Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nine-one-one at esso

Options
  • 09-01-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Stopped off at Esso on navan road today (before Auburn Roundabout).
    Got a sandwhich from the nine one one place inside. Chicken, lettuce, coleslaw and i asked for onion. She said i get 2 salad and the 3rd is extra, asked did i still want onion and i said yes... i should have asked how much the extra was, i assumed 10 or 20 cent or something...
    Turns out extra salad item is 89c :eek::eek: It was a few sliced onion pieces, i could have got a whole bag of onions for that.

My own fault for saying to go ahead but they must make a fortune in the mark up on their sandwiches.

So point is, watch out for a charge on extra salad items. Most places i go to like mace etc do not charge for extra salad items.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ahh but think of their overheads, they have to make a living etc etc :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's the same in O'Briens, Dunnes, Spar, Centra, etc. You're right, you should have asked how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

pretty scandalous but I've always thought sandwiches were one of the most overpriced items on sale in the rip off republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Kylemore Cafe in the City Square shopping centre in Waterford: €1.60 for an extra salad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

I almost got stung on that before, in a 911 (same one IIRC) the guy wanted €1.20 for a sprinking of cheese. Needless to say, I went without it. Funny though, they charge you that much for an extra salad, and most times I'm in those stores, they dont have a "mixed salad" bowl. Probably coz that would cut down on their intake of rip off vegetable money.
    Also, their donuts have gone seriously downhill. They used to be really nice, like the type Homer Simpson would be pleased to find, but last few times I tried them, there is a really strong factory made chemical kind of taste. Chocolate, custard and peroxide donuts. Bleeurgh.

In saying that though, its not only 911. I was in an Applegreen a while back, and I asked for a particular roll as advertised on the wall as one of their specials; a beef roll with onions and mushrooms. I just happened to notice as she was wrapping it that there was just the meat, and when I asked for the other ingredients, was told that it would cost more. Despite the fact that there was a 10 foot by 10 foot picture of the roll on the wall behind her advertising the set price, which was about a euro lower than she was trying to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I was in the Johnstown inn near Naas last week and ordered a toasted chicken and cheese. I asked for some sweetcorn in the sambo as well. Bill came and the sweetcorn was an extra €1.50 :eek:

Rubbing blasterds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

jaysus - i'm thinking of a new business plan - stand outside Spar's etc with a bag full of chopped onions - a sprinkling on your sandwich, sir? - a bargain for a mere 50c!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I went to Dunnes to get a roll and they wouldn't give me cheese on it, not even if I paid extra. They said they don't do cheese on rolls. Kind of wondered why they had cheese behind the counter. This happened to a friend as well in another Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

I noticed that an extra charge for salad items has become quite common. In the local SPAR where I sometime get a sandwich they charge 50c, now if you ask for tomato they chage 50c for two-three slices of tomato. In the same shop they have a salad bar, if you get 2-3 slices of tomato there you pay half that, so thats what I do now.

However Col Saunders is right , sandwiches/coffee etc are a total rip off the Indo did a interesting article at the weekend showing that if you have a sandwich/coffee a day from a shop and you stopped you would save nearly 2000 euro per year. Now if you can be bothered to make your own sandwiches is a different matter of course

as for Dunnes not doing cheese on rolls that is just wierd , I assume you told them to put the roll back and walked out of the store , thats what I would have done !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Indo did a interesting article at the weekend showing that if you have a sandwich/coffee a day from a shop and you stopped you would save nearly 2000 euro per year. Now if you can be bothered to make your own sandwiches is a different matter of course
    !

I read that article. It was a bit weird, they gave the example of a person buying a sambo and water (i think) for lunch, a latte in the morning and another in the afternoon. Do people who do this not realize how much they are spending?
    Like when I seen Eddie Hobbes saying "you can save €1500 a year by bringing lunch", do people really have to have this pointed out to them?
    Do people ever say, "wow, you're right, I didnt realize that €8 a day added up to so much over the course of a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

as for Dunnes not doing cheese on rolls that is just wierd , I assume you told them to put the roll back and walked out of the store , thats what I would have done !

Yup, went to a shop next door where they put whatever I wanted on the roll and turned it into a panini! And it was cheaper. Usually make my own though, but was in a rush and couldn't get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've been overcharged a few times in delis and simply have left the sambo in the fridge beside the other premade ones. Someone else might buy it but I won't.

Went to the local spar recently for a brekkie roll. 2 sausage, 2 rasher, 2 pudding and hash brown. The lady made it up and no hash browns left. So i asked would it be cheaper and she said no. I then asked for another sausage which she did give me, albeit with some reservations! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

how many sandwiches can you make with a sliced pan or for that matter how many bags of chips from a 10kilo bag of spuds! these food items are seriously overcharged and does the revenue estimate answers these quetions?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

the Indo did a interesting article at the weekend showing that if you have a sandwich/coffee a day from a shop and you stopped you would save nearly 2000 euro per year.

Did they mention that if you stop buying the Indo every day you will save a further €800 per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

squire1 wrote: »
    Did they mention that if you stop buying the Indo every day you will save a further €800 per year?

And if you read it online in work, your employer is actually paying you to read it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

micmclo wrote: »
    And if you read it online in work, your employer is actually paying you to read it ;)

But that would be embezzlement:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Londis on Baggot street (where the Henry Gratton pub used to be) charged me €4.10 for a breakfast sambo this morning. A nice price for 2 slices of bread, 2 sausages, 1 rasher, 1 egg, 1 hash brown and a dollop of brown sauce.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jaysus - i'm thinking of a new business plan - stand outside Spar's etc with a bag full of chopped onions - a sprinkling on your sandwich, sir? - a bargain for a mere 50c!

It would all end in tears.

Advertisement