different are they to private companies such as Blackwater being commissioned by the US Government/Military to do their dirty work in Iraq? These companies are making record profits and should be held accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

inflation also happens every year and they have to cover wage and cost increases. What is the percentage increase?
    Do bus drivers get a pay raise every year? No. It's for the fat cats on top yearly bonus they get for being brilliant at sitting on their fat backsides lighting cigars with your money. Not my money though I drive a car. :p:D And live in the country where buses dare not tread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

my mistake prendy!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Don't use the bus
    It's only 10 cent to be honest, how many time have you gotten that in a change ticket from them and not bothered your arse to cash it? just buy a bus pass :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

€1 -> €1.05

Damnit. €1 was such a handy fare.. now I have to start saving up the 5c coins. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Couldn't care less
    Kazobel wrote: »
    It's only 10 cent to be honest, how many time have you gotten that in a change ticket from them and not bothered your arse to cash it? just buy a bus pass :rolleyes:

10 cents all add up if you're a daily commuter. I keep my change tickets, in order to stop these ***** taking more of my money than they have to. Bus passes only work out if you get the bus almost twice a day for 6 days a week.

Tbh the increase is a load of crap, especially with the complete joke of a service that the 67a is. I've waited for over an hour before, with not one, but TWO buses just plain not showing up. I've seen drivers recklessly drive into the terminal in maynooth, almost forget to drop off passengers, and feck off oblivious to the fact they're late and then just "skip" their next shift.

<edit>

And of course there's nothing you can do since they've a monopoly. If only morton's would start a maynooth service.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

mp3guy wrote: »
    10 cents all add up if you're a daily commuter. I keep my change tickets, in order to stop these ***** taking more of my money than they have to. Bus passes only work out if you get the bus almost twice a day for 6 days a week.

Tbh the increase is a load of crap, especially with the complete joke of a service that the 67a is. I've waited for over an hour before, with not one, but TWO buses just plain not showing up. I've seen drivers recklessly drive into the terminal in maynooth, almost forget to drop off passengers, and feck off oblivious to the fact they're late and then just "skip" their next shift.

<edit>

And of course there's nothing you can do since they've a monopoly. If only morton's would start a maynooth service.

Even with the tax saving thingy? (assuming you're a commuter)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

The increases here aren't too bad. The last year I was in London the bus increased from £1 to £1.50, even if you're only going one stop!

ScumLord wrote: »
    Do bus drivers get a pay raise every year? No.

ah, yes they do

[that partnership for peace and prosperity thing included pay increases for bus drivers]

Also, what's with the 'fat cat bosses' thing? I don't know how much managers in CIE get paid, but just because they get paid more than bus drivers doesn't necessarily make them 'fat cats'. Cop on a bit.

Couldn't care less
    johnp wrote: »
    Even with the tax saving thingy? (assuming you're a commuter)

Student commuter, poorest of all :p

• Advertisement

Someone asked when it comes in, it came in today (in Galway anyway). I usually pay 1euro35 to get out to by college and when I got on I was told it was an extra 10 cent.

Pssshaw.

i never have change anyway so 2euro is grand enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Don't use the bus
    edited to reflect the change of board. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mp3guy wrote: »

<edit>

Considering Mortons are BASED in Maynooth!

I've had a 66 try to do the "I'm not running this service" thing on me before. I can see the terminus from my stop, so I phoned the depot.

The bus started moving about a minute later :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Couldn't care less
    School child fare up to 60c, I remember when it used to be about 40c. Although, I suppose I should've stopped paying that fare a year ago when I turned 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Originally Posted by mp3guy View Post

You clearly don't travel outside of peak hours or on weekends!

The Mortons service to Celbridge is frequent duting the morning and evening but what about getting home on a Thursday a 21:30 or on a Saturday or Sunday, I think I'd rather stick with Dublin Bus and use a prepaid ticket.

Anyway if you live in Maynooth or Celbridge a Travel90 handy-pack (for 1.70 for 90mins) or a 1 day rambler from a handy-pack (3 euro something each for a days travel, two trips at 2 euro with a saving! and the ability to switch buses), these would be a better option.

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Dublin Bus recieved an extra 100 buses last year 70 of which have gone into service the other 30 are waiting on the Dept of Transport to grant a license so they can operate. This involved employing an extra 300 drivers to operate these buses.

That coupled with the rise in oil and paying the National wage Agreement and the introduction of the 48 hour maximum working week which Dublin Bus reckons will require an additional 300 staff to cover the work formerly done as overtime meant that Dublin Bus requested an additional €8 million euro from the Government to maintain current service levels
    The Government gave them €1.5 million and at the last minute a 5% fare increase which will bring in about €2.5 so that leaves them still €4 million short of what they budgeted as their costs in 2008.

This is not to pay fat cats this is not even to stand still this is because of Government cutbacks the Government is not paying it and have decided that you the travelling public can pay for it and who knows where the rest will come from.

Couldn't care less
    shltter wrote: »
    Dublin Bus recieved an extra 100 buses last year 70 of which have gone into service the other 30 are waiting on the Dept of Transport to grant a license so they can operate. This involved employing an extra 300 drivers to operate these buses.

That coupled with the rise in oil and paying the National wage Agreement and the introduction of the 48 hour maximum working week which Dublin Bus reckons will require an additional 300 staff to cover the work formerly done as overtime meant that Dublin Bus requested an additional €8 million euro from the Government to maintain current service levels
    The Government gave them €1.5 million and at the last minute a 5% fare increase which will bring in about €2.5 so that leaves them still €4 million short of what they budgeted as their costs in 2008.

This is not to pay fat cats this is not even to stand still this is because of Government cutbacks the Government is not paying it and have decided that you the travelling public can pay for it and who knows where the rest will come from.

That's all well and good, I wouldn't mind paying the extra money if the service was consistent. But it's badly organised and me and many other people are left too long waiting in the rain for buses to happily hand over a higher fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Couldn't care less

How much extra revenue will the 100 new buses bring in?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Couldn't care less
    Had to walk home 3+ miles in the p!ssing rain because no bus came today, took about 90+ minutes to get home and for the craic I walked the bus route to see how many buses would pass me, and only one 16 passed me by... Was also waiting at a bus stop for around 50 mins and only one 16 passed, totally full, dont think I've seen them that full before, so good to see this fare increase is contributing to "Quality of Service" :rolleyes:, wasnt waiting too late at all either (Even in the past rush hour bus service wasnt this bad), I got to the bus stop at about 4:20 time so I would not accept traffic as an excuse :rolleyes:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

There are just nine remaining now following the introduction of the 4A and the 128. 30 Is an outdated figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

There are just nine remaining now following the introduction of the 4A and the 128. 30 Is an outdated figure.

The point is irrelevant if it is 91 or 70 they are being driven around the city and they are using fuel

My understanding is that there are 30 buses but the point remains the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Couldn't care less
    The point is irrelevant if it is 91 or 70 they are being driven around the city and they are using fuel

My understanding is that there are 30 buses but the point remains the same

How much revenue would you expect the extra services to generate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Couldn't care less
    The buses could be converted into mobile advertising units on the condition that it's very cheap or free to use.
    For example; Coke sponsoring a bus thats shaped like a coke can or in the shape of a coke bottle! How fun it would be to see these novelty vehicles on our roads

• Advertisement
Advertisement