Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatons denied refund!

Options
  • 09-01-2008 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

was in my local Heatons store yesterday returning a faulty pair of shoes and after checking there was no other pair in stock the sales assistant decided to give me a refund!

so i thought goood but then she asked me to fill in a form with my name address date of birth telephone number and a contact number as well as the reason for seeking the refund!

i thought this was a bit much so refused to sign well the flurry of excitement that followed would make the A-Team look like Scouts i immediately surrounded by security guard and 3 members of staff while i waited for the manager!

i eventually insisted on my right to the refund and signed nothing as there is NO obligation to sign for any refund! even the manager insisted this was only store policy!

staw away from heatons and keep yuour Statutory Rights intact!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

You have to do this in most department stores, Dunnes, Pennys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I had to do that in Lidl. Didnt see any problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A lot of stores ask for this. If you feel uncomfortable with it, you can always put down details other than own.

TBH, you did get your refund, so they didn't deny you it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

Are stores legally entitled to refuse a refund on a faulty item if you don't provide them with all this information? This kinda stuff always annoys me. Like, why do they need to know your date of birth?

Dudara is right, you should just put down a silly made up name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Talk about over-reacting! They have good reason for doing this, namely to identify people who persistantly return items for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I'm not sure they can make you sign if the product is faulty - once you have your receipt.

If it was as a good will gesture and the product wasn't damaged then maybe

Did you have a reciept? Did you get your refund in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

aCA wrote: »
    Like, why do they to know your date of birth?

I seriously doubt the OP was asked to provide his DOB. There is zero reason for needing this information. Anywhere i've gotten a refund they either just requested a signature, or sig and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I dont see what the big deal was :confused: All you had to do was put down a random name and address and you wouldnt be on here ranting about them not giving you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

dudara wrote: »
    A lot of stores ask for this. If you feel uncomfortable with it, you can always put down details other than own.

Yeah Dunnes always go through the same process, giving fake details can be great fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Also Woodies, Tesco and Argos, to name but three.

I always assume that the reason is, that if they examine the goods more closely later, and decide you've damaged the goods, they'll send you a bill. Of course, this could be my paranoia working overtime.

It's probably more of an internal audit procedure, to prove that the person on the till didn't steal the cash and pretend that they gave someone a refund.

If you do give the wrong details, you could cost someone on the till their job. If the management do a spot-check and find the name/address bogus, they could assume that the member of staff is pulling a fast one. So, while you think it's a great hoot, that sacked employee could be trying to get another job with no references and a possible court appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

eth0_ wrote: »
    I seriously doubt the OP was asked to provide his DOB. There is zero reason for needing this information. Anywhere i've gotten a refund they either just requested a signature, or sig and address.

Afaik stores ask for this info so they can keep track of 'repeat offenders'. Some people make a living (of sorts) from scamming stores through refunds. Yes, you can give false information, but it is a layer of security which may put off some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I can see it now......

fallingeg0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They have no legal right to ask you to fill in the form at all. If the good are faulty, you are entitled to a full refund. Nothing more, nothing less.

It may be store policy, but you're well within your rights not to fill it in, and legally they can't refuse to refund you.

Ahh good old heatons at it again . Same thing happend to my parents and i posted about it here. What annoyed me was my parents were surrounded by security guards also and they are in their 70's . I second it in saying "Stay Away"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

123 Fake Street FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I'd be demanding a refund and at least an apology if they did that with me.

They can ask you to fill out a form but you can refuse it. That's a load of crap. There is no reason to make somebody feel like a criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

some nice replies and most of ye have no idea of your rights as consumers!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Curious. Which rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Having a statutory right is one thing, but you still got your refund, despite causing unnecessary turmoil in a shop. It wasn't as if they were going gouge your eyes out! These systems are in place to protect the consumer as well as the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I tend to think that if you have nothing to hide then what's the problem? Most shops only ask for a general address and signature.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You should have given the details of the CEO of 3 Ireland and thus solve all your problems...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Those details are generally used to cover incongruities in returns. Its actually never going to be used against you.

Seriously though, and not being smart, you were getting your refund, would you not be nice to the shop assistant and just make something up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

SDooM wrote: »
    you were getting your refund, would you not be nice to the shop assistant and just make something up?

Why should you give any details (true or even fake details)? You are well within your rights to refuse.

As the old phrase goes - Just say No. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Easons do that as well, when a refund is put through the till it automatically prints off a refund slip. It asks for name, address, reason for refund etc when i worked there usually we'd just have them sign their name and we'd fill everything else in. Staff can't do refunds only managers or supervisors and they have to sign it as well. Its not just to stop people from scamming refunds [people try and return books with other shops stickers on them, library books etc etc] but also to stop staff from scamming the till. Happened in virgin cinemas when I worked there, staff would sell tickets to friends then refund them but not take the cinema tickets off them. I was a supervisor at Easons and I did hundreds of refunds and exchanges ever week and I never had anyone throw a fit about filling out the refund slip.

I think you'll find pretty every store does that or will be doing that now esp has tills have become more and more sophisticated. Honestly I can't see what the issue is, they don't ask for ID for anything you can put any name/number you want down - its mainly just for their records.

Refuse if you want but make sure if your going to yell at someone you only yell at the manager - staff have no control over this, they are told to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I thought you had to fill a form out if you are returning a non-faulty item. I wouldn't want people knowing my personal information, even if it was only a name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Dman001 wrote: »
    I thought you had to fill a form out if you are returning a non-faulty item. I wouldn't want people knowing my personal information, even if it was only a name and address.

Alot of the refund slips are automatically printed by the till [alot of shops use the same till software] and they all contain the same info name address phone no reason for refund etc etc I know alot of shops aren't that picky about filling them in.

Like I mentioned earlier when I worked retail we'd normally just get people to sign them and we'd fill in the refund details, wouldn't look for an address or a phone number - some people filled everything in cus I'd just hand it to them and say "can you please sign that" and I'd be getting the refund out of the till or putting it back on the credit card and they'd fill everything in while I wasn't looking.

I can't speak for other shops but the slips were kept in the tills untill it was cashed up and the number of slips were compared to the end of day till read to make sure the number matches. The slips are then kept in the cash office for a set time then shredded.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Paulw wrote: »
    Why should you give any details (true or even fake details)? You are well within your rights to refuse.

As the old phrase goes - Just say No. :)

As I said- to be nice to the sales assistant. Will you get what you want? Eventually. Will you be striking any blows for consumers out there? Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Exactly ztoical, I work in Dunnes..not in customer service, but I know the till automatically prints the refund slip out, the reason is printed automatically as 'unsatisfactory', obviously there's a faulty option somewhere, but you just write your name and address. Big deal. As said, the slips are matched against the till read. Why do people think members of staff memorise names and addresses off them? How exactly could it benefit them? It's not as if you write your credit card pin down on the slip. People are just too paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

we all have lots of rights but sometimes, such as this time, its not appropriate to exercise them. they asked for your name and address as many, many shops do when giving refunds. they did not tie you down and shine a light in your eyes. all you had to do was put in fake details and the whole fuss would have been unnecessary.

also, at no point did they deny you a refund. i suggest you change the title of the thread since its a lie

and if you don't like the policy, then don't shop in dunnes, argos, tesco, burtons, maplin, carphone warehouse, 3G, O2, vodafone, eason, etc, etc. in fact, you should probably never buy anything again since its most likely a policy of every store in the country
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you do give the wrong details, you could cost someone on the till their job. If the management do a spot-check and find the name/address bogus, they could assume that the member of staff is pulling a fast one. So, while you think it's a great hoot, that sacked employee could be trying to get another job with no references and a possible court appearance.

any store that sacked someone for that would find themselves in court very quickly for unfair dismisal since it is not only possible but extremely likely that the customer did it himself. now if the hand writing was the same on all of them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The reason for requesting this information is to cut down on fraud. There have been cases in the past where store managers, no necessarily Heaton’s, have defrauded their companies of thousands of pounds / Euros / Dollars by processing fake refunds.

Many years ago I worked in Currys in Northern Ireland. After a store manager in the UK stole around £100 000 by processing fake refunds over an extended period of time, they started requesting details from the refundee which could, if there was a requirement, be check to confirm that the refund was a real one.

So no, you probably are not required to give this information to exercise you statutory right to a refund, but I think the OP’s response was just a tad OTT and IMHO quite unreasonable.

Chris

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement