Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Radiator Heat Output

Options
  • 09-01-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knew how I can calculate the heat output of an already installed radiator in my new place, I dont think its putting out enough heat for the room.

I can find loads of ways to calclulate the required heat output for the room but no way of calculating or guestimating what the heat ouptut of the actual radiator is. I cant see any markings on it etc so I've no idea what make or model it is etc. Any suggestions welcome

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I don't know if its that simple. Factors such as fins and liquid capacity will affect any calculation, so all I can advise is that you look at the B&Q site and find a radiator of a similar surface area and use the value provided in W or BTU to estimate your output.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What size and type is the radiator? And by that I mean is it the standard round type radiator that you see in most house and is it single or double panel and does it have fins?

Post up a picture with dimensions if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

The other variable in the calc is the water temp in the rad: the higher the temp, the smaller the rad for the same heat output.

Check that the lock shield valve is not shut too much:
    Is the water temp on the return much cooler than the feed?

Post a pic, plus dimensions as suggested, showing the rad from the top so we can see the fins etc if any behind: include the valve as well as if the valve is fitted wrong then it will not work properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just find out what manufacturer the radiator comes from and their website should have the output.

Different brand radiators have different outputs ,even if they are identical in size.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As said you should be able to find these details on the radiators company website. As an example my radiators are made by Myson and on there website they have a PDF document download with all the BTU ratings of all there rads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement