Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insects in flour

• 09-01-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

just went to get some flour out of my press and i stire it in an airtight container .there was alot of tiny brown insects in it.what are they and how long does flour last for.vaguely remember a baker telling me there are mites of some sort in all flour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're called (not unsurprisingly!) flour mites :) Loads of hits if you Google them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It happened to my friend years ago and when she contacted the flour company she was told flour should not be stored in an airtight container. I stand my open bag of flour in a freezer bag in the cupboard, just to save on spillages, and I've never had a problem with mites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I used flour with mites in it before when I was a chubby lil guy probably making some cakes and I'm still alive so they are probably harmless:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jesus thats gross, i've never ever seen that.
    Throw the flour into the bin is what i'd do.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Years ago I was asked to make cakes in school for something that was happening there that night. (Got time off class to bake, why would I say no?) Anyway, some of the flour had those little insects in it, but because everyone else baking were the bullys of the class, they won the vote and we used it.

And then I got given out to for telling people.

But there were no deaths.

Must tell my mum that she shouldn't store flour in those kilner jars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement