Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC XP - Laptop Vista - Setup network share

Options
  • 09-01-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I am running Windows XP connected directly to an Eircom Netopia wireless router and I am trying to share a folder (music) from the XP box to a laptop running Vista it I cannot get Vista to see the XP box.

Both XP and Vista can access the wireless router for internet access and the XP box can view the Vista latop in network connections but cannot connect as I get a permissions denied error.

Has anyone tried to share folders from and XP box over a wireless network to a Vista box and gotten this to work ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Can you check if the Vista Laptop can see the XP machine by pinging it.

You will need to get the IP address of the XP machine. (Do to command prompt and type ipconfig.

The get a command prompt in Vista and type ping IP address here

Make sure firewalls are off on both machines

if you can ping the xp machine, see if you can see shared drives by typing the following at the command prompt

net view \\IP address

You should see any shared drives

Try it and let me know.

Advertisement