Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Scanning Software - Recommendation

Options
  • 09-01-2008 4:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently working on a little project here in work where I'm trying to determine what speed and duplex the network cards on all PCs (approx 400) are set to..

Anyone know a little utility that I can run on the network and will give me this info???

All help greatly appreciated. Dont fancy spending the weekend in here doing it manually.. :(

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you have managed switches you can probably quickly see the settings being used by the client NICs on the console. Otherwise if you have easy access the front panels of the switches will tell you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah we have managed switches, but I'm looking for a utility that will scan the PCs themselves on the network.. I know what ports are giving data errors, the list is long and I'm working through it.. but its taking forever.. check the port settings, check the cable, trace it back to the patch panel, then to the floor, then check the PC..

If I had a utility that could scan the PCs, I'd be able to set all network card settings to the correct settings remotely to start with and then go from there..

I cant even find a Windows registry entry to do a network reg scan for :(

Anyone any ideas??

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

If they're all Windows machines, you might be able to set up a script that uses psexec to dump the nic info. You could then match up MAC addresses, rather than physically following cables from switches to PCs (assuming you can get a list of MACs connected to ports from the switches).

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Try this.

But if your switch can't give you the MAC address table (some switches have it on the web gui others have it on the command line), an SNMP tool might not find it either. Use the DHCP lease table to identify IP address and hopefully the computer name from the MAC address.

Advertisement