Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish shops in galway, where?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

Today I went to Galway Bay Seafoods. They have customer parking in front of the store. They did not have a whole lot of fresh fish. But they said that most of the stock comes on Tuesday and Wednesday. So shopping from there on Wednesday might be a better idea.

They have a large selection in frozen seafood. Pack of prawns (prices €10, €12 -1/2 kg irish prawns, €20- 1 kg pink prawn) depending on type and weight. They have mixed seafood packs with a mixture of calamari, mussels. Also they have packs of frozen scallops.

I personally found the variety/stock of fresh/whole fish larger in "Fishermen" than it is in here. But I bought two standard size Salmon steaks for €4.30 whereas in "Fishermen" each steak of Salmon is €3.85 (same size). The salmon steaks were €9.99/kg and fillets were €14.99/kg. So it is a bit cheaper than "Fisherman".

Most of the other fresh fishes like cod, haddock, coley came in fillets.

Their smoked fish selection looked impressive. I bought a pack of 3 smoked piece of Mackerel fillets for just over €3. I cooked them tonight and were absolutely delicious. Smoked salmon fillets (one foot long) cost around €14.

Someone (probably in this thread) mentioned that they make good fish cake, which I was looking forward to. But today, they were out of that as well. Maybe I'll try them on Wednesday once again to see their full capacity. They said that they sometimes have ray fish but not always.

So for salmon steaks I'll probably go back to them. But the sardines and specially the herrings (full of eggs) from "Fishermen" were absolute treat.

Also, if you know the "Bengal Store" in the Westside shopping centre, where the Aldi store and an An Post branch is located, they also have a large selection of frozen sweet water fish imported from Bangladesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mikebites wrote: »
    Today I went to Galway Bay Seafoods. They have customer parking in front of the store. They did not have a whole lot of fresh fish. But they said that most of the stock comes on Tuesday and Wednesday. So shopping from there on Wednesday might be a better idea.

They have a large selection in frozen seafood. Pack of prawns (prices €10, €12 -1/2 kg irish prawns, €20- 1 kg pink prawn) depending on type and weight. They have mixed seafood packs with a mixture of calamari, mussels. Also they have packs of frozen scallops.

I personally found the variety/stock of fresh/whole fish larger in "Fishermen" than it is in here. But I bought two standard size Salmon steaks for €4.30 whereas in "Fishermen" each steak of Salmon is €3.85 (same size). The salmon steaks were €9.99/kg and fillets were €14.99/kg. So it is a bit cheaper than "Fisherman".

Most of the other fresh fishes like cod, haddock, coley came in fillets.

Their smoked fish selection looked impressive. I bought a pack of 3 smoked piece of Mackerel fillets for just over €3. I cooked them tonight and were absolutely delicious. Smoked salmon fillets (one foot long) cost around €14.

Someone (probably in this thread) mentioned that they make good fish cake, which I was looking forward to. But today, they were out of that as well. Maybe I'll try them on Wednesday once again to see their full capacity. They said that they sometimes have ray fish but not always.

So for salmon steaks I'll probably go back to them. But the sardines and specially the herrings (full of eggs) from "Fishermen" were absolute treat.

Also, if you know the "Bengal Store" in the Westside shopping centre, where the Aldi store and an An Post branch is located, they also have a large selection of frozen sweet water fish imported from Bangladesh.

Galway Bay Sea food in the docks have a "Fresh Fish" Sale next Tuesday and Wednesday (17/18 Nov 2009) 25% off all fresh fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

darn!
    just spotted this....hee hee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

Went there on Tuesday. Tried their fishcake. In my opinion, it's ok but nothing special. Bought a fillet of monkfish (€8.26 after 25% discount), which was very fresh and very tasty. They also had whole hake, sea bass, herrings. In fillet section they had a lot of other fishes like cod, coley, haddock etc.
    Did not find ray fish yet. Any suggestion, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Heard there's a very new one opened in the Eyre Square Centre, same guy who does the fish in the Market (the stall at the back of St Nicholas Cathedral near Market Street car park. There always seems to be a big crowd at that stall. I'm told it's downstairs, near the butchers by the back door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sf13

Where ever you decide to buy, Never take fish from the display section in the front of these shops. These shops will never offer 'fresh fish' but always ask for stock from the back freezer.

Fish is so good for you so I'd never try to turn people off it. But these shops don't buy from local fishermen, they buy cheap fish from abroad and still charge crazy prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eeden wrote: »
    Heard there's a very new one opened in the Eyre Square Centre, same guy who does the fish in the Market (the stall at the back of St Nicholas Cathedral near Market Street car park. There always seems to be a big crowd at that stall. I'm told it's downstairs, near the butchers by the back door.

There is indeed. fyi, it appears that they don't open on Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

carmex21 wrote: »
    +1 for The Fishermen at Tesco. Great selection, beside the veg shop for handy fresh spuds and veg and near Tesco for vino!
    score !

Has the new one opened in the Eyre Square shp cen yet does anyone know?
    I for one will DEFINITELY not be bothering with this place. My mother went in and asked him for 5 fillets of cod with the bones removed. He hands out 5 miserable fillets with all of the bones still in them. I've been to Galway Bay Seafoods before 6/7 times and was always happy with the service & said I'd try this new place. Won't be going again. Pure laziness to not even be bothered to remove the bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 passivehome

Flemings seafood offer a great service. They don't supply fresh fish but good quality frozen fish. Flemings seafood really know their stuff. Both Gay and Freda have always giving me recipes and tips on fish preparation. Small family run business, great quality. And they deliver it to your door! www.flemingseafood.com

Advertisement