Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog's fighting all the time

Options
  • 09-01-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can give me a hint on how to stop my 2 dogs fighting all the time, they are both male one is only 9 months old and the other is about 7 years, and all they do now is fight, it is getting vicious and I may have to get rid of one if it dose not stop. I know the odd quarel is normal over dominance but this is getting serious, I have tryed everything I know but nothing seems to calm them once they start, any advice is accepted greatfully!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Are they neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

We have two dogs that started to tear lumps out of each other (and us) when we moved into our new house, we seperated them for a few months, put them back together and had no more problems. They were litter sisters age there wasn't so much of an age gap.

The one thing I'd say is that it could be a dominance issue in which case you have to try and get across the notion that you are top dog to both of them. With one being so much older than the other it could just be a case that one feels the other is intruding and the younger one isn't quite up on doggy pecking order/beaviour yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

There battling to be top dog and you need to take over and become the top dog-they clearly dont see you as the boss right now! when they do they will have nothing to fight about-dogs have to have a leader and if its not you it will be 1 of them, thats for them to decide through fighting-put a stop to it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

Had the same problem as GDM with 2 litter sisters, started ripping lumps out of each other when they were about 2 years old, they had already been neutered. Dominance issue I think. They didnt fight every day but after three visits to the vet for stitches we had enoughs. Tried to get rid of the one that did the most damage but surprise, no one wanted it. We then took them to a dog trainer once, they had basic commands sit, heel before but he reinforced and added some more. He gave some suggestions - we were the bosses, dogs got fed only after people, no scraps at table, get them to walk properly on lead - they never walk in front of you. We try and do sit and stay once or twice on each walk . We also gave them a little food in morning so they wouldnt get cranky and then they get fed when we finish evening meal. We also try and get them out at least once a day, sometimes twice. They settled down very quickly but have fought about once a year since. When we are not at home, we leave the dominant dog on a shoulder harness and just enough cable to reach half of the garden giving the other dog space to escape if needed. They are now 10, will sleep on top of each other, even when one is one the harness. Every so often they have an odd growl.

Not supposed to be a good idea to bring in an unneutered dog into a house where there is already a neutered dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

simple.

Snip snip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Snipping isn't always the answer, you could just have antisocial dogs like one of mine. She tolerates her sister but would eat any other dog that came near her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

GDM wrote: »
    Snipping isn't always the answer, you could just have antisocial dogs like one of mine. She tolerates her sister but would eat any other dog that came near her.

You answered yourself for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Padjo, how are you treating the dogs?

If you're petting the new baby, you may be intensifying the problem.

Dogs are kind of hierearchichal - they're civil servants in fur.

You *may* make things easier if you feed the boss dog first, then the baby, and pet the boss dog first, and only pet the baby when the boss dog is out of sight and smell.

If they're fighting, separate them immediately, and don't make a fuss. Dogs love drama-queening; don't indulge it.

I hope you do have them neutered, though - more people lose dogs because the dogs go hunting after bitches than for any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

The boss dog is fed first, he is the first let out in the yard and is treated in same as always, but just don't think he likes the pup, as far as I can make out it is a personality thing. These are not my first dogs and have never had a problem like this before. The pup is a Alaskan Malamute and I was hoping to stud him out so he is not sniped. The older one is a springer who I used to stud out.
    luckat wrote: »
    Padjo, how are you treating the dogs?

If you're petting the new baby, you may be intensifying the problem.

Dogs are kind of hierearchichal - they're civil servants in fur.

You *may* make things easier if you feed the boss dog first, then the baby, and pet the boss dog first, and only pet the baby when the boss dog is out of sight and smell.

If they're fighting, separate them immediately, and don't make a fuss. Dogs love drama-queening; don't indulge it.

I hope you do have them neutered, though - more people lose dogs because the dogs go hunting after bitches than for any other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Well, I think neutering them would help the problem at least, personally I would get them neutered unless he was show quality/brilliant example of the breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Personally and from my experience, I'm not a great believer in propping up one dogs rank above the other.

We have three dogs, one male, two bitches. The male was there first and the other two joined as pups two and four years later. (The oldest is now eight, the youngest three)

In our household no dog gets preferential treatment. We feed them seperately, but water is there for everyone to share.

Things like going through the door, into the car, onto the lead, etc ...whoever is closest comes first ...unless they bullied their way to the front ...then they come last :D

As for cuddles etc ...dogs are allowed "ask" for attention and take the initiative ...just not overly so, and especially not at the expense of the others.
    Bullying and jumping the queue is not tolerated. We decide who gets what when ...more or less arbitrarily, but we try to be fair so that everybody gets their share.

Fighting is not tolerated. We will let the dogs get away with expressing discomfort, but any possessive/aggressive growling (or worse biting) is strictly forbidden.

We DO make a difference though:
    Both dogs get warned ...but only the aggressor gets punished (punishment can range from a stern talking to, pushing aside to removal from the group)

This is the one case where a dog gets "preferential" treatment and where it is important to get it right ...the loudest one may not always be the aggressor.

This makes three things clear to the dogs: 1) there is a set of rules that are the same for everyone 2) fighting for dominance/higher position is not rewarded 3) the boss is the boss :D

Having had a few semi-serious squabbles over the years, with swift and stern consequences (try throwing a 40 kg dog out the door :D) I believe the dogs take us seriously and for a long time now any squabbles have stopped after a warning and a quick verbal reminder towards the aggressor of what exactly the rules are.

One "secret for sucess" with quarreling dogs is not to get stressed and chaotic yourself. One big roar to get their attention, but then quietly, firmly and swiftly/decisively mete out your punisment. No dithering, no doubting yourself, no panicked yelling, no explanations. You the boss, you set the rules, you enforce them quicker than they can protest :D

Advertisement