Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Development Rates

Options
  • 09-01-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Sorry if my post is in the wrong section but I am trying to find out what the hourly contract rate for a (graduated) developer with 10yrs + experience (in ASP.net/ASP/VB/CSharp/SQL) in Dublin is.

The figure I have in my mind 350 to 450 euros per day.

Any links or advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Graduate developer with 10yrs+ experience in (ASP.net/ASP/VB/CSharp/SQL)?? Find that hard to believe..

But contract rates for that experience level around 350 - 500 per day dependant on the job requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Was ASP.net and C# even around 10 years ago? I don't think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Yea but ASP, VB and SQL are around longer than 10 years.

The OP was probably just listing the length of their professional experience and the technologies they have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, 350 to 500 per day would be about right. Depends on which platform you're going for (ASP or ASP.Net) and how long you've been working in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HarrierJoe

leahcim wrote: »
    Yea but ASP, VB and SQL are around longer than 10 years.

Thanks leahcim - atleast you have some common sense. I wasn't going to list my whole repertoir here.

But for those who requires detailed explanation in order to function - the DotNet experience is really only last 1 half to 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

/me gets the fo of his full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

You might think it is great and dump the full time job but there are setbacks...

It is difficult to have something on every day, you don't get holidays, you need to have a company and sort out your books or else have an expensive accountant do it but with all this in mind... it is great, you are your own man/woman and you get great variety out of your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

How does one go about acquiring the contracts though? An agency perhaps or maybe through contacts in the industry?

sicruise wrote: »
    You might think it is great and dump the full time job but there are setbacks...

Sure, but it depends whether you are smart about it or not!

John_MC wrote:
    How does one go about acquiring the contracts though? An agency perhaps or maybe through contacts in the industry?

Babysteps! Begin small, small projects, then gradually expand. If you are any good your work should speak for itself and word of mouth should get around. But there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

HarrierJoe wrote: »
    I am trying to find out what the hourly contract rate for a (graduated) developer with 10yrs + experience (in ASP.net/ASP/VB/CSharp/SQL) in Dublin is.
    dublindude wrote:
    Was ASP.net and C# even around 10 years ago? I don't think so...
    HarrierJoe wrote:
    Thanks leahcim - atleast you have some common sense.

I don't think it's common sense actually. Saying you have "10+ years experience in C#, ASP.net, ASP, VB and SQL" means you have 10+ years experience in C#, ASP.net, ASP, VB and SQL...

If I was a recruiter (and I am a recruiter) I would be thinking to myself here's another bull****ter.

I'm not trying to be annoying or particular, I'm just saying you need to word your experience properly (you don't have 10+ years experience in C# or ASP.NET.)

As you say yourself -
    HarrierJoe wrote:
    DotNet experience is really only last 1 half to 2 years

- there's a massive, massive difference between 1-2 years experience and 10 years experience.

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote: »
    (you don't have 10+ years experience in C# or ASP.NET.)

If I left out the CSharp - would it make a difference to the contracting rate?

Well I'm assuming you want to work in a .NET environment?

I know a guy who had about 6 years Delphi experience and was a team lead in the company he worked for. He had done bits and pieces of .NET stuff but would have had little actual experience. I would consider him a good programmer.

He now contracts for €350 per day doing .NET stuff.

So he had many years experience but very little .NET yet he managed to get in at the lower end of the scale. This would make me think you should be aiming for the €400 per day bracket HarrierJoe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

I know of no .net contractors (and i know a lot, and am one myself) who gets less than €400 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It really seems that it is .NET where the money is now a days?
    I'm going to be out of college soon enough with Experience in x86 asm/c++/c/java and outside I do a lot of PHP but I amn't so sure if this will be worth anything.

Must start looking into .NET :)

Advertisement