Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

University Sports Hall

• 09-01-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK guys i have an exam next week.. its in the University Sports Hall... its in Minor Hall. Where abouts is this ?? is this " Minor Hall " big ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

It's right beside the main sports hall, has a big climbing wall on one side of it so you should spot it if you pop your head in the doors. It used to be behind the old reception but they moved stuff since I had an exam in there last :)

It seats about 40 people I think, could be more but it's nothing compared to sitting in the main sports hall or the Helix Mahony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

robdcu wrote: »
    OK guys i have an exam next week.. its in the University Sports Hall... its in Minor Hall. Where abouts is this ?? is this " Minor Hall " big ??

It's usually in the room with the rock-climbing wall. Go through the doors leading to the main hall and it should be further up on the right hand side (at the bottom of the stairs that bring you up to the viewing gallery).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

40 people ah **** , im soo nervous .. i cant stand being squashed in a small room with a small group of people :(:(:(:( how close will we be ?? what the story on a 2 hour exam,, isnt it cant leave in the first half hour or the last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

robdcu wrote: »
    40 people ah **** , im soo nervous .. i cant stand being squashed in a small room with a small group of people :(:(:(:( how close will we be ?? what the story on a 2 hour exam,, isnt it cant leave in the first half hour or the last

First half an hour and last 10 minutes (could be last half hour, I'm not 100% sure). Tbh, I prefer sitting exams in the minor hall. It's just so much easier and the atmosphere is a lot more relaxed than the main hall. Just being nosey, but what course are you doing and what exam is it?

You can't leave during the first hour or the last half hour.

Small rooms are much better, there's less background noise, less shuffling, less invigilators walking around, less people leaving early and walking past you, etc... There should be plenty of space to either side of you, probably about a meter but you could be a little closer to the people in front and behind you.

• Advertisement

in EPL ... i just feel distressed in small areas such as this .. i have the mild panic attack where i find it hard to breathe ... is there exceptions for sitting an exam in a room by urself with someone watching you .. of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

only if you are dyslexic or have a learning difficulty, get onto the students union or something about it. the minor hall is big enough to be honest, nice, real tall roof. no reason to become closterphobic in there...that i can see anyway

thanks wilburt... but its even being that close to people for so long .. i dunno why.. buts its my biggest fear.. especially when you know you cant leave . in a lecture i sit next to the door . will it be hard to convince them?? also whats the hub venue like for exams???

im not trying to sound like a d!ck but youre in university, you're no longer a kid.
    you can leave after half an hour in the exam, but cant leave during the last half hour. go out for a toilet break or something during that time to pull yourself together.

how did you get through secondary school is whats puzzling me if you dont like confined spaces, with great difficulty i presume

wait im confused .. ya mean .. one can leave and go to the tolients within the time period. i thought the time thing was about leaving the exam for good

• Advertisement

its not a prison, you can leave and go to the toilets with an invigilator present

i often feel week in exams . would i be able to have a piece of choloate in my pocket or a bottle of water outside the room?? Wilbert do you know how big the Hub Venue is for an exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You did the LC right? It's exactly the same. You can leave whenever you want. They can't physically restrain you. I think you should pay a visit to the medical center. Sounds like you've serious anxiety issues

The Hub is a lot bigger but as there's a lot more people in the room, you're spaced out just the same as in all the other exam halls. Strictly speaking you're not allowed food or drink in the exam halls but as long as it doesn't fizz (coke), pop (pringles?) or crackle (crisps), most invigilators don't care.

You don't have a choice of venue or seat but as others have said, you could try approaching the medical centre or exams office and talk to them. I very much doubt you'll get anywhere though, especially considering the late notice but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

could somebody point me in the right direction of 'main hall'. im only in DCU for the year and havent really wandered around the place yet. would it be near the sports hall reception??

go in the door of the gym reception and take a left past the desk and it's the huge hall on your left

Go into the entrance of the Sports Complex beside the Hub/Bar/Residences, through the turnstyles on the left beside reception and up the steps. I think the main sports hall is on the right of the corridor and the small sports hall is at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

thanks guys - happy studying!:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It's the huge hall on your right*. That reception isnt there anymore....

Sorry, I was thinking about coming in from the old entrance that's closed up now

• Advertisement

so just to clarify would i be to bring food into the hall with me and go to the toliet and have eg. a bar . I have problems,when i sugar goes down i lose all my energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Louth Man

I'd say you could. They're hardly that anal.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭charlesodowd

markpb wrote: »
    You can't leave during the first hour or the last half hour.
    QUOTE]

I'm always finished with 25 mins to go... have to sit twiddlin my thumbs

anyone on for starting a new soc? In honour of robdcu?

Huh???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

No, you cant bring food in to the hall. If they're letting you eat, they should.
    (cept if you're diabetic or some ****, then they'd have to. Not sure if you are, i haven't read the whole thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

i know a guy who eats sandwich in the exam everytime we have one - stupid rules - never enforced - no drinking is another - loads of ppl have water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    anyone on for starting a new soc? In honour of robdcu?

:D

Advertisement