Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenstar

Options
  • 09-01-2008 5:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

Leaflet came in the door last night for Greenstar's refuse collection and recycling service.

Prices seem better than the Corpo and they also do glass collections. The Corpo left behind a bag of my recycling this morning (I think they may have found it a tad heavy but seeing as herself could carry it out I don't see why a brawny binman couldn't and it was only half full) so it may be an ideal time to move (start of year etc).

Anybody any experiences with Greenstar ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

my friend and neighbour changed to them and find them good.
    the glass collection is monthly.I havent heard anyone complain about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AMGEORGEY

Changed to Greenstar last year and think they're terrific...they take away as much rubbish/recycling as you can leave out, so am very happy with them. Hope this helps...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They do my apartment block - no recycling worth speaking of. Boo! They might be better for houses, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I use them, cheapest I could find. No complaints, they've always collected when they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Likewise - excellent service

Only complaint is that they've started leaving the bins between the driveway gates blocking it, so when you get home of a night you have to get out of the car to move the bins before you can drive in....Grrr (the council were as bad :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

im moving into a new house and was wondering about them as i have seen the bins around.... i like the glass collection bit but can anyone give me ideas of costs per year? how does it all work out... i havent gotten any fliers...

thanks

all_smilz wrote: »
    im moving into a new house and was wondering about them as i have seen the bins around.... i like the glass collection bit but can anyone give me ideas of costs per year? how does it all work out... i havent gotten any fliers...

thanks

http://www.greenstar.ie/

As mentioned above, they do have a habit of leaving the bin in my car space rather than putting it back on the footpath, so I need to get out of the car when arriving home. Not a massive deal but a small bit annoying..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Try this link for specific info about Greenstar in Cork.

http://www.greenstarcork.ie/

I got them in when I moved back to Cork a few months ago and haven't had a problem. The glass collection is very handy also...saves trips to the recycling banks as I am a lazy sod :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Thanks folks. Sent off the forms today. The idea of bins rather than bags for the dry recyclables sounded good. Even better is the fact that they'll collect glass - no more scrabbing around in dirty bottle banks. We usually only pay for a bin-lift every 4 weeks so it will be handy getting a half-full bin lifted every fortnight (no more nappies festering for a month..)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alo10

yeah started using greenstar recently as well.. I've found them very good service - even took the bins from the side of the house when we forgot to put em out at christmas - nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Their site isn't over-informative. What's their pick-up schedule like? Rubish every other week + glass every four weeks and recycling the other three?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Got my renewal for wiser bins the other day and they included a lovely cover letter detailing the reasons their customers shouldnt switch to greenstar. Lots of lovely stuff detailing misinformation being spread about cheaper rates and better service...

You might want to consider Wiser too parsi.

Greenstar schedule is something like this per month:

Week 1: Refuse + recycling
    Week 2: Recycling
    Week 3: Refuse + recycling
    Week 4: Glass

Not sure about Wiser. Looked into them and they were more expensive at the time (a few months ago) and you also had to pay a fee for the use/rental/purchase of bins on top of the actual annual collection charge which struck me as very odd and annoying. Maybe they have improved their pricing now that there is more competition.

Obviously check out all the providers and decide which is the best option for you.

Think I paid Greenstar €264 for a year. Not sure about Wiser.

Silly question about the Greenstar collection which someone may know the answer to:

Why do they collect the general waste and recycle waste and dump them both into the same truck at the same time???

I have to assume that the truck is somehow seperated inside so they don't mix with each other but this Ireland so it is quite possible that the recycle collection is simply dumped with the general waste!

As mentioned above, they do have a habit of leaving the bin in my car space rather than putting it back on the footpath, so I need to get out of the car when arriving home. Not a massive deal but a small bit annoying..

They must be reading this thread, they've started putting the bins back on the footpaths again......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Started with Country Clean
    Moved to Wiser as they were cheaper
    Then moved to Greenstar as they were cheaper again

Greenstar are by far the most efficient (they always collect on time)

The only complaint is that they use a small wheelie bin for glass. In the 8 months with Greenstar I'd say I've put the glass bin out twice! So you have a bin full of glass taking up space.

Wiser's little red container was a better idea for glass IMO.

The only other consideration re: Greenstar is that they are owned (AFAIK) by the NRA (the gang who toll the roads?) and according to Wiser are trying monopolise and will eventually mean we are all paying more for bin collection.

kcb wrote: »

The only complaint is that they use a small wheelie bin for glass. In the 8 months with Greenstar I'd say I've put the glass bin out twice! So you have a bin full of glass taking up space.

Drink more ! We get through a lot of glass. If the Corpo had offered glass collection and lifted half-full bins then we'd have stayed.

kcb wrote:
    and according to Wiser are trying monopolise and will eventually mean we are all paying more for bin collection.

I expect that any of the operators would love to monopolise. Though it does seem as if there is almost a carve-up of areas - we never received mailshots from Wiser or CountryClean.

Was there not a suggestion floated by the Greens in Dublin that competing firms are environmentally unfriendly and that the service should go to tender ? Multiple firms will keep each other on their toes (hopefully).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jokermuffin

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody knows where to find online the 2010 Calender Collection dates for Cork City South? I live in Mount Oval and I can't seem to find the new calender for the Rochestown area.

Thank you in advance,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody knows where to find online the 2010 Calender Collection dates for Cork City South? I live in Mount Oval and I can't seem to find the new calender for the Rochestown area.

Thank you in advance,

M

You can download the relevant calendar directly from the Greenstar website

• Advertisement

Rebeller wrote: »
    You can download the relevant calendar directly from the Greenstar website

The R430 one is the one to look for I believe.

http://www.greenstar.ie/docs/2010/calendars/CORK%20%28R430%29%202010%20CALENDAR-COVERING-BLARNEY-FERMOY-MAHON-PASSAGE.pdf

Says Rochestown Road on a wednesday. I'm in Thornbury and ours is a wednesday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

When I asked Greenstar about moving a while ago from Country Clean to them they said I had to buy all their bins from scratch and couldn't use my own. They wanted a few hundred euro to be kitted out. Seems strange, might have been misinformation from the agent on the phone but at any rate it put me off switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I'm thinking of changing from the council this year, does anyone have any experience of Country Clean?

Hey Ludo, Thanks for that.

I had already checked on the website and didn't spot it. Funny thing tho, last Tues they came and took our recycling - the calander says ours comes on Wednesday and also says it is recycling this week. Does anybody know if that's because of the holidays?.....Tried calling them today,no response.

Thank you,

M

hmmm...they collected our general waste and recycling last wednesday as normal and I got the text from them last night saying today is recycling collection again as normal.

The text they send every tuesday evening saying what bins to put out is very handy. I always find it funny driving home on a wednesday when it is a glass or recycling collection only and see all the people with the general waste bins out in our estate. You think they would learn after a few weeks of having to bring a full bin back in.

The text is handy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

I've been with Greenstar since I moved to Cork in 2007, and no problems or complaints with their service at all.

The only minor issue we had was when the roads froze the other week, and they couldn't get to us to collect our bins! :D But they sent a text informing us as soon as they knew, and the collection was done the following week, along with the regularly scheduled one.

Spot on service, and I pay €27 a month (for the larger sized bin). I don't recall having to buy the bins initially either, they were provided free of charge when I ordered the service. You do have to pay for replacements however. (Our nextdoor neighbours took ours in once, thinking they were theirs, and kept them for 5 days without mentioning it, in the meantime, we'd reported them stolen and ordered more! :rolleyes:)

They definately took recycling two weeks in a row here for some reason. Got it all sorted now anyways, so thanks for all the help. We obviously don't have the handy text thing, just moved in, but ill have the mobile number changed now that I know they do that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Are Cork County Council going to start charging VAT this year that they were'nt charging until now?

Thought I saw this somewhere? AFAIK VAT is already included in the other operators charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement