Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatons denied refund!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Boggles wrote: »

i know o2's returns policy. they swap out your phone for a refurbished handset. that policy is in addition to your consumer rights and they're the only phone retailer to operate that policy. with the others, it has to be sent away for repair three times and then a replacement is given

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

i know o2's returns policy. they swap out your phone for a refurbished handset. that policy is in addition to your consumer rights and they're the only phone retailer to operate that policy. with the others, it has to be sent away for repair three times and then a replacement is given

So you feel if you spend 1800 on an item, that is DOA, the company are entitled to send it away for a month to get it repaired, therefore that product becomes refurbished.

NCA see it differently. Thank God.

Bringing to court takes 15 days and 9 euro - If it is the route I have to go to get a refund, other then what is essentially a refurbished product. Then here is a tenner keep the change. So in a round about way, you will get the refund, and in some instances from my experience going the court way would be faster.

well that's not really the point. you said you're always automatically entitled to a refund. if you have to go to court and plead your case to a judge and have him decide, then you're not always entitled to it are you? and i'm sure that a lot of unreasonable people get refused at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

is this thread still going? Dear good just draw a doodle on the damn refund slip and be done with it.

So you feel if you spend 1800 on an item, that is DOA, the company are entitled to send it away for a month to get it repaired, therefore that product becomes refurbished.

NCA see it differently. Thank God.

no i didn't say that. In fact i said the opposite several times. I suppose i'll repeat it. As a general rule, retailers will exchange a product that is found to be faulty within a short time of buying it, usually 28 days. But its a policy and not a legal requirement.

if they refused a refund and you were to take them to court you'd most likely win but you'd win because the shop are being unreasonable, not because they clear cut broke the law. To say that someone is always entitled to a refund is incorrect. What they're entitled to is a judge to hear their case. Consumer law isn't black and white. There are lots of grey areas which is why the small claims court is necessary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have worked for O2 retail and can confirm this.

also O2 maintains the old proceedure as a fallback.

Even when the replacement is given, that tends to be a refurb, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Have you any links to this?

I don't, because as I said it was during a phone conversation with Citizens Advice (1890 777 121).

There was a situation in work where a customer had purchased a product and it had become faulty two months later. She would not budge and was demanding a replacement. I rang Citizens Advice with the scenario where my company offered a replacement policy within 28 days, after which time the item would be sent for repair to be returned within a time frame of no more than 10 working days. The customer would not accept this. What I was told by Citizens Advice, and I rang under the guise of being the actual customer, was that your basic rights only entitled you to a refund in the first 14 days, and that my company was actually going above what they were required to give. They advised me (again, believing that I was the customer) to get in writing the length of time the repair would take and to hold them to that. If it was not back within that timeframe, I was entitled to demand a replacement or refund.

I also brought up the issue of if a repair was completed, what if the fault re-occured. He said there was nothing time-wise set in law, just 'a reasonable time frame'. Using an example not related to the query, he said that a repair on a TV that only lasted for a month would not be reasonable but if it was 6 months later, it would be reasonable for the shop to repair again and not replace.

Consumer law seems to be very vague however, but these policies that stores have in place, do people really think they are going against the law? Regarding the actual OP's original complaint, to be honest, all I every see is foggy_lad complaining about something, but he was well within his rights not to want to sign. Whether or not he made a scene is irrelevant and is more a testament to his character rather than the business. I have been working in retail practically my whole working life from shelf packer to management, and I've only had one person refuse to give details. I just wrote 'Customer refused to give details' and left it at that. Hardly a big issue that deserves a 5 page thread!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

With regard to the original issue aboiut filling out the form when you get a refund. I used to work in a high street ladies fashion store and one of my supervisors got fired one day for issuing dodgy refunds. She was refunding something through the till when noone was around and pocketing the money. The till wasn't out and we reckon she made about an extra €300 a week. The way they caught her is by checking the refund receipts. She used similar names and addresses over and over again. In fairness, she wasn't the brightest girl I ever met but I suppose no person who steals from work is very smart. Once they saw the dodgy receipts they checked the CCTV and saw her doing refunds when nobody was around.

It used to me my job to shred those refund receipts after a year, I think. We had to do it every month. They don't use them to follow up on customers, it's more the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ooh jesus what have i started lol i got my refund as i refused to sign anything! the only shops entitled to ask for your name address etc are any shops selling you liscensed goods like tv's or vcr's as they are obliged to forward your details to the licensing authority!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

well that's not really the point. you said you're always automatically entitled to a refund. if you have to go to court and plead your case to a judge and have him decide, then you're not always entitled to it are you? and i'm sure that a lot of unreasonable people get refused at that stage

Consumer Law

The consumer’s right to a refund or a
    repair must be based on his claim that the
    product is not of merchantable quality or
    fit for the intended purpose. The following
    principles are generally adhered to:

n If the fault in the product is a serious
    one, the buyer has the right to
    renounce the purchase and have his
    money refunded. This remedy must be
    availed of as soon as possible.

n If the fault is a serious one, the buyer
    has the right to reject the offer of a
    repair or replacement. The buyer may
    agree to a repair on a provisional basis
    without prejudice to his right to reject
    the good if the repair is not
    satisfactory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You are not automatically entitled to a refund. Period. Stop talking in circles.

Can a mod please close this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

I used to work in retail, and people like you, who would cause a fuss for no good reason used to frustrate the **** out of me. Too stubborn to do what your asked, too stupid to be quick enough to make up false details. We are only doing our job aswell... were not paid enough to deal with **** like that. Muppet!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

random wrote: »
    You are not automatically entitled to a refund. Period. Stop talking in circles.

Can a mod please close this thread?

Agree with this.

Guy got his refund, bully for him, the thread name is still a lie, and mad has it gone off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

A thread that started with an over-reaction has descended into over-reaction. For shame!

/ locked

/ Infraction for Buzz Buzz for abuse towards a poster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement