Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veggie Sandwich Options.

• 09-01-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if I am the only veggie to notice this but here goes:
    The Apple Green service stations (and also their other service stations which I think all fall under the same banner as a company called Petrogas) have probably the worst range of veggie pre-packed sandwiches I've seen. I've been in the one in Rathcoole and am regularly in their branch in Mountrath, Co. Laois and so far I've seen two options: three cheeses (and it's anyones guess if the cheese is vegetarian) and egg & onion.
    Fair enough, they do have a deli counter where you can get your own sandwich made up. But if you're a veggie and don't want to queue at a busy lunch time, then your options are extremely limited.

Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Same as everywhere really. Either plain cheese or egg & onion. that's all you ever get. I'm afraid you'll have to make your own sandwiches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I find it difficult to make vegetarian sandwiches interesting even in my own kitchen to be honest! The ploughmans ones that you can get into Centra/Spar/Londis are quite nice though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are poor in most places. I prefer to make mine(nut roast in one mmm) or order a great one from the deli.

Prepackaged sandwichs are possibly the most disgusting things on the face of the planet!

And most service stations have very poor levels of hygenie at their sandwich counters. At least from what I have seen.
    There are practically always lumps of chicken in their veg.

They are poor in most places. I prefer to make mine(nut roast in one mmm) or order a great one from the deli.

What makes a good vege sambo then ?

• Advertisement

I find that usage of the word interesting strange.
    I have an asshole housemate, who is constantly critising my tofu as bland. Despite having never tried it.
    He lives off dry chicken fillets and oven chips!

What kind of sandwichs do you find interesting so?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tusky wrote: »

Depends what you like, everybody likes different food. I like odd sandwiches.
    Egg mayo, cheese, corn, stuffing, a few wedges and red sauce is a good one! ;)

You can also use fake meat, the better tasting ones...

Maybe something like a mature cheddar with sliced beetroot and cherry tomatoes with relish or chutney.

Or maybe hummus with tomato, sweetcorn and relish.

Or fried veggie sausages with a fried egg!

Or if I had xmas dinner left over like Tar does, then I'd use that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

What about roast peppers and sun dried tomatoes with some nice cheese and bread,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Deli counters in places like service stations or convenience stores don't always offer the best options (unless you like cheese a lot!) so you have to be a bit creative.
    I like the above post. My favourite at the moment is a panini with sun dried tomato, mozzarella and green pesto.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I find that usage of the word interesting strange.
    I have an asshole housemate, who is constantly critising my tofu as bland. Despite having never tried it.
    He lives off dry chicken fillets and oven chips!

What kind of sandwichs do you find interesting so?

Change the word interesting for tasty then. Some good suggestions there...apart from Tars...!

Some good suggestions there...apart from Tars...!

Yeah Tar's are sh1te. Mine can only be described as spectacular

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm spectacular sandwiches

Change the word interesting for tasty then. Some good suggestions there...apart from Tars...!

You should see some of the looks of disgust I get when ordering my sandwiches and rolls.

Yeah, sometimes i get "do you want chicken with that?" :rolleyes:

I get a lot of 'No meat???' from people...heh.
    Did I ask for meat?

One girl thought I wanted a southern fried chicken special...without the chicken and tried to charge me 4.30 for the roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Ha! poor Tar. I've always hated the ploughman's. Yuk! and having turned vegan... well, the only option is to make your own sandwiches.

having watched the delis make sandwiches... i don't trust 'em one bit!

if you are in temple bar, i have heard that cafe irie do fabulous veggie sandwiches; well worth trying.
    http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/17/pt/0/spid/83D8BA0E-6603-4584-A929054BAFE452E9.htm

Yeah, I watched people eat there. :P

Looked great, expensive enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

The Cafe Fresh sandwiches are/were awesome..

I would usually get ones with roast veg and tofu or cheddar. I think what made them so tasty though, was the soft crumbly homemade brown bread combined with the pesto and oil used instead of butter or mayo.

It looked like they infused the oil with the pesto/herbs for some time, perhaps overnight. I don't think you would get the same effect from just adding olive oil straight to it - the oil was a delicious green colour!

The roast/sautéed veg was a bit of an unusual filling for a sandwich (compared to your local Spar/Centra/O'Briens at least..), but it worked really well with these other ingredients.

About Cafe Irie, tried one of their sandwiches about a year ago, didn't like it, although I think it could have just been an off day for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

cafe irie use to do the best sandwiches and veggie soups and really cheap to. You could get almost anything you could think of on a sandwhich [first time I ever had avocado was there] and loads of different types of bread to but bout 5 years ago they changed the menu [don't know if they changed owners] It was all set sandwhiches and paninis and the cost shot up.

Deli counters can be dangerous. I was queueing for a sandwhich at an o'briens one day and the guy in front of me ordered two sandwhiches that were full of chicken and tuna, it was all over the counter. When I went to order mine the girl didn't wipe the counter or anything, I had to ask her to and then she went to cut it with the same knife she'd used on the others without cleaning it. I try not to be to whinny about stuff like that but it was covered in tuna. Since that I've been a little iffy about ordering sandwhiches.

I don't think you'd be whiney to be giving out about that just because you're a veggie. It's just simple hygene and food safety.

• Advertisement

Nature Boy wrote: »
    I don't think you'd be whiney to be giving out about that just because you're a veggie. It's just simple hygene and food safety.

precisely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

OK this is the best sandwich i have ever had i make it all the time

Bread(obviously, whatever kind you like)

Mayonaise

Onions and red onions

Red and green peppers

Lettuce

Tomato

And then seasoning to taste

Seriously you have to try this:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

the best veggie sambo i have ever made.

fresh white brennans bread.
    soft kerrygold butter lashed on each slice.

fry chips from spus rather than frozen.
    place chips and lightly salt on one slice of the bread.
    place other slice on top.

...i know what im having for lunch today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

In London the spars had falafal & hummus sandwiches. They were pre-packed so don't see why they cant be shipped here.

You can get falafel and hummus sandwiches in Starbucks here, they're not that amazing though. Blazing Salads have better options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

most stuff in starbucks other than coffe is a bit crap. these sandwiches were a hell of a lot better than the ploughmans you get here. I thought this thread was about pre-packed sandwiches

no, this is a thread about all types of sandwiches available to buy for lunch, not necessarily pre packaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

the laralu stand in the george's street arcade do great veggie pre-made sandwiches - babaganoush, humous they also do a fantastic falafel pitta sandwich and their soups are fantastic too. mmm know where i'm heading for lunch today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

I think pre-packaged sandwiches are the most god awful things. They are generally loaded with salt and preservatives. The ones on the trains -Freshways- really annoy me especially with their adverts that claim they 'are made fresh every day' - but the ingredient list is just ridiculous!
    I only turned veggie a few months ago and am trying now to becom vegan but I am desperate for options at delis. Fairly sick of dry salad sandwiches and don't always have time to make my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

mmm this thread is making me hungry!! :p I love Blazing Salads! After working in many a food outlet through college I can safely say I always make my own! I love a good salad sandwich with iceberg lettuce, spinach leaves, alfalfa shoots salad cream & fresh spring onion mmm lovely in a wholemeal pitta :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Would BBQ sauce be a vegan alternative for mayo at delis?

I ususally go to Blazing Salads for lunch stuff and load up on spring rolls and their amazing selection of salads.

I think BBQ sauce is usually ok.

Recently I've been making some sandwiches with brown sliced bread, dubliner cheese slices, relish (ballymaloe country relish) and lettuce. Simple but tasty :D

Advertisement