Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggestion of what to import before and after Tax changes take effect

Options
  • 09-01-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I'm curious as to what would be a good car to import before the tax changes come into effect and then what would be good after.

From what I can tell, get the small engine polluter before and the large engine diesel after, but what models?

Specifically I'd like to spend less than 12k euro all in. coupe would be a preference. i do less than 10k miles a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Took in an ST170 recently.
    Current annual tax is €590 , will go up to €1000 if imported after changeover (Band F)

VRT currently at 25%, will go up to 32% (218g/Km)

Will defenitley be more expensive to re-register and tax under new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

quarryman wrote: »
    what would be a good car to import before the tax changes come into effect and then what would be good after

Before: anything fast and petrol from Jap turbo cars (i.e. Subaru Impreza STI) to any large saloon or anything with a large engine, petrol or diesel

After: anything with a modern diesel engine (as long as it is not too big), most cars with (small) modern petrol engines. Any newish BMW

To find out about any particular car, use the methods and the links in the first page of the VRT sticky and use the VRT calculator to do the sums for yourself

Advertisement