Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM didnt give money but took money from account

Options
  • 09-01-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

So i went to centra and tried to take out 190 euro everything went as normal except the part where the money comes out. The machine just started back at please enter your card. I checked my account and found that they had taken the 190 euro even though no cash came out of machine. So i went to the my bank and they told me to fill out a form and they would get back to me. So what are the chances ill get my money back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Usually the money will be refunded automatically, have you checked online or gone to another ATM and got a mini statement?
    Unless it had a device attached :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They'll just check the transactions vs the amount in machine and you should get it back.

I would imagine there would be a small trip sensor that would be depressed when the notes passed over it (like in a printer) and if that wasn't tripped it'll flag it as a bad transaction.

Just a guess but you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

yh i checked before i went to the bank it hasnt been refund. Bank said they would get back to me in ten days if it still wasnt there. For anyone in dublin dont use the atm in centra on parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

This has happened to me more than once. They will refund but you do need to chase them on it and it can take a couple of weeks.

Pain in the ass as it is their machine that has caused the problem but what do you do?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Also you have to go into your own branch and fill a form in, chase them up every day and you will get it.

• Advertisement

yh ill just ring them everyday. Damn banks going to go back to keeping my money in brown evelopes under my matress:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

kenco wrote:
    This has happened to me more than once. They will refund but you do need to chase them on it and it can take a couple of weeks.

Pain in the ass as it is their machine that has caused the problem but what do you do?

Might not be. Could be another banks machine.
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    Also you have to go into your own branch and fill a form in, chase them up every day and you will get it.
    rory1983 wrote: »
    yh ill just ring them everyday. Damn banks going to go back to keeping my money in brown evelopes under my matress:D

I can guarentee that will not help at all. There is a process in place and it must be followed. Unfortunatly it can take anything up to 10 working days for to investigate depending on the location / type of machine / bank(s) involved / amount of other queries in train etc. So for God sake be patient!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I don't trust banks when it comes to issues like that.

I was out of the country with my bank card when 60 euros was taken out of an ATM in Santry where i don't even live. I went in to them thinking it wouldn't be a problem to get my money back as it was obviously an error and i had proof that i was in the US. And there was also a camera at the alledged ATM i withdrew money from. They took my card and said they would send it off to Cork for testing. Then i got a call about 2 weeks later to say that my card was used to make the transaction. I showed them pictures of me in a place that obviously was not Ireland with a timestamp on it 17 mins before i supposedly took out the money. They said i could have got somebody else to use my card. When i asked them to check the camera they said they did and that it was not me but could not show me the photo because they were protecting their customers privacy. What a joke. I quickly closed my account and withdrew everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

stepbar wrote: »
    I can guarentee that will not help at all. There is a process in place and it must be followed. Unfortunatly it can take anything up to 10 working days for to investigate depending on the location / type of machine / bank(s) involved / amount of other queries in train etc. So for God sake be patient!!!!!!!

I had it happen me a few months ago, nearly 400 quid, the bank said they would balance the machine the night I reported it and wouldn't give me an emergancy overdraft or anything cos I had to pay my rent. It was my banks own machine, the never looked into it at all. I was at the garage where the machine was a couple of days later and asked for the manager cos the bank actually said they had proof I got the money etc and the manager of the garage reviewed the footage and rang the bank and told them that i didn't. The manager also told me he had an engineer out the day after i didn't get my money and that he rang the bank to inform them there was more money in the machine than there should be, he also said that one fella was waiting over 6 months to get money back. I rang the head office and it took weeks to get it back as they were still adamant that I got the money.

well that better not happen to me i think the manager in the centra thought i was trying to scam him out of cash and lying about the atm. Anyway an error message displayed on the screen for about 2 sec when it happens so i presume they will have a log of this so i should get the money back and its easy to say be patient but i was taking the money out to pay bills so not everyone can afford to wait ten days for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

chase them and keep posting what happened. I still remember when this ATM stuff started, my grandma was always suspicious about mechanical failure and i, as a tech kid, used to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

Happened to me before in a centra were i tried to take out E40 and it didnt come out and stupidly i tried again and didnt get any money out.

Went into TSB on Henry St. (even though its not my branch) and they checked my withdrawal record so i could pick out the two transactions. they said it would take 10 working days but i actually had it only 4 days later, still a pain in the hole though!

Well checked today and the money has been returned so no need to harass them over the phone for ten days:D That was fast.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sometimes the banks procedures do seem to be well weighed in their favour. Herself had her card swallowed in an ATM run by her bank. She rang and they said that she could report it lost and get a new one in 3-5 days or wait approx 3 weeks for it to be returned.

So due to a crappy atm she was without a card for 5 days. All it would take is for the card to be collected from the ATM that night, sent internally to her branch and the job was oxo. But no - it suited the bank to chalk up a "she lost it" statistic rather than a "we fouled up" statistic.

Advertisement