Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive PS2 FPS?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I own a ps2, xbox and pc and am very fond of FPS's.
    But all the ones I play are on the xbox or pc.

I love playing COD on my pc but am told the ps2 versions are pants.
    I heard Killzone is very good but I decided to inquire before I bought one.

So what is the best shooter on ps2 at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Despite what some people might say, Killzone is pretty good and you'll definitely get a few days enjoyment out of it. Another one in a similar vain worth looking into is Project Snowblind.

I think Black and Battlefield 2 are two of the best on the console though. All of these games should be available for next to nothing too: probably in the bargain PS2 section in Game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Wasn't really a fan of killzone, just found it very dull and boring.

Have a look at Timesplitters 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Timesplitters future perfect is a great multiplayer game and black is great single player. Killzone is actually quite enjoyable and you can pick it up for pennies nowadays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I enjoyed Killzone, but Black never really took a hold of me. Must give it another go I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Black by a mile. Great game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Black took me all of 4 hours to beat and didn't do anything for me. Killzone is fairly average especially if you have played any decent PC FPS games. Can't really think of anything else I could recommend. Urban Chaos is rather good since it never pretends to be anything but a ridiculous and really fun game with no pretentions of beating the PC FPS's at their own game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

In Metal Gear Solid you can go into first person and shoot things...

FPS were never the PS2's forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well keeping in mind that two of the FPS I adore are Halo and COD: UO. Games with fantastic playability above all else that you can just turn on and play and have a great time without having to faff around too much with plot or story or cut scenes or any of that other bull**** that distracts you from action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Timesplitters 1, 2 and Futyre Perfect are all very enjoyable games. Give them a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The weirdest thing about Timesplitters 2 is trying to play it after "growing up" with Halo controls.

Oh, try Ratchet & Clank 3 in FPS mode -- mad fun, and better guns than you'll see in every FPS game combined! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The weirdest thing about Timesplitters 2 is trying to play it after "growing up" with Halo controls.

Gah! Young'uns. Was playing Goldeneye and Quake 2 on the PS1 so am used to both control schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Growing up on Halo controls? Did you never play Goldeneye?!?!

Edit:beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I actually played a fair bit of Goldeneye, but didn't own an N64.

Plus, my first shooters were on PC -- TIE Fighter counts, right? :D (2-button joystick + full keyboard layout LOL!)

Otacon wrote: »
    Timesplitters 1, 2 and Futyre Perfect are all very enjoyable games. Give them a look.

I never really liked Timesplitters. Can't really explained why but it just wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Timesplitters 2 and 3 and Black are worth their weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

black brill, the best ps2 has got provided its only single player your after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Black is and easy choice, an amazing game, even by todays standards, and a less popular choice is Warhammer: Firewarrior, that was a class game, very atmospheric, tough but, well, tough.

But by far the best FPS on it was ColdWinter, this game shared the slower pace of Goldeneye with a brilliant single player campaign, and a filthy tongue in it's head!
    It had Nathaniel Parker and Tom Baker providing the voice talent and kept me playing for many nights til early.
    It was cruelly overlooked by pretty much everyone and if you can find a copy prepare to bring your chequebook as it may set you back anything from 5 to 15 euro!!!!!
    Buy it please, its the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Black is great, but would be better experienced on your Xbox. Timesplitters: Future Perfect is fun especially cooperatively in multiplayer... the humour in it is pretty decent... which was surprising... and appreciated. It's full of likable characters. Also has some good mini challenges including cat racing!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gah! Young'uns. Was playing Goldeneye and Quake 2 on the PS1 so am used to both control schemes.

Lol. Quake 2 on the PSone... "they thought it couldn't be done". IIRC Shoulder buttons were used to 'strafe' and 'look up/down' . :D

... Archaic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Black is and easy choice, an amazing game, even by todays standards, and a less popular choice is Warhammer: Firewarrior, that was a class game, very atmospheric, tough but, well, tough.

But by far the best FPS on it was ColdWinter, this game shared the slower pace of Goldeneye with a brilliant single player campaign, and a filthy tongue in it's head!
    It had Nathaniel Parker and Tom Baker providing the voice talent and kept me playing for many nights til early.
    It was cruelly overlooked by pretty much everyone and if you can find a copy prepare to bring your chequebook as it may set you back anything from 5 to 15 euro!!!!!
    Buy it please, its the business.

bloody copy i have won't go past the opening cutscene

So Black is my best choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i have black on xbox, pretty great game. although i'd imagine the xbox pad is more suited to it

Fnz wrote: »
    Lol. Quake 2 on the PSone... "they thought it couldn't be done". IIRC Shoulder buttons were used to 'strafe' and 'look up/down' . :D

... Archaic!

That was if you were using the non dual shock method. Had a big argument on boards with some idiot who thought the halo control scheme was totally unique despite being used in PS1 FPS games years before, Quake 2 and Alien resurrection being the first two decent examples that spring to mind.

Quake 2 on the PS1 was quite a remarkable achievement technically. It looked gorgeous and despite many of the levels having to be replaced with different ones it still looked and played like Q2. They even managed to almost eliminate the dreaded PS1 texture warping. Multiplayer was also a blast if not quite up to the PC experience and it didn't have The Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

So Black is my best choice?
    Both that and Timesplitters are good - perhaps the best of what the PS2 can offer... but neither is PS2 exclusive. So the "definitive" PS2 FPS is (possibly) nothing that can't be experienced elsewhere. Not sure which console would be best for FPSs - which controller's analogue sticks have smaller dead zones... or are more comfortable to you. Also the Xbox versions should have the graphical edge.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That was if you were using the non dual shock method.

Ah, right. Dual stick control was too alien a concept for me at the time. Still can't channel dexterity into my right thumb to this date. Hence my poor performance in the early Halo 3 tournament hosted by Faceman. :D

I can't say anything against you, I was horrendous in that tournament as well :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sniper by Rebellion is another interesting FPS, a rather more thoughtful game than most of the run and gun fare in the genre.

You could go back a gen and play Alien Resurrection, that game still scares the funk out of me. And, if you can find it, uses the PS mouse, nice!

Advertisement