Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E30 - 320 or 325???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

it was really the sports model i was looking for, what is the difference in BHP, do you know?

Zilch. Just the bodykit and the bits and bobs Ferris mentioned are different. Ferris gave excellent advice, you'd do well to follow it.

It's only the 318 where there is a power upgrade for going for the iS model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

Do all E30 3 series`s hav a limo as standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CoffeeAndTV

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I'm an ex E30 driver, from memory...

Roundy, an '87 M10 would be a 318 rather than a 318i - carburettor vs injection? The M10 block was the basis of the BMW F1 1200bhp turbo engine and also the 2.4 E30 M3 etc. Chain driven camshaft.

320i vs 325i? 325i had rear disc brakes and shed loads of jewelery. All E30 6cyls had the overhead panel with bulb failure warning etc... (!)

My recall was that the 320i had 130 bhp and the 325i had 170. Both had to be spun up to get into the fun zone, both were guzzlers as well... damn smooth though.

The "iS" designation was used to identify 4 valve per cylinder engined variants, The E30 318iS was never marketed in Ireland... if you see one its an import. It was a lovely revvy motor, went well but was thirsty when used.

"SE" is a luxury trim designation

The last of the E30 325i's came with the "Sport" package - spoilers etc.

The M3 was a completely different car, bodyshell, suspension, powertrain, etc.

As with all E30's, snappy rear ends was the limiter, magic car though, definitely a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I always thought all petrol E30s were fuel injected bar the 316 with the M10 engine?

From what I remember it was the E21 that had a carburetted 318.

Why did BMW never import the 318iS here? Was there no ridiculous tax on engine sizes back then, or were the penalties for bigger engines just so small that it made no difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

E92,

You're right, the E30 316 was a 1.8 carb M10.

Can't speak for the rest.

Long time ago...

PS E30 318iS was never marketed here, later Coupe versions were...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I think E92 is correct on that minor point. You may be thinking of the '21 alright. Mine is injected and M10, a true BMW nerd brags about the F1 connection in the pub (yep, I have been that sad!).

Aside from that, agree fully with your post, with the addition that the iS's were generally of a higher spec too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

No.

Which bimmers come with a LSD as standard then eh??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In the E30?
    The M3, 320iS, 325iS and IIRC the 325ix. On other models AFAIK it was optional, e.g. the 318iS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Just found this in case you lads are interested, bog standard but straight.

car.jpg

Sadly deceased :( I ****ing loved that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ummm they are nice...

Advertisement