Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realtime coding over network

Options
  • 09-01-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post. Mods please feel free to move.

I'm working on a coding project with a mate of mine over in England. I'm new to the coding process being implemented and we're using the project as a learning curve to hone my skills. We were thinking it would be very helpful if he was there as I coded in order to point out errors, correct practices etc... This unfortunately wouldn't be possible as he's in England.

However, is there some sort of program out there that shows your coding to a third party while you do it in realtime? i.e; he can see me type out my code in Editplus while talking to me over skype and vice versa....

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If you trust him, install something like TightVNC server and let him VNC in. If you don't particularly trust him, an editor with realtime remote collaboration like ACE may be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

With Microsoft communicator you can share desktop applications and also talk to each other.
    Also if you are coding in Java intelliJ has a plugin to let you collaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'll leave it here even though you may get a better response over in the Programming forum (I'll move it if you want). I'd recommend ACE as mentioned already or if you trust them enough a VNC server. There's probably plugins for Eclipse that allow this type of collaboration as well (although you may not want to change the editor you're using).

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Great stuff, thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I think VNC will be the way to go. Failing that i'll give ACE a shot.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Gobby is also worth a look and supports syntax highlighting for more than 50 file types (not sure if ACE does syntax highlighting).
    Gobby_1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Oooh, nice one snowbat. That look slike the ticeid alright. I think i might give that one a shot tonight so.

Advertisement