Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contacts at Reserve Training

• 09-01-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Sorry about all the questions folks, just a question I had going through my mind.

Will I be allowed to wear contact lenses at the training camp for the RDF?

I despise glasses, always getting dirty/smudged and in my case, breaking often.

What are the reserves thoughts on Laser Surgery?
    Something I've been considering doing for a long time so now could be the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Gunny Hartman

You will indeed be able to wear contacts. Laser eye surgery at the moment is a no no as far as I know within the DF but PDFORRA are working to get this changed. I personally went through Recruit training with glasses and had no problem besides leaving a pair on a ridge in the glen one night while out on patrol. Thankfully I had a second pair.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Thanks,

what time do you get up at training and what time do you fall in>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

I've worn glasses & contacts (tho not at the same time!!!) for years; never had an issue with them apart from the points raised about them getting dirty / fogged up (& broken / lost). And like yourself, I hate wearing glasses, prefer contacts.

But you'd be wise to investigate contacts that can you can keep in your eyes longer that the max 8 hours, because if you're on the ground, there'll be few opportunities to remove / insert contacts in a clean enough environment after 8 hours wear. Consult your optician about this, as not everyone is suitable for such lenses. Also, there is a seperate eye - test for these type of lenses, and there is a longer familiarisation / break-in period than with standard 8 hour lenses.

You only have one pair of eyes (no talk yet of eye transplants becoming available!!!) so you gotta look after the eyes you have. So if it means you need to wear glasses more than you'd like to, then that's the way it's gotta be.

Be seein ya:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

One other point - it's vital to have a second pair of glasses with you on camp or an overnight. You'll be f**k all use as a soldier if you can't see because your glasses got broken or lost.

See ya later;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Gunny Hartman

steyr fan wrote: »
    One other point - it's vital to have a second pair of glasses with you on camp or an overnight. You'll be f**k all use as a soldier if you can't see because your glasses got broken or lost.

See ya later;)

I thought ahead of that one when I was going on the ground during recruit training thank god! :D I would have had some fun explaining to the LT why I'm useless to him

"Ya see sir, I need to come off the ground and go into a nice warm shower because I "lost" my glasses.":p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Sorry, just to ask another question.

What do you do if someone messes with you at training camp etc?

See, I'm a gentle soul, but when I was younger, if someone ever started anything with me, I'd try to walk away but if they continued usually dove in guns blazing. I got in serious trouble once when a kid started on me and I bust his lip.

I've calmed down a lot since then, but just as a precaution, what do you do if there's bullying in the RDF? I've got enough self control to put up with it but I'm unsure of how else to tackle such a problem. This is the army where the image is of toughness and security. I'd be extremely nervous about approaching an officer to admit that I lacked the verbal skills to stand up for myself without violent. Pathetic as it sounds, I'm unsure of how to solve a problem without at least acting like you'll come to blows, in my experience even if you got in a fight with someone stronger than you, he'd have more respect for you or else not see you as an easy targer.

Ok, please note, I am not a tough guy and am not trying to project an image of being hard. I really am concerned at how I'd go about this in an environment where I need to be confident and cocksure enough to stand up for myself without running to a sergeant, and still maintaining the discipline and self-control needed for a soldier of the RDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

get the one day acuvue lens if your eyes are use to em you should get 14/16 hours out of em... no cleaning just pop a new pair in every morn they come in single sachets dont forget your glasses youll need them to give the eyes a rest. just judge when to put them in ie. night patrols, guard, training days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

See, I'm a gentle soul, but when I was younger, if someone ever started anything with me, I'd try to walk away but if they continued usually dove in guns blazing. I got in serious trouble once when a kid started on me and I bust his lip.

I've calmed down a lot since then, but just as a precaution, what do you do if there's bullying in the RDF? I've got enough self control to put up with it but I'm unsure of how else to tackle such a problem. This is the army where the image is of toughness and security. I'd be extremely nervous about approaching an officer to admit that I lacked the verbal skills to stand up for myself without violent. Pathetic as it sounds, I'm unsure of how to solve a problem without at least acting like you'll come to blows, in my experience even if you got in a fight with someone stronger than you, he'd have more respect for you or else not see you as an easy targer.

Ok, please note, I am not a tough guy and am not trying to project an image of being hard. I really am concerned at how I'd go about this in an environment where I need to be confident and cocksure enough to stand up for myself without running to a sergeant, and still maintaining the discipline and self-control needed for a soldier of the RDF.

bullying doesnt happen that much nco's wont stand for it. if someone picks on you restrain yourself as you said you can, but if they keep it up knock the fcuker out that'll put an end to it. If your pl sgt is any good the incident wont/shouldn't go above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

As long as you are not a Dry-Balls no one will really mess with you. If you have fun no one will bother you.

Also just remember that most things people will say to you is just slagging not actually messing with you.

Also, If you are not bad at marching you will be OK. The People who are bad make everyone look bad so people sometimes "pick" on them.

Advertisement